Tokyo Tower/Tokyo Sky Tree -- Lighting Question

Gummitale

Greetings!

Thanks to Amazon, I recently acquired a pair of rare and expensive Japanese architectural models ---
Sega's 'Tokyo Tower 2007' is in 1/500 scale and comes nearly fully assembled. The model also features LED lighting.
Bandai's 'Tokyo Sky Tree' comes in 1/700 scale, and this one must be assembled by the modeler. It also features LED lighting, which leads me to my question ---
While the Bandai 'Sky Tree' does have a battery option, both models also come with adapters and plugs for household current - Japanese household current. Those in the know will tell you that Japan runs on less voltage than America does - some 100 to 11oV vs. 120V. So...would some sort of voltage converter be necessary for these models if I wanted to exhibit or display them fully lit for an extended period of time, like several hours? I certainly wouldn't want to risk burning out the LED's prematurely. And if such a converter is indeed necessary, where might be the best place for me to obtain one? Home Depot, or some such place?

Thanks for any help!

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
The wall wars for these things rectify the A/C voltage to D.C., which they filter the pulses out using Capacitors and Resistors. LED's are D.C. operated. Look at the stated output voltage of the wall Wart (plug) that came with the lights. Go to Radio Shack and buy an adjustable Voltage Wall Wart, they come with various tips which allow you to match the polarity to what you need, also written on the Japanese "Wall Wart" (plug).. Match the Voltage, and match the polarity, one the piece that plugs in it will say "Tip" on one side, on the part that goes to what you plug into the wall, you will see a +/- sign, match the tip to the appropriate polarity. Start at the lowest Voltage and go up till the lights come on, in the event you do not know, or cannot find the voltage. Amazon has a variation of the same thing. I am showing it to show you how they both come with a variety of tips, one certainly that will suit your needs.

71YeCmDk-KL._SY355_.jpg

02730316_01.jpg

Gummitale

Zathros:

'Wall Warts"...? Never heard that term before... :) But thanks for the tip! When I get some free time, I'll see if I can pull those two kits out from the basement and check their plugs.

Gummitale

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Start at the lowest voltage, and work your way up, to find the Voltage you need.

This site will tell you what components you need, and has all the information for LED circuits, and an online calculator.

LED Calculator Site = http://ledz.com/?p=zz.led.resistor.calculator (One of many out there) :)