Tomorrow is changing day

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Hi all, just thought I would let everyone know that tomorrow I am losing broadband Internet and going back via modem, the cost is just too much for 24 hour surfing. So if my website or email is down, you know why and it will be back up within 48 hours hopefully.

You know how long it takes for people to flip a switch.:D and then another one:D

Cheers all
Shamus

rockislandmike

Nov 6, 2001
Edmonton AB
dayfornight.qazam.com
Interesting. I couldn't live without my broadband, and, over the last couple of years, my wife has become convinced now too. Neither of us could live with dialup.

And here in Canada, the difference really isn't that much. I pay $34.95CDN for my DSL (unlimited online time of course), while dialup would be $21.95 per, and max me out at 100 hours per month (each hour thereafter $1.50 per). The extra $13CDN per month is easily justified in my mind, to be *always* connected whenever I'm on the computer, and for the speedy download times.

kettlestack

Jan 18, 2002
Scotland UK
Visit site
Shamus, at $560 a year for broadband here in the UK I don't blame you for changing to dial-up. My car insurance is cheaper than that and a lot more important to me (and it I'd get a lot of change out of that expenditure). At perhaps 6 hrs a day on-line I can't see the sense in my even thinking about broadband.

However for those who want or need it, it's great! :D
Errol

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
I doubt I shall be on the web much after the weekend, it is going to cost me far too much on a phoneline. The only reason we had broadband was the fact my Son David used it for work (Self Employed) now he is leaving home on Monday for good to live in Ireland.

Shamus
waver.gif

DanRaitz

May 30, 2002
Maricopa, AZ, USA
Shamus,

After we got settled in here, we had to make the decision: dial-up or cable modem? (DSL is not avail here, yet).
A second phone line and dial up internet access would have cost us $10.00 a month less than going with a cable modem. We decided to go with the cable modem. Why? Because of the higher speed. After using it for the last month now I don't see myself ever going back to dial-up if I don't have to.

Dan

jkristia

Aug 1, 2002
Simi Valley, CA,
Visit site
Originally posted by shamus
I doubt I shall be on the web much after the weekend, it is going to cost me far too much on a phoneline. The only reason we had broadband was the fact my Son David used it for work (Self Employed) now he is leaving home on Monday for good to live in Ireland.

Hopefully we will still see you around occasionally. We have to. We need you input and wisdom.

Jesper

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
Oh no - say it ain't so Shamus! You're our inspiration, our guide, our dare I say guru. We need you here!!!!!!!!
Maybe when you'll sell enough copies of your CD you'll be able to come back to broadband again. Here's hoping......

cheers
:D Val

Originally posted by spitfire
Oh no - say it ain't so Shamus! You're our inspiration, our guide, our dare I say guru. We need you here!!!!!!!!
Maybe when you'll sell enough copies of your CD you'll be able to come back to broadband again. Here's hoping......

cheers
:D Val

And that's the truth!

Shamus,

We're sort of in the "same boat". My son is staying in our "low-rent" establishment while he recovers from 11 mos. of unemployment. Fortunately he is now employed and uses the broadband in his work also, and is paying for it.

When he goes I'm not sure what we'll do. We've gotten spoiled to BB and would hate to go back to dial-up. We'll see...

We will sure miss you. You have been a real encouragement to us "new-guys" ("Nice bridge, Jim!"...Yeah, right! Shamus.)

Coming from you that's really nice and you must be some gentleman to compliment our meager efforts the way you do.

We'll look forward to hearing from you and seeing your work when we can.

Tootle-pip, for now,

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Your not being here on a regular basis is going to screw me up big time. I have not been on this forum very long and I'm just now learning who's here all the time and who to rely on for answers, inspiration and great pictures. You're right up there in my opinion.:)

I know that you guys on that side of the pond all have your minutes metered. I do not, nay, I cannot get broadband, but at least I have a reasonably priced flat rate on dial-up.

Good luck and cheer up. I hope you find a way to hang around here in spite of your predicament.

Don

MCL_RDG

Dec 8, 2002
S.E.PA.
Visit site
I'm going to change too.

I did my laundry and will- without a doubt change my socks. Well, I'll try anyway (if I can get these off, Heck, they only have 3 days on 'em)!

anonymous:D

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
Dec 28, 2000
Georgetown, Ontario,Canada
Well I have never had anything beyond dial up. Now dial up costs me $19 a month for unlimited use. My baud rate with a 56bd modem usually runs at 48 to 49.8 bps.
Thats good for my normal use for e-mail or browsing the Gauge and even uploading photos doesn't take very long. I avoid long downloads other than my anti-virus updates. With windows XP the updates just happen without me even knowing which is great.
Our monthly basic phone service bill is $30.04 and that provides unlimited local calls. I don't have cable but do have a satelite dish but there rates for internet use is still far too high for me.

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jan 19, 2002
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Visit site
Now this sounds like a "catch 22" to me!
If you go to dial up, you won't be on the puter as much, SO, you'll have more time to build, and take pictures, and before long, you'll need the broadband just to post all those great pictures!:D :D :D

I looked at the cost of BB, and..... well I'm still on dial up. It is slower, but something, is better than nothing at all. You're like a member of the family, Paul, try not to be gone too long at a time.
Pete