Tmcc

Discussion in 'G / O / S Scale Model Trains' started by MCF, Dec 11, 2005.

1. MCF

MCF Member

Awaiting arrival of my first train set - Lionel Diamond Freight. I want to be able to control it remotely and use all the features the TMCC allows. What exactly do I need to purchase to make the set remote controllable. I believe I need two things....the remote module and something else, but not sure. Please let me know, and the cheapest place to order it from. Thanks alot!!! MCF
  2. MCF

MCF Member

I know I need the Trainmaster Command Set...but do I need anything else with the setup?

THANKS!!!
  3. spankybird

spankybird OTTS Founder

Are you planning on only running TMCC engines? Are you ever going to run conventional or MTH engine?

It TMCC only then you only need a transformer, CAB1 and Command Base.
  4. spankybird

spankybird OTTS Founder

5. Chief Eagles

Chief Eagles Active Member

Spankybird is right. To run that set, transformer, Command Base and CAB1. Be sure you have a grounded outlet. TMCC works off of the ground which has to be a good connection. Very simple to install. As you grow, you should add DCS and then you can run all manufacturers' trains. That SD80 is a BIG engine. Be sure to put lube on the gears. I also recommend that you get a needle oiler and put a drop behind each gear to reach the shaft. These engines need a little extra lubing. Great set. Enjoy.
  6. MCF

MCF Member

Thanks....

So I can use the transformer that came with the set and then just get the Power Command Center and a CAB1?
  7. MCF

MCF Member

Is this all I need????

OR Get the TMCC Command Set 6-12969 (includes TMCC
    CAB-1 remote 12868 and the base 12911) for $90 together in a nice
    orange display box.
    Retail $129.99 Hobby Station Discount Price $90

When I was at the hobby store, they were telling me that I needed something in addition to this...something in a pretty small box that was like $45....they didn't make it clear to me what it was or what it did...thanks!!!!!!
  8. spankybird

spankybird OTTS Founder

I am not sure what that would have been unless it was a "Direct power Lockon". I believe this has a breaker in it incase you have a derailment.

Do realize that this setup will put 18 volts to your track 100% of the time. Therefore you can not run conventional or MTH engines with out buying more hardware. :rolleyes:

:wave:
  9. Chief Eagles

Right..New transformer and Command Base and CAB1. Follow the insturctions. You will then put 18V on the track and use the CAB1 to Command the engine [you can use 16V but will limit the top speed which is OK as this is a powerful engine]. As Tom says, can not run other engines usless TMCC with remote. You can still use the transformer handle to vary voltage for conventional. Enjoy.
  10. MCF

MCF Member

Thanks...but I guess still a little confused...

So I need the TMCC Command set AND another transformer? The transformer that came with the set will not suffice?
  11. MCF

MCF Member

Also......

I see people saying you can not run conventional engines or MTH engines with the TMCC setup....I don't think I ever will, but if I want to 'unlock' all the potential of this set and run it remote controlled, what other way is there to do it other than the TMCC equipment offered by Lionel?
  12. spankybird

spankybird OTTS Founder

The transformer that came with your set should be fine.

The other way is to use MTH DCS command system. This will still require you having the Lionel Command base and you should also have the CAB1.

So you will ask why should I do this???

If you wish to run Conventional engines, Old Lionel, K-line, Williams, etc.
    then you will need to add a PowerMaster
    Power Master (to run convention engines from your Cab 1 = $66.00
    This is included in DCS.

If you wish to run MTH engines on TMCC system you will have to add a TPC unit
    TPC (300) (to operate PS2 engines in Conventional mode only) = $94.00

This is included in DCS.

If you wish to record "Action Recorder"
    Action recorder (Make recordings of your favorite layout scenarios and play them over and over again. Record layout scenarios using your trains and
    accessories) = $62.00

This is included in DCS.

Surge protector
    You should also have a surge protector (Scott’s Odd-n-ends) to protect all your electronics = $50.00 (approx. – depending on which one you buy)
    This is included in DCS.

As you can see, many of the extra that Lionel will nickle and dime you with is already in DCS pluss then you can run all MTH PS2 engines in commade, which TMCC cannot do.

To start with you are fine, TMCC Command Base and CAB1 you will need no mater what. If you start buying more add ons, then take a second look at what you are doing.

13. Chief Eagles

I just put the conventional engine on the track and use the handle on the transformer to raise and lower the voltage [just like TMCC was not there]. Then when I use the CAB1, I run the voltage to 18V and activate the TMCC engine with the CAB1. Run that engine with the Odyssey on. That engine will creap if you learn how to move the red throttle slowly on the CAB1. Nothing to be scared of.
  14. spankybird

spankybird OTTS Founder

But Chief to run a conventional engine at the same time on the same track with a TMCC engine then you will need the PowerMaster.

With DCS you can do just as you discribed or control the conventional engine thru DCS (var channel 1) and still run the Command engine, both on the same track at the same time.
  15. MCF

MCF Member

How much....

for a DCS? The TMCC set-up is about $150....
  16. Chief Eagles

Tom is right if you want to go to DCS so you can run everything by remote. If you just want TMCC, the transformer you have now, Command Base and CAB1 will work. I got the DCS and then added the Command Base. I could then run them all by my DCS remote. I wanted to lashup two Lionel TMCC engines so I got a CAB1 [can not do a Lionel lashup with DCS unless you pull a "trick"]. Now I perfer to run my MTH's with DCS remote and my Lionel TMCC's with CAB1. That is my personal preference.
  17. spankybird

spankybird OTTS Founder

TMCC Command Base and CAB1 = $90.00 you will need this for either setup

TMCC Extras
    Powermaster = $66.00
    TCP = $94.00
    Action recorder = $62.00
    Surge Protecter = $50.00
    Total Extras = $272.00

DCS can be bought for about $269.00

You will spend about the same amount of money on both, but with DCS you can also run MTH engines in Command, TMCC cannot.
  18. MCF

MCF Member

So it sounds like for now....

I can do the TMCC Command Base and Cab1 for my set and in the future if I want to expand, I can get all the TMCC extras (if I only want to run Lionel TMCC Engines) or the DCS if I want to run other engines (non TMCC and TMCC). Since I need the TMCC Command base and Cab1 for my current set up and it will be needed whether or not I go DCS, it will not be wasted, correct? Any good place to get the TMCC Command Base and CAB1 on-line for a good price?
  19. spankybird

spankybird OTTS Founder

The TMCC Commad Base and CAB1 you will need no mater how you set up. Go ahead and buy it.

The extras from TMCC will be a waste of money if you also plan on DCS in the future. They do the same as DCS (kinda of) and cannot be used with DCS, therefore a waste of your money.

Try Davis Trains at

www.davistrains.com

20. MCF

MCF Member

Thanks....

I will do the TMCC Command Base and Cab1 now and if I expand in the future, I will decide to do either the extras or the DCS....