TO THE HURRICANE VICTIMS

Discussion in 'Everything else' started by GEEDUBBYA, Aug 30, 2005.

1. 46rob

46rob Member

It's not just the coastal areas that are devasted. The size and strength of this storm pushed hurricane force winds nearly to the Tennessee border. When you think about how to send in relief to that large of an area--the mind just doesn't grasp the scope of the demand or need. It isn't just the areas you see on TV--the major Cities and coastal areas---these are just the welll recognized parts that the media has gravitated to. Cities like Hattiesburg and Jackson are torn up, as well as smaller towns and rural communities. Get out your maps and draw a big oval--starting at the gulf, at the mouth of the Mississppi, and going north and expanding to near the Tn border. That's what we have to deal with--not just a few cities and some coastal resort areas. Add to it the fact that when people were told to evacuate--they didn't. Not all were unable, either fiscally or physically....some just stayed because they didn't want to leave. Residents of the Gulf Coast have been enduring hurricanes all their lives and, having survived before, had no reason to think otherwise this time. There's also a natural tendency to want to stay and protect your own turf--I know I would be torn between fleeing and staying put--we discusssed it prior to the storm's arrival, and before the last few, as well. I still don't know what we'd have done, had Katrina made landfall 100 miles to the east.
  2. 46rob

46rob Member

It's not just the coastal areas that are devasted. The size and strength of this storm pushed hurricane force winds nearly to the Tennessee border. When you think about how to send in relief to that large of an area--the mind just doesn't grasp the scope of the demand or need. It isn't just the areas you see on TV--the major Cities and coastal areas---these are just the welll recognized parts that the media has gravitated to. Cities like Hattiesburg and Jackson are torn up, as well as smaller towns and rural communities. Get out your maps and draw a big oval--starting at the gulf, at the mouth of the Mississppi, and going north and expanding to near the Tn border. That's what we have to deal with--not just a few cities and some coastal resort areas. Add to it the fact that when people were told to evacuate--they didn't. Not all were unable, either fiscally or physically....some just stayed because they didn't want to leave. Residents of the Gulf Coast have been enduring hurricanes all their lives and, having survived before, had no reason to think otherwise this time. There's also a natural tendency to want to stay and protect your own turf--I know I would be torn between fleeing and staying put--we discusssed it prior to the storm's arrival, and before the last few, as well. I still don't know what we'd have done, had Katrina made landfall 100 miles to the east.
  3. nebeltex

nebeltex Member

my .02 USD....

....the PTA headquarters is located about a mile from the gulf's relatively placid waters. over the years (26) we have seen so many storms come by or through, we can't keep up with all the names or dates. for some we have stayed, for others we have bugged out. we are about 5' above MSL. living in the "zone", it is not a matter of "if" but "when". this requires, not monday morning quarterbacking, but saturday evening coaching. it is a strange feeling to lock the doors and wonder if anything will remain when you return. it is, however, a fact of life. municipal and other leaders typically look at best case scenarios as well as the worst. the worst is seldom planned for and when it is worse than the worst, plans go out the window. what has occurred is nothing short of a disaster for america as a whole and is resulting in socal upheaval in the areas concerned (as far west as san antonio texas). after "alicia" hit galveston in the early '80s, the guard was quickly deployed and martial law was declared. curfews, limited freedom of access, troops in the streets, etc. this rapid reaction was likely due to history (galveston's 1900 storm is, so far, still the worst. the history of that disaster is harrowing. even by today's standards), the fact we were not involved in a war overseas, and the fact that texas has a right to have their own armed forces. i feel everyone needs to be prepared for the inevitable fallout from katrina. am i the only one smelling a recession in the wind?
  4. nebeltex

nebeltex Member

my .02 USD....

....the PTA headquarters is located about a mile from the gulf's relatively placid waters. over the years (26) we have seen so many storms come by or through, we can't keep up with all the names or dates. for some we have stayed, for others we have bugged out. we are about 5' above MSL. living in the "zone", it is not a matter of "if" but "when". this requires, not monday morning quarterbacking, but saturday evening coaching. it is a strange feeling to lock the doors and wonder if anything will remain when you return. it is, however, a fact of life. municipal and other leaders typically look at best case scenarios as well as the worst. the worst is seldom planned for and when it is worse than the worst, plans go out the window. what has occurred is nothing short of a disaster for america as a whole and is resulting in socal upheaval in the areas concerned (as far west as san antonio texas). after "alicia" hit galveston in the early '80s, the guard was quickly deployed and martial law was declared. curfews, limited freedom of access, troops in the streets, etc. this rapid reaction was likely due to history (galveston's 1900 storm is, so far, still the worst. the history of that disaster is harrowing. even by today's standards), the fact we were not involved in a war overseas, and the fact that texas has a right to have their own armed forces. i feel everyone needs to be prepared for the inevitable fallout from katrina. am i the only one smelling a recession in the wind?
  5. Rick Thomson

Rick Thomson Member

<When the police turned their backs on looters carrying off food--they ended up giving tacit approval to all forms of looting. >

I dunno Rob, there is a difference between a mother or father doing what they must to feed their kids, and those I've seen with the plasma TV's ( dunno what good they will be after getting wet) or the designer clothing.

I'm just glad that I've never been put in that situation, either as a "looter" or as the guy with the uniform, but at the risk of being an armchair quarterback ( I detest them about as much as you, I expect), I'd say turn a blind eye to the first sort, and shoot the second.
  6. Rick Thomson

Rick Thomson Member

<When the police turned their backs on looters carrying off food--they ended up giving tacit approval to all forms of looting. >

I dunno Rob, there is a difference between a mother or father doing what they must to feed their kids, and those I've seen with the plasma TV's ( dunno what good they will be after getting wet) or the designer clothing.

I'm just glad that I've never been put in that situation, either as a "looter" or as the guy with the uniform, but at the risk of being an armchair quarterback ( I detest them about as much as you, I expect), I'd say turn a blind eye to the first sort, and shoot the second.
  7. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Hey Y'all,

As one in the area that Rob has described......I've posted on other sites, so I'll be brief here.

TV reporters are reporting for ratings.........looting gets people watching........guys driving through chest high water getting people out....dosen't. It's a sad fact that people will watch bad stuff, get bored and turn off good stuff.

Help is coming and here! Remember that the storm hit Monday morning..........New Orleans made it pretty much throught the storm, even the reporters were saying on Tuesday that New Orleans luck was holding out.......Then BAM! the levies started breaking very early in the morning on Wednesday. Most of the immediate help headed to the AL and MS coast.....then had to try and get to New Orleans on roads that were imppassable or no longer there.

With no power to get helicopters fuel they could only make a few trips and stay for a short time then get back to where they could re-fuel......mostly about 180 - 200 miles away.

Now they are re-fuel over Lake Ponchatrain... and with longer stay times got most of the people out ASAP.

To put it in persepective.........my family lives about 60 miles south of me......they just today SUNDAY got power. Folks around me are still with out power. I'm almost 180 miles from the coast.

Rob nailed it......this thing walloped us big time.......heck my cousin in GA had to deal with the tornadoes this storm was still putting out 500 - 600 miles in-land.

Don't do kilometers, so you guy over the big water got to do the conversion. Believe me it far.

Anyway...........from a guy here working to get things back to normal.........THANKS for the help. The people I've talked with from the coast and New Orleans all say the same thing too.........THANKS for any help given........we ain't used to asking for it..........but we know when we need to.

John
  8. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Hey Y'all,

As one in the area that Rob has described......I've posted on other sites, so I'll be brief here.

TV reporters are reporting for ratings.........looting gets people watching........guys driving through chest high water getting people out....dosen't. It's a sad fact that people will watch bad stuff, get bored and turn off good stuff.

Help is coming and here! Remember that the storm hit Monday morning..........New Orleans made it pretty much throught the storm, even the reporters were saying on Tuesday that New Orleans luck was holding out.......Then BAM! the levies started breaking very early in the morning on Wednesday. Most of the immediate help headed to the AL and MS coast.....then had to try and get to New Orleans on roads that were imppassable or no longer there.

With no power to get helicopters fuel they could only make a few trips and stay for a short time then get back to where they could re-fuel......mostly about 180 - 200 miles away.

Now they are re-fuel over Lake Ponchatrain... and with longer stay times got most of the people out ASAP.

To put it in persepective.........my family lives about 60 miles south of me......they just today SUNDAY got power. Folks around me are still with out power. I'm almost 180 miles from the coast.

Rob nailed it......this thing walloped us big time.......heck my cousin in GA had to deal with the tornadoes this storm was still putting out 500 - 600 miles in-land.

Don't do kilometers, so you guy over the big water got to do the conversion. Believe me it far.

Anyway...........from a guy here working to get things back to normal.........THANKS for the help. The people I've talked with from the coast and New Orleans all say the same thing too.........THANKS for any help given........we ain't used to asking for it..........but we know when we need to.

John
  9. Gil

Gil Active Member

I stayed up very late the morning Katrina made landfall. I had been following this monster for nearly a week and knew we were in deep trouble when the storm bloomed into a category 4 over the super warm gulf waters. Developing into a category 5 hurricane 24 hours prior to landfall pretty much sealed the fate of everyone in its way. I started looking to see who in the media was doing live coverage of this monster that filled the Gulf from the Yucatan Penninsula to the Floriday Keys. Not a single major media entity had live coverage. I was stunned that the media seemed to be totally asleep on this the biggest storm anyone has seen in recorded history..., Everyone in Washington, D.C. was on vacation and was apparently operating on remote control.

The damage left behind is something that just can't be shown on a television. You have to be there or fly over the zone to understand the massive damage these storms can cause and Katrina will certainly never be forgotten for she now holds the record for mind boggling destruction. Normal response teams were totally dumbfounded as no one has or had experienced destruction on this scale. Just how to get help in to the affected areas became a major dilemma as most all transportation avenues had been destoyed. The best bet being an amphibious assault ship which are just now bringing in supplies from the Gulf.

Many will point fingers but few will lift one to help. My heart and sympathies go out to all who have had their lives affected and it is my hope that they will overcome their adversity. That which doesn't kill you will only make you stronger. I'm hoping that all of us are doing what we can in our own small way to help those affected by this catastrophe...,

Thoughts, Gil
  10. Gil

Gil Active Member

I stayed up very late the morning Katrina made landfall. I had been following this monster for nearly a week and knew we were in deep trouble when the storm bloomed into a category 4 over the super warm gulf waters. Developing into a category 5 hurricane 24 hours prior to landfall pretty much sealed the fate of everyone in its way. I started looking to see who in the media was doing live coverage of this monster that filled the Gulf from the Yucatan Penninsula to the Floriday Keys. Not a single major media entity had live coverage. I was stunned that the media seemed to be totally asleep on this the biggest storm anyone has seen in recorded history..., Everyone in Washington, D.C. was on vacation and was apparently operating on remote control.

The damage left behind is something that just can't be shown on a television. You have to be there or fly over the zone to understand the massive damage these storms can cause and Katrina will certainly never be forgotten for she now holds the record for mind boggling destruction. Normal response teams were totally dumbfounded as no one has or had experienced destruction on this scale. Just how to get help in to the affected areas became a major dilemma as most all transportation avenues had been destoyed. The best bet being an amphibious assault ship which are just now bringing in supplies from the Gulf.

Many will point fingers but few will lift one to help. My heart and sympathies go out to all who have had their lives affected and it is my hope that they will overcome their adversity. That which doesn't kill you will only make you stronger. I'm hoping that all of us are doing what we can in our own small way to help those affected by this catastrophe...,

Thoughts, Gil