to much concrete

Discussion in 'Tips & Tricks' started by railroader9731, Aug 21, 2006.

1. TruckLover

TruckLover Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer

Yes it could happen depending on if the truck has a full load or not. If the cement truck has a full load or close to it and it starts off to fast, the cement will come right out of the shoot and onto the floor or in LM'S case, onto the car behind the truck.
  2. kirkendale

kirkendale Member

Here are couple of pics of the concrete blocks my place of work uses. As you can see we use full size blocks and 1/2 size. Of coarse if we need more 1/2 size it does not take much to snap them... (yea a little more difficult than score and snapping styrene but the same principal sign1 )

Attached Files:

3. TruckLover

Cool Pics kirkendale!!

Where do you work at??
  4. kirkendale

kirkendale Member

here are a couple more block pictures.... visitors seem to always get a kick out of our 'hoffa' block
    the second pic is of old 1/2 blocks. you see the key design is simpler as it is straight but it is also less versatile.
    TruckLover, I dont know if you could make individual blocks in N scale and stack your own walls but, if you poured a small sheet of plaster and score the joints, would that work?

Attached Files:

5. TruckLover

I think that would work. I would be doing it in HO scale so I might be able to make individual blocks.

Do you have any pictures of where the blocks are made?? This sounds like a cool place and just the type of thing I like to model.
  6. kirkendale

kirkendale Member

thanks TruckLover,
    I work at a scrap aluminum yard.
  7. TruckLover

Scrap aluminum yard??? What do you use the concrete blocks for?

I have been wanting to do a scrap yard for some time but I really don't have anywhere to put it right now. :cry: :cry:
  8. kirkendale

kirkendale Member

TruckLover, here we go again.... :curse: phone keeps ringing and my thread reply keeps timing out.... we use the blocks as walls to make storage bins. some years ago we needed a few hundread blocks so we actualy made the mold and gave it to a local concrete yard for first access to new blocks. In July, we bought 90 from a new supplier, hence the difference in the key design.
    Here is a sketch for a mold to make some. What if you made a slip form for the sides and ends. the base/bottom would fit snuggly on the under side. The space in the bottom piece would make the protruding key. Pour plaster into the top, smooth off then insert the key piece. When the plaster is set pull out the key,pop off the base and push out the block.

Attached Files:

9. TruckLover

HHHMMMM, that looks like it would work. Waht would I make a mold out of?? Styrene or cardborard?

I could use these things all over my layout and too make them into bunkers also for my cement and other industries. bounce7
  10. MasonJar

MasonJar It's not rocket surgery

I would make the mould from styrene. Carboard may draw too much water out of the plaster and make the block... actually.. probably more prototypical. They don't look very well made... :rolleyes: ;)

Seriously, I think with a cardboard form, you would not get many moulded before the cardboard deteriorated. Maybe you could use the coated cardboard that is used for food boxes (like frozen dinners, etc).

Andrew
  11. kirkendale

kirkendale Member

I agree with MasonJar, styrene would 'slip' better.
    TruckLover, what if you made a strip mold? use styrene for the bottom/base and for the key strip on the top, make it long enough to make say 4 or 6 blocks. make the sides from cardboard. yes you only may get one block per mold but if it works You might be able to knock out a number at one time.
    I am also thinking maybe we should transfer or continue this thread in the scratchin & bashin section... how say you ?
  12. Dave-the-Train

Dave-the-Train Member

:thumb: I like the concrete blocks!

How about carving a block or blocks in wood and using a latex mould? that way when a mould wears out you still have the master available to make a new one.

Do you use the boot shaped cast concrete wall blocks (from 4' to 8' tall) in the US?

A Bit better description of what I mean... these precast things are about 4'-6' wide and are either T shaped or L shaped with a bit of a heal (hence the boot shape). We use them to make silage pens, and in places like refuse collection centres and builders' supply yards. They usually start life with a steel loop in the top so they can be craned into place but these seem to be cut off more often than not.

I wouldn't expect concrete to slop out of a truck as the company's insurance bill and the local authority wouldn't let them stay in business long. These days the trucks get hosed down (or even put through a fixed wash rack) at least at their home depot and often when moving off site... all in the name of the envirnment. In the old days they used to slop cement coloured water a little but only near the start of their run.

What is very satisfying is towing a trailer back from dumping building waste with a load of dust in the bottom. When some berk in a sports car insists on tailgating it's great to go over a rut or a grade crossing at speed and watch him disappear in the cloud of dust...