To reverse or not?

Hello everyone, got a question for you!... I have an around the garage folded dog bone layout. My question is this... Are there any benefits to haveing a reverseing section of track? In other words, with this type of track plan do i really need to be able to reverse the direction of a train? Any thoughts or comments are gladly welcome, as im thinking of removeing the reverse loop. Thanks!

Depends on your operating scheme.

If you don't have an operating scheme, then are you happy watching the trains go in the same direction all the time or having to turn them around using the 0-5-0?

The reversing section can be fun either way, whether you're using it as an operational device (to route a train differently or line it up for trailing point/facing point sidings, etc.) or just to get 'er going the other way for a while.

Just depends on what you want to get out of it. Hope this helps.

(Also, it sounds like you're not all that thrilled with the responses you got on the other thread...am I right?)

Galen

When I first heard of DCC and reversing loops, before I bought a single piece of track... I said to myself "I've GOT to have a reversing loop"

I ended up with a loop and a wye, and am very happy I did. I think running trains would be boring without them. Just my opinion.

In fact, the first thing I ordered when I first got into this hobby was you MRC reversing loop module!

jetrock

There are several ways to turn your trains around: the reversing loop, the wye, turntables and the ol' reliable 0-5-0, in decreasing order of space required.

A reversing loop is pretty simple, it just requires some special wiring but nothing overly complex. It is the least prototypical (rarely one finds something called a "balloon track" in real-world railroading) but easy to disguise as something else, or a way to make your blobs work double duty.

A wye is fairly prototypical (they are found often on the prototype) but their operation on a layout is a little trickier: instead of running through and throwing one switch, a back-and-fill requiring several switch throws is needed. They're nice near yards or branch interchanges.

Turntables are mechanically a little more work but ideal for small spaces. They are less necessary if you use locomotives that don't need to be reversed (center-cab diesels etc.) but they can be handy. Obviously you can only turn one car at a time (maybe two) but generally freight cars don't need to be turned, you can just store the train in a yard track, reverse the locomotive, re-spot the caboose and then go back to the new front of the train.

LoudMusic

EngineerKyle said:
When I first heard of DCC and reversing loops, before I bought a single piece of track... I said to myself "I've GOT to have a reversing loop"

I ended up with a loop and a wye, and am very happy I did. I think running trains would be boring without them. Just my opinion.

In fact, the first thing I ordered when I first got into this hobby was you MRC reversing loop module!

Yep, DCC is, to me, the key here. On my DC layout I had two reversing sections and though it all worked 'flawlessly' I was constantly frustrated by the changing direction of my controller switch.

DCC makes reversing EASY. If you're doing DCC put in at least one method of reversing your locomotives. I would suggest a balloon and a wye if you have the space.

Well everyone, thanks for the input, it really got me thinking, so i went back out in the garage and traced all my steps up until i lost power. Guess what? I added another Peco Electra frog switch and with that, i had to add a power gap. AH HA! Well, needless to say, i forgot to add a feeder wire where i had gapped the rails. So, problem solved and im keeping the reverse section. Thanks again for all the input!
steve:thumb:

Yes,

Wether it's computer problem solving or Model Trains.... When something suddenly goes wrong ask yourself, "What changed?"

I'm glad you're up and running Steve.

LoudMusic

EngineerKyle said:
Yes,

Wether it's computer problem solving or Model Trains.... When something suddenly goes wrong ask yourself, "What changed?"

I'm glad you're up and running Steve.

But if it's women trouble, asking "What changed?" really doesn't do you much good - just cover your head and run for the garage.

;)