Ton's Orion Project

Discussion in 'Space & Aeronautics' started by Nando, Sep 28, 2008.

1. Nando

Nando Designer Extraordinaire

Just to keep my hand practiced, I did the Ton's Orion Project that I downloaded from Jonathan's site.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The model is easy and I didn't find any problem building it.
    I choose to build the version with the Command module separated and I added the clear windows (it's hard to see into my pictures).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I added too some reinforcement at the connection of the solar panels on the back side of the service module.

[​IMG]

That's all forlks.

My Crawler, Apollo, etc. are collecting dust, but I see that in this forum many members are busy like me. I hope that better time will be for all of us for coming back to build our models... :thumb:

Enjoy,
    Nando :mrgreen:
  2. Robot Exodus

Robot Exodus Member

That's an amazing build, Nando. :mrgreen:

I still can't believe America is going back to the moon...

Have you considered building an LSAM to go with it?
  3. underwoodl06

underwoodl06 Member

how did you make the CM stay in place on the SM without it falling off?
  4. Nando

@Robot Exodus

Thanks for your kind comments. Yes, I'd like to build the Jonathan's LSAM model, but it's more complicated then Orion and now I have so little time :cry:

@underwoodl06

It's matter of precision, first of all precision of the designer: Ton's models are well designed and each part perfectly fits. Then I managed so that the heat shield of the CM could well fit with the SM, carefully rounding off its edge whit sandpaper. :mrgreen:

Nando :wave:
  5. gpw

gpw Member

Wow , great job Nando. :thumb::thumb::thumb:

Some month ago I built this model and two other older versions you can also find on Jonathan´s side. If you are interested in those I can make some photos and post it.

Gerd
  6. WeeVikes

WeeVikes Member

Nando,

Your work always amazes me. Beautiful, as usual.

I need to build these...

Mike
  7. Nando

@gpw

Yes I am! I love Your models (Surfduke's Saturn I, Currel's N-1, Leo's Vostok and Woshod, Your chimpanzee flight couch, etc.). You're a master for me! :inw:

@WeeVikes

My compliments for Your Saturn V launch. You are very courageous to flight such a model, with a risk to destroy all that work! I early renounced to fly my models when I destroyed my first free glider into a tree: NEVER AGAIN, it's better to see my models in a shelf!

PS: I stopped my crawler mainly because i can't build the proper Saturn V ...sign1
  8. WeeVikes

WeeVikes Member

Nando,

The beauty of that model is that I probably don't have more than $8 invested in the Saturn V. The vast majority of the expense was the Estes body tube I used as the motor mount/ejection charge duct in the core of the rocket. There's a 1/4 inch dowel that forms the LES and runs thru the CM, SM, LMA, & S-IVB as a structural "backbone" and allows me to attach the parachute to that portion of the rocket. The main body tube of the S-1C and the S-II is just an appropriately cut sheet of posterboard, with the details of Ton's kit glued on the outside. Corrugated cardboard makes up structural forming rings inside the tube. There's nothing to it! If I crash it, I can rebuild it cheaply and easily! In fact, the first time I flew it last year, I did trash the lower portion on it's second flight, however, I was able to get it up and running again in no time.

I'd be afraid of launching an expensive Estes Saturn V kit. This one... not so much. Oh, I also have a "regular" Ton Saturn V kit that I do have for display only, so I'm good in that regard.

The launcher is another story. I was scared to death the first time I flew off it. I was afraid the exhaust would scorch the launcher, or that the rocket would crash into the tower, but nothing of the sort happened. The LUT I'd never want to have to build again. It's still a little nerve-wracking when I take it out, but I'm confident that the rocket won't hurt it.

Sigh, I'll TRY to get the Historical Series moving... I'm in a new work assignment, and my kids have me up to my eyeballs with football games, marching band, school stuff, etc, and my wife has been traveling a lot. I'll try, ok? ;-)

Mike
  9. gpw

gpw Member

Nando,

here some photos of my Orion builds. All designs by Ton Noteboom.

Gerd

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  10. WeeVikes

WeeVikes Member

Gerd,

Those are great!

I'm curious, though. The landing bags on the Command Module model... Did Ton do those, or are they original to you?

Beautiful builds.

Mike
  11. Nando

Gerd,
    I had reason to want to see your models: they are a master piece :thumb:

... and now I saw that Ton has just posted a new Orion version on the Jonathan's site .... :cry:

Nando
  12. gpw

gpw Member

13. underwoodl06

underwoodl06 Member

gpw, you did an awesome job on those models. They look brilliant. and the Airbags are a nice touch, I only wonder if they are still debating scrapping that idea for water landings. I also like the really detailed LAS you did. What scale is that?
  14. nexstarman

nexstarman New Member

I had a go at Ton's 1/96 Ares 1, but I downsized it to 1/200 to save on space. Also because there is Nick's nice 1/200 Delta 4H I am also making to have something to show against it. Finished it yesterday. Both models are from the Lower Hudson Valley Challenger Center website.

Attached Files:

15. gpw

gpw Member

Thats a great job, Nexstarman. :thumb::thumb::thumb:
  16. nexstarman

nexstarman New Member

For anyone who's got a position on Ares vs. EELV, here is Nick's Delta 4 Heavy from the Lower Hudson Valley Challenger Center... the model is a little larger than I anticipated.

Attached Files: