TO THE HURRICANE VICTIMS

Discussion in 'Everything else' started by GEEDUBBYA, Aug 30, 2005.

1. Kaz

Kaz Member

Thoughts and Prayers

My prayers go to all of those who were affected By Hurricane Katrina
  2. Kaz

Kaz Member

Thoughts and Prayers

My prayers go to all of those who were affected By Hurricane Katrina
  3. Jimi

Jimi Member

Same here. my sympathies to the victims of the hurricane.
  4. Jimi

Jimi Member

Same here. my sympathies to the victims of the hurricane.
  5. raiwong

raiwong Member

Same here too. My prayers and thoughts go to those affected by the hurricane.

BTW. www.raicardmodel.com is down temporary. Sorry, couldn't inform you all earlier as the hosting company did not warn me earlier. :(
  6. raiwong

raiwong Member

Same here too. My prayers and thoughts go to those affected by the hurricane.

BTW. www.raicardmodel.com is down temporary. Sorry, couldn't inform you all earlier as the hosting company did not warn me earlier. :(
  7. dwgannon

dwgannon Member

My heart and prayers go to the victims of this tragedy.
  8. dwgannon

dwgannon Member

My heart and prayers go to the victims of this tragedy.
  9. Niels

Niels Member

I am chocked - so many dead - so many still missing - my thougths goes to them all.
  10. Niels

Niels Member

I am chocked - so many dead - so many still missing - my thougths goes to them all.
  11. Jim Krauzlis

Jim Krauzlis Active Member

Well, I got real good news today about my friend, Russell Barnes, and his family.

They are all fine, their house survived with only superficial damage and some downed trees. He suggested that anyone who is able do support the relief efforts for victims of the storm.

In regard to the storm he said, first there was anticipation, then experience, then expectation, then imagination....then it all went far beyond the redline to where they are now. His house is about a mile inland from the beach so luckily they were not affected by the storm surge. He is indeed very lucky but many tens of thousands of others have not been so fortunate...the number of people affected and the losses are just staggering.

So, I thank you, John, and everyone who are working and helping the survivors ensure their well being, care and recovery...as many who have watched the events unfold over the last week have probably seen, this has been a tragedy of unprecedented proportion; even though there were some bumps in the first recovery efforts the strength, determination and undaunted spirit of those helping and those being helped has shown to be more than up to the task even at these early stages. They deserve our support, thanks and, more importantly, our prayers.

Jim
  12. Jim Krauzlis

Jim Krauzlis Active Member

Well, I got real good news today about my friend, Russell Barnes, and his family.

They are all fine, their house survived with only superficial damage and some downed trees. He suggested that anyone who is able do support the relief efforts for victims of the storm.

In regard to the storm he said, first there was anticipation, then experience, then expectation, then imagination....then it all went far beyond the redline to where they are now. His house is about a mile inland from the beach so luckily they were not affected by the storm surge. He is indeed very lucky but many tens of thousands of others have not been so fortunate...the number of people affected and the losses are just staggering.

So, I thank you, John, and everyone who are working and helping the survivors ensure their well being, care and recovery...as many who have watched the events unfold over the last week have probably seen, this has been a tragedy of unprecedented proportion; even though there were some bumps in the first recovery efforts the strength, determination and undaunted spirit of those helping and those being helped has shown to be more than up to the task even at these early stages. They deserve our support, thanks and, more importantly, our prayers.

Jim
  13. patriot missile

patriot missile Member

New orleans and the hardest hit areas will come back stronger then ever!!
    but most of the buildings will have to come down if the water contiues to degregate the foundations of structures
    but good news is major us air carriers are airlifting like 4o flghts per hour to the Kelly AFB, and cruise ships will also be used ( according to ABC news tonight)
    but 1. why did it take so long to respond??? the tsunami we helped in about 24 hrs??
    2.why is homeland security invovled so intensely??
    3. do we feel safe incase we get hit again with a dirty nuke or what have you, do to the response time??
    4. as for the looters??? if anyone has to go through that we would all steal food and water for our families,,,, but not tv's and electronics and other things
  14. patriot missile

patriot missile Member

New orleans and the hardest hit areas will come back stronger then ever!!
    but most of the buildings will have to come down if the water contiues to degregate the foundations of structures
    but good news is major us air carriers are airlifting like 4o flghts per hour to the Kelly AFB, and cruise ships will also be used ( according to ABC news tonight)
    but 1. why did it take so long to respond??? the tsunami we helped in about 24 hrs??
    2.why is homeland security invovled so intensely??
    3. do we feel safe incase we get hit again with a dirty nuke or what have you, do to the response time??
    4. as for the looters??? if anyone has to go through that we would all steal food and water for our families,,,, but not tv's and electronics and other things
  15. NYC Irish

NYC Irish Member

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :!: :!: :?: :?: :!: :!: :?:
    We all send our best wishes and hopes to the people of the area but...

THIS ISNT THE PLACE FOR THESE QUESTIONS...PLEASE PLEASE go somewhere else...

John John
  16. NYC Irish

NYC Irish Member

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :!: :!: :?: :?: :!: :!: :?:
    We all send our best wishes and hopes to the people of the area but...

THIS ISNT THE PLACE FOR THESE QUESTIONS...PLEASE PLEASE go somewhere else...

John John
  17. 46rob

46rob Member

FEMA is part of Homeland Defense. It takes time to call up the National Guard--remember they're not on active duty--and to transport them to the needed areas. Unlike the Eastern Indian Ocean--there is no Carrier battlegroup in the Gulf of Mexico. It took days for ships to steam from Norfolk to the Northern Gulf Coast, thanks to base cluosures and re-alignments. It used to be that there were Navy ships homeported all around the Gulf.

The area destroyed is the size of Great Britian--New Orleans was just one part of the problem.

When the police turned their backs on looters carrying off food--they ended up giving tacit approval to all forms of looting. The police were spread Very thin. Many rural areas were hit as hard or harder than the Biloxi coast and New Orleans--no press coverage--just make-go on your own for them. These are the folks coming into town here to load up on provisions and fuel to take back to share with their neighbors.

A disaster of this magnitude could strike any city--regardless of location--maybe not a hurricane, although the entire east coast is vulnerable--but other disasters--either natural or man made. This ought to be a wake-up call to ALL Mayors, Governors and other officials, that real world planning has to be done to ensure that evacuations can actually be performed, that sufficient assets are in place to maintain order and to get accurate information to the populace.

Last year, Ivan hit our city with great fury. All lines of communications were lost, including radio and televison. No phones, cell towers down...roads impassable--and no fuel. No one knew what ws happening--where relief could be found. Rumor abounded. And--that storm was a Sunday rain shower in comparison to what's happened this year to the west. Multiply that by 100 or 1000--and thats the situation over there.

I beleive that the folks in charge are doing their level best with the assets they've got--regardless of what the tlaking heads say. Second guessing and Monday Morning Quarterbacking is easy, and hindsight is 20-20. When you're up to your neck in alligators, it's hard to remember that the objective is to drain the swamp.
  18. 46rob

46rob Member

FEMA is part of Homeland Defense. It takes time to call up the National Guard--remember they're not on active duty--and to transport them to the needed areas. Unlike the Eastern Indian Ocean--there is no Carrier battlegroup in the Gulf of Mexico. It took days for ships to steam from Norfolk to the Northern Gulf Coast, thanks to base cluosures and re-alignments. It used to be that there were Navy ships homeported all around the Gulf.

The area destroyed is the size of Great Britian--New Orleans was just one part of the problem.

When the police turned their backs on looters carrying off food--they ended up giving tacit approval to all forms of looting. The police were spread Very thin. Many rural areas were hit as hard or harder than the Biloxi coast and New Orleans--no press coverage--just make-go on your own for them. These are the folks coming into town here to load up on provisions and fuel to take back to share with their neighbors.

A disaster of this magnitude could strike any city--regardless of location--maybe not a hurricane, although the entire east coast is vulnerable--but other disasters--either natural or man made. This ought to be a wake-up call to ALL Mayors, Governors and other officials, that real world planning has to be done to ensure that evacuations can actually be performed, that sufficient assets are in place to maintain order and to get accurate information to the populace.

Last year, Ivan hit our city with great fury. All lines of communications were lost, including radio and televison. No phones, cell towers down...roads impassable--and no fuel. No one knew what ws happening--where relief could be found. Rumor abounded. And--that storm was a Sunday rain shower in comparison to what's happened this year to the west. Multiply that by 100 or 1000--and thats the situation over there.

I beleive that the folks in charge are doing their level best with the assets they've got--regardless of what the tlaking heads say. Second guessing and Monday Morning Quarterbacking is easy, and hindsight is 20-20. When you're up to your neck in alligators, it's hard to remember that the objective is to drain the swamp.
  19. Ashrunner

Ashrunner Member

Rob has done a very good job of describing the situation. As with Rob, I have been on the receiving end of aid, but I have also been on the provider end.

There is a lot which goes into providing aid, but the most important is situation assessment. That alone could take up to a day or more, determining what is needed, how to get it to where it is needed and many other things need to be considered. It's not easy and during the planning phase of one relief effort, I can recall a rather lengthy argument regarding where to take evacuees so they could be taken out of the area.

Finally there is the scope of this disaster. New Orleans is getting the lion's share of the coverage, but the entire Louisana, Mississippi and Alabama Gulf Coasts have been destroyed with aid going to those areas also. To have pre-planned and been ready for a disaster of this magnitude, would have been impossible. The scope of this event is unimaginable.

I thought the world ended when Mt. Pinatubo blew up in my face at the same time a super typhoon hit the area. Hurricane Katrina makes that event seem like a bad day on the beach.

My thoughts are with all those affected by this storm.
  20. Ashrunner

Ashrunner Member

Rob has done a very good job of describing the situation. As with Rob, I have been on the receiving end of aid, but I have also been on the provider end.

There is a lot which goes into providing aid, but the most important is situation assessment. That alone could take up to a day or more, determining what is needed, how to get it to where it is needed and many other things need to be considered. It's not easy and during the planning phase of one relief effort, I can recall a rather lengthy argument regarding where to take evacuees so they could be taken out of the area.

Finally there is the scope of this disaster. New Orleans is getting the lion's share of the coverage, but the entire Louisana, Mississippi and Alabama Gulf Coasts have been destroyed with aid going to those areas also. To have pre-planned and been ready for a disaster of this magnitude, would have been impossible. The scope of this event is unimaginable.

I thought the world ended when Mt. Pinatubo blew up in my face at the same time a super typhoon hit the area. Hurricane Katrina makes that event seem like a bad day on the beach.

My thoughts are with all those affected by this storm.