To gloss or not to gloss.....

Woodie

Mar 23, 2001
Northern Rivers NSW Australia
All,

Now that I have completed a couple of "makeovers" and half way through building a Victorian Raliways T Class hightop kit, I thought I'd get opinions on preferred finishes. I've done my rollingstock kits in Testors Glosscoat, (using floquil flat colours) and the loco's in Testors dullcoat (after gloss humbrol colours). The gloss looks a real clean shiny finish, but I feel the loco would look better in a cabinet, not on the layout. However the dullcoat look a bit more realistic on the layout. hmmmmmm. Opinions?

TOOT!

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
Woodie,
It's really a matter of personal taste.
I'm not familiar with the equipment you're talking about either.
In the U.S., back when the Class 1's were still running their own passenger trains, a lot of pride was felt for these various "name" trains. These trains were kept in top-notch working order, & appearance, with equipment that gleamed. (they didn't call it a "varnish" for nothin')
On the other hand, a road switcher running up & down a coal branch only needed horsepower, & not good looks.
So my advice would be, if you're modeling a fast, classy passenger train, lay on the gloss. For the slow-moving little local freight, lay on a nice coat of road grime, & some Dullcote.

Woodie

Mar 23, 2001
proto03.jpg

A Victorian Railways T Class hi-top with W Class passenger rolling stock. This is typical Victorian Railways of the 60's - 80's. A set the same as this now graces the tracks of Garahbara!

I found the dullcoat (aerosol spray) really settles the gloss down a bit (as I brush paint all my kits)

TOOT!

[This message has been edited by Woodie (edited 07-05-2001).]

George

Jan 1, 2001
Visit site
Woodie,

I have to agree with Charlie. Those wagons look ancient and probably are. Depending on how well maintained they are, if it's a long distance haul, gloss. Local, flat finish.

george.

Woodie

Mar 23, 2001
They make the most of rollingstock here. Those W Class wooden cars were built in the 20's 30's and were still in use in the 80's. They built a whole heap of rollingstock for the Melbourne Olympics in 56. (blue S Class) and most of these are still running today (with overhauls, and paint jobs!) It took them 60 years to replace the suburban rollingstock in Melbourne and Sydney too! So it gives me a good deal of years to prototype with!! hehehehe
smile.gif

TOOT!

proto04.jpg

The W Class and P Class (blue) built around 1956. (with T Class loco) circa 1973.

N460PassengerWodonga.JPG

The P Class as they are today. (3rd overhaul!)

[This message has been edited by Woodie (edited 07-05-2001).]