To Use DCC" MRC" Reverse Loop Module Or Not

:confused:Hello All, I have just completed my reverse loop, on my HO gauge layout, I am using DCC from MRC Prodigy Advanced unit, has anyone had success using MRC's Reverse Loop Module# AD 500 or has anyone had problems with this unit. Alternatly, are there any on the market that are relatively simple to hook up and work well that you would recommend? Any help here would be very helpfull. :rolleyes:

planeshavings42

TrainNut

Ditat Deus
Well if you have not seen my thread, I'm having all kinds of problems with the DCC Specialties reverse loop module. I think (with a massive amount of help from many members here) we have determined that I got a defunct unit but all the same...
This morning, I had another member PM with an offer to try out the MRC unit to see if it would work or not. Once I receive it, I will let you know.
My Digitrax Zepyr requires 2.54 amps or less and the DCC reverser came factory set at 5 amps thus the need to reprogram it down to a lower amperage. From what I have read, the MRC unit is set for 2 amps.

Yep, I did see your Thread

Well if you have not seen my thread, I'm having all kinds of problems with the DCC Specialties reverse loop module. I think (with a massive amount of help from many members here) we have determined that I got a defunct unit but all the same...
This morning, I had another member PM with an offer to try out the MRC unit to see if it would work or not. Once I receive it, I will let you know.
My Digitrax Zepyr requires 2.54 amps or less and the DCC reverser came factory set at 5 amps thus the need to reprogram it down to a lower amperage. From what I have read, the MRC unit is set for 2 amps.

announce1Hi TrainNut, Yes, I did see your thread, and that is what prompted me to ask for help before committing to buy any without advise from members of the gauge. Not being a super electronics person myself, I know that I couldn't handle the problems you have been challenged with. I will pray that you are able to work out the problems you are having TrainNut, let us all know how it works out, and thank you for your helpful thread.

planeshavings42sign1

w8jy

I have used the MRC units with great success. I do have an MRC Prodigy Advanced system. However, I have talked to other hobbyists who have successfully used MRC reversing modules with other systems.

Gary Pfeil

My experience with the MRC reversers was less than stellar. They tended to work fine with diesels. They almost never worked with my brass steam. I believe but can't say for sure that the wheelsets that cross the gaps need to be picking up power. The MRC units also would not change polarity when the gaps were shorted with a screwdriver or coin. However it was not so cut and dry, as sometimes diesels also failed to go thru.

Another possible issue in my case was the use of Atlas turnouts in the throat of my staging yard. My reverse blocks were actually staging loops at each end of the railroad. At each end of the 3 track staging (3 reverse blocks) were 2 Atlas turnouts. The track power feeds were at the point end of the first turnout of each ladder. The possible resistance of the points and connections in the Atlas turnouts may have been a contributing factor. When I switched to Tonys units (no longer available) my problem went away, but did occasionally surface again. I added more feeds and have never had a problem again.

w8jy

The difference in turnouts may have been the deciding factor between my lack of problems and the problems encountered by Gary. I used all Peco turnouts, properly gapped, and lots of power feeds. Diesel or steam (N gauge) work equally well with the MRC reverse module.

Been Helpful

Thank You Gary and Jess, sound's like I shouldn't have much problem with the MRC's, as I am using Pico Turnouts as well. Your input is most appreciated.

Keep On Tootin, planeshavings42:wave:

TrainNut

Ditat Deus
As I just stated in my other thread, I just tried an MRC unit with no luck. To me, this suggests it may be my Digitrax Zephyr controller. I dunno. I'm callin' Digitrax tomorrow.