To keep, or not to keep........

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by Woodie, Jul 2, 2002.

1. Woodie

Woodie Active Member

Guys,

I just had a big clean out today, and a huge tidy up. I found all sorts of goodies in little bags and boxes, but..........
    What should I keep?
    Do I go as far as keeping those "bits of string to short to use"?

Bits of rail, unused kit parts, rolling stock and loco packages/boxes, paint pots with just a tiny bit left, broken bogies, wheels, half a coupler here and there, kit instructions, labels, boxes, half a loco, where you've used the other half (drive train) in another kit.... all those sorta bits and pieces.

What do you guys keep, and what do you throw out????

:confused:

What prompted the clean out and tidy up, was I was looking for the little packet of headlight lenses I bought six months ago for my T Class kit loco....... took me half the day to find them!! I knew I had put them in that "special spot" so I wouldn't forget where they were!!............. :rolleyes:
  2. Gary Pfeil

Gary Pfeil Active Member

Woodie, I keep it all, so without a question my advise would be throw it out!

Gary
  3. sumpter250

sumpter250 multiscale modelbuilder

woodie,
    My philosophy is; whatever you throw away today, you WILL need tomorrow.
    pete
  4. Vic

Vic Active Member

Keep It

Keep it all Woodie... what you throw away today you'll need tomorrow. This is known as the Second Law of Model Railroading:D :D
  5. t. alexander

t. alexander Member

I like Gary's reverse Psychology. By saying he keeps it all so you should get rid of yours should insure you keep yours too. ;)

However there was this one really truly useless part in my scrap box that always seemed to be in the way when looking for that special part. I ended up chucking it.

t.
  6. Vic

Vic Active Member

DANG! T!, That was just the part I needed!!!:D :D :D
  7. t. alexander

t. alexander Member

Vic, I don't know, are you sure you need a molded plastic base for an Atlas maintenence shed? :p :D

t.
  8. Drew1125

Drew1125 Active Member

Hey Woodie,
    I built a scrap yard for my "scraps"...:D

Attached Files:

9. Bill Stone

Bill Stone Member

I keep absolutely everything. I even scrap out non model rail stuff to keep the goodies. Junk video casettes have nice little flat, springy contacts in them. And I recently disassembled a 1920's typewriter (it wasn't in good enough shape to have any antique value) and got a zillion neat little items out of it. Like small shoulder screws, steel rods, a few gears, etc, etc.

Like most of the guys here say: If you throw anything away, you'll need it tomorrow.

Bill S
  10. N Gauger

N Gauger 1:20.3 Train Addict

Keep it!!

... " Like most of the guys here say: If you throw anything away, you'll need it tomorrow. "

Yeah, but I've been "collecting" spare parts for 30 Years. I got to the point a few years back where I can look for something for an hour .. :)

I know it's here somewhere -- But I can't find the stupid thing... :D :eek: :D

~~ N Gauger
  11. rich maiorano

rich maiorano Member

you mean like having a million and one screws and not remenber where they came from
  12. brakie

brakie Active Member

Woodie,Here is what I do. the smaller parts and little odds and ands I keep. The true junk I toss.

What is true junk? Things like old wheels that I really have no use for,bases for builders,spurs,X2f couplers,paint bottles with dry or very little paint left, empty paint bottles,building kit boxes,small pieces of track less then 1/2",manual switch machines that came with the Atlas manual switch,and such like.

I feel that keeping true junk has no real value and takes up room for the good junk!
  13. N Gauger

N Gauger 1:20.3 Train Addict

No, :) I mean having a Gazillion Nuts & bolts & screws and NO Two fit each other... ROFL :D :D :D

I have 2 large coffee cans full of "old parts" and I even have a can full of video game panel push buttons. Also the standards we all come to love, a can of capacitors, a can of resistors & LED's, and the Mandatory can full of "transformer speed controls" LOL

Which I guess starts another Question: What's the strangest thing you've "not wanted to throw away" and how long have you had it & Still Not Used It!! :) :)
  14. t. alexander

t. alexander Member

strangest thing

Mabey more stupid than strange but it would be that Base i metioned earlier. It lived in my main scrap box until just the other day. :eek: and would you believe it as soon as chuck it Vic says he needs it. :D

Non railroading item would have to be my brain. :p

t.
  15. Voice

Voice Member

The most useless item??? For me, after the waxed capacitors, and unmarked resistors, it would have to be a 4-gang variable transformer. I've always planned on building a good power supply, and a variable transformer is better than a rheostat for speed adjustment. NOW, though.....DCC comes along, and I don't know WHAT I'll do with the variable transformer.

Oh, how long have I had it??? Only about 35 years, now.....(':D')

Dick
  16. alkcnw

alkcnw Member

Hey Woodie, I know what you can do with all your junk. MAIL IT TO ME!!!!!:eek:
  17. Vic

Vic Active Member

The Strangest & Most Useless

This "Dude" has been residing in one of my junk boxes for at least 30 years:eek: :eek: :D Don't ask me where he came from or how he got there....I don't know:D :p :D :p

I think I've "pitched" him at least a dozen times but he always turns back up:D :D :D :D Sounds like a Stephen King story don't it!!!:D :D :D :D :D

Do I win a prize or something????:D :D :D :D :D :p

Attached Files:

18. YakkoWarner

YakkoWarner Member

Bits of rail- Toss
    unused kit parts- Keep
    rolling stock and loco packages/boxes- Toss
    paint pots with just a tiny bit left- Toss
    broken bogies- Toss
    wheels- Keep
    half a coupler here and there- Toss
    kit instructions- Keep (make a manilla folder for you file cabinet or scan tham into a word document)
    labels- Toss
    boxes- Toss
    half a loco, where you've used the other half (drive train) in another kit- Hmmm... that's tough. I think Keep.

I like to throw stuff away. I find that if after tossing something, I think I need it, I can get another or a substitute rather easily.

When in doubt, throw it out!
  19. bobrien

bobrien Member

Hey Woodie - I am a famous junk keeper. So famous at it that I had a hell of a problem deciding what I would throw away so I could get into the shed to build the workbench - which meant I threw away nothing. Just moved into another shed. And soon I will have the first shed full of junk from my railroad.
    This junk thing is just one big vicious circle - but if you don't keep it, you are BOUND to need it sometime you know...
    ;)
  20. Sempak

Sempak Member

Vic,
    Try mailing the monkey 'dude' to one of us and see how long it takes for him to hitch as ride back...

Reminds me of a rocking horse we have that still grows hair frim the bit of hide its main is made from :rolleyes:!

--Sempak (Chris)