Took another hike

Tyson Rayles

Sep 25, 2001
Poverty Acres, North Carolina
Visit site
We found some items at first, only one of which was for sure railroad related. Other than the narrow gauge railroad spike the rest of the stuff could be related to anything not just railroads or railroad workers. The little nail was interesting in that it appears to be handmade, square shaft, square head, tip cut or hammered out at a 45 degree angle (made you wonder what kept the nails from running off at a angle when you hammered em' in). The fork doesn't appear to be silver, stainless I think. The red and white lid is for "POPS-RITE" instant popcorn. According to the lid it sold for under a dollar (has a cent sign painted on it with blank space for store to fill in amount) and made 7 quarts, a real bargain don't you think? :D If anybody knows anything about this company can you fill me in on it please? The other lid was interesting in only that I can't remember the last time or what the product was that came with the key to open the can made on the lid.

Attachments

• other.jpg
    other.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 193

brakie

Nov 8, 2001
Bucyrus,Ohio
Visit site
Tyson,There is nothing like exploring old abandon right of ways.
When I lived in Kentucky I would explore old abandon right of ways of long forgotten Kentucky short lines and branch lines.I found tie date pins,old ties,buried rail,what appeared to be a part of a old steam engine-I could not tell it was rusted so bad.footing for old water tanks,building foundations,rotted whistle posts,old bridge abutments and such like.I also found a rusted navy colt with the wooden handles missing from the civil war era? I often wondered how that pistol got there...

Sometimes walking these abandon right of ways you can almost hear the "ghostly whistle" from the train that ran on that track.

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
That's really a neat find Tysom!
40lb rail was real common on eastern short lines, & branches, & from the looks of it , it appears to be iron rail, which would date it well back into the 1800's.

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Wow, when did this jump in here, anyway I like the photo's Tyson cos it's narrow gauge :D

Shamus

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
Dec 28, 2000
Georgetown, Ontario,Canada
I walk my dog along an abandoned rairoad. The tracks have been lifted for salvage but it is still possible to find a spike.
Looks like you have some great trails around your neck of the woods Tyson

Tyson Rayles

Sep 25, 2001
Poverty Acres, North Carolina
Visit site
Robin all the track and ties were pulled up but you can find an occasional piece. Jimmy will have to hold off on the bookends. It's slated for display at the local libary, then at the end of summer the local train store/Lionel museum is having it's 1st anniversery during Railfest and wants it for display there.

N Gauger

1:20.3 Train Addict
Dec 20, 2000
South Eastern, PA
mywebpages.comcast.net
Originally posted by Tyson Rayles
Robin all the track and ties were pulled up but you can find an occasional piece. Jimmy will have to hold off on the bookends. It's slated for display at the local libary, then at the end of summer the local train store/Lionel museum is having it's 1st anniversery during Railfest and wants it for display there.

Wow -- Way Cool - A true historical item!!!! Neat!!!!