Tools

Thoroughbreed

Aug 4, 2006
South Eastern AL
Ok, my question is this:
What size are the bits that are used for grabirons, mu hoses and so forth?
And will they fit into a standard dremel type tool? Or do I need a "pin vise" type attachment?

LongIslandTom

Apr 8, 2006
Long Island, NY
Heya,

I usually use #79 drills to drill the holes for grab irons, lift rings, etc.

For MU hoses, something bigger like a #68.

What tools to use will vary from person to person.. I've used a pin vise all this time with no problems.

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Running those tiny drill bits in a dremel might be possible, but I would not recommend it. Broken bits fly at high speed and can do lots of damage...

A pin vise is much easier to control, and it does not take long to drill through most plastics, resin or wood. Brass is not much tougher...

This is a great pin vise that comes with some of the bits you might need: http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=1&p=41753&cat=1,180,42337

Andrew

brakie

Nov 8, 2001
Bucyrus,Ohio
Visit site
Russ Bellinis said:
If you are trying to drill through plastic, those tiny bits will not only break easily in a Dremel, but the Dremel won't run slow enough to keep from melting the plastic.

There is a way by using a battery power Dremel..You don't want a fully charged battery but,one that is about half charged and I use the 5,000rpm setting.. It takes a very few seconds but, DO NOT FORCE the bit..Let it do the work...You see IF you FORCE the bit it will break as noted above.
Also Dremel makes a collet set for small drill bits and they also make a dandy drill bit set as well...