To scratch or bash On30 ore cars?

webmaster

Does anyone have any resources for either scratch building or bashing ore cars?

I can't seem to find any plans anywhere on the net so I'm a bit reluctant to start from scratch. I was thinking about bashing either some HO gauge wagons or O gauge wagons, but I can't decide which way to go.

Has anyone got any ideas?

I'm after something like this as an end result.
View attachment 25952
Or this
View attachment 25951

Attachments

• Gilpin-Ore-Car.gif
    Gilpin-Ore-Car.gif
    9 KB · Views: 205
  • Yukon-Copper-ore-car.gif
    Yukon-Copper-ore-car.gif
    32.1 KB · Views: 201

jcoop1

The Yukon Copper looks great, I don't think it would be too hard to bash that one.
Please keep us updated. I love this On30 stuff and have a few running around in circles. Hope to get to some bashing myself one of these days.

Russ Bellinis

I did a Google search on narrow gauge trains and found this web site. I noticed you are from the U.K. and found this dealer in the U.K. He might be able to help you to locate plans for scratch building. Bachmann has a couple of ore cars in On30, but they appear to be more of an operating dump style than what you are looking for. If you were able to get one of the square ones instead of a pack of three, you might be able to kitbash it into what you are looking for and then duplicate it in a scratch build of a bunch of them for your railroad. The web site I found is www.ngtrains.com

Tileguy

Garden Railways had an Ore car plan set in G scale that was very similar to what you are showing there.june/july 2001 issue was called One - Cord Ore Car.
Was a nice plan but would have to be scaled down which isnt to difficult.
These plan sets can be found on ebay once in a while and generally run 2-12.00 depending on what it is and how many bidders.
Nice thing is, when your done with it you can turn around and resell it :)

ross31r

sratchbuild them - its faster.

unless you can get hold of the bachmann silver series hoppers, they could probably be made into half-way decent 0n30 ore cars, they are fairly basically detailed cars to begin with.

Thats the only thing i can think of.

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Scratch'em.... the beauty of On30 is that there is more than enough room for freelance. As long as you try to follow typical building practices/logical structure, as in strong enough to have been able to actually work, cheap enough to have been approved by corporate, and still function.
Of course, it helps when you have an active shipyard as the parent corporation, that can build an articulated steam loco from the ground up!......and will restore just about anything!:D :D :D