TMCC and Non-TMCC - same track?????

Discussion in 'G / O / S Scale Model Trains' started by MarcO, Jan 14, 2008.

1. MarcO

MarcO Member

Ok need your help again guys -
    I have the PE set + 52ft of fastrack set up, runs great with the included cw-80, no power taps required.
    Wife has just informed me that she is buying me a railsounds loco ( pray its the 6-28541 I lust after ). She had no idea that I would need to go TMCC to get all the sounds.

Whats my best option to run the PE and a Railsounds 5.0 loco on the same track, but NOT needed to be at the same time?

I thought I could add a train master command set 6-12969 but page 210 of the v2 2007 lionel catalog says I have to give them like $500! Im guessing thats to run them at the same time. Any and all options you have for me would be great (solder thru expensive)

Thanks
  2. Geno

Geno Member

MarcO,
    If you want to run conventional engines with TMCC, pick up a CAB-1 remote (6-12868 ) and PM-1 Powermaster (6-34120)- with the CW-80 you will be able to run your trains remotely. If you get an engine with TMCC, then you will need a command base (6-12969) as well. All thrre of these can be purchased from Train Express Train Express - Welcome for about $53 each.

If you want to run a TMCC loco and a conventional engine at the same time, you will have to create separate blocks of track, as TMCC runs at 18v and conventional runs at less voltage. I f you're going to do two loops I'd get another CW-80, or better yet an MRC Dual Power AH601(270w).

6-28541? An SP SD-40T-2 w/TMCC and Odyssey? You've got good taste. Unless your LHS has one tucked away, you'll have a hard time finding one- they've been sold out for some time. This is a scale engine, and although it can run on 036 it will look much better running on wider curves (048,060,072). I have the UP version, and they are nice, but you'll want to get some scale cars to make a train.

Geno
  3. MarcO

MarcO Member

Geno, good news, I have confirmed its the 6-28541. I guess since I told her we could re-do the hardwood floors shes feeling thankful. I do love that tunnel motor. She found one on ebay for $400 -

Ok so I told her to go Legacy instead of Cab-1. Its only ~$250 for the #990 LEGACY Command Set (6-14295).

What else do I need with that set-up to also run the PE train remotely?

Thanks. I hate to ask dumb questions but the lionel stuff drives me nuts and you guys are experts.
  4. Geno

Geno Member

MarcO,
    Good deal- those espee tunnel motors are popular, even with the issue of truck placement (if you look at the Lionel model and and a picture of the real thing, the trucks are off). But they do pop up on Ebay from time to time.

I don't have Legacy myself, but I'm assuming you could still control your Berk Jr. as well as any other conventional loco with the CAB-2 and either the PM-1, TPC-300, or TPC-400. I'm sure the Legacy manual covers how to hook up any one of these 3 controllers to it. And Legacy will control the TMCC engine, so you're set there.

Geno
  5. MarcO

MarcO Member

Actually the manual is a joke for the hook-up. It shows the ZW and a TMCC lock-on and suggests I get one of those (why? who knows..) every forum on the net has people asking the same questions as me.

Q: What else do I need to run my PE loco and a TMCC loco via remote, but need not be at the same time, on a small track when Ill I have is a CW-80 and a Legacy #990 Command Set?

Some say:

PowerMaster (6-24130) or PowerMaster (6-12867) whats the differance? or better
    180-Watt PowerHouse Power Supply or better (6-22983)

anybody agree or disagree?
  6. Geno

Geno Member

MarcO,
    Those part nos. for the Powermaster are both correct, but still basically the same part (I think 6-24130 is a reissue). The 180w PowerHouse (6-22983) is probably a better choice to power your setup, but you need the power adapter cable (6-12893) to go from the Powermaster to your power supply.

Geno
  7. MarcO

MarcO Member

So I could run with the Powermaster and the CW80 but dont need the adapter cable?
    Add the powerhouse and the cable only if I need more power?
  8. Geno

Geno Member

You still need the cable, which connects the transformer to the Powermaster. You then run a wire from terminal A on the Powermaster to the middle rail and a wire from terminal U to the outside rail. Make sure to set the proper switches for program/run, command/conventional, and 135w /180w.

The CW-80 is capable of providing 18v and 5 amps (enought to run TMCC engines), so it will be fine at first- when you get some diecast Husky Stacks for your tunnel motor (heavy train) you 'll find you may need more power.

Here's the manual for the Powermaster:
    http://www.lionel.com/products/productnavigator/InstructionManuals/71-2867-250.pdf

Geno
  9. MarcO

MarcO Member

Mailman dropped of the SD40T-2 today. How do I attach a pic?

6-28541, has the L-window and the mars light. All i ever wanted for the nasty 50F winters here. A bit bigger than the Intermountain N-gauge and as it turns out, alot more fun even without TMCC up and running. On the analog CW80 you get start-up sounds and smoke along with both bell and horn. Well worth $400!

Ok I think ill go PM-1 and Legacy 990 to start, then hunt for a 180w Powerhouse at <$60.

Geno - a big thank you for the help, anything you want or need just ask. I have a diplomatic passport and im tax exempt.
  10. Geno

Geno Member

MarcO,
    No worries-always glad to help. You need to have your pics posted on a photo sharing website, and then go to the gallery section of this Forum and post them there. You then can use the 'insert image' icon on the toolbar in the 'reply to thread' window and have the pics appear in your reply.

Have you decided what cars you're thinking of for your espee TM?

Geno
  11. MarcO

MarcO Member

Not sure yet. I think im going to get a 2-3 big hoppers or 2-3 container cars. Got any ideas? Im looking for what you might see in the SF bay area.
    hey I really like that trainexpress link you sent me. Its the only place Ive found so far that divides the rolling stock up by "Standard O" and not.
  12. Geno

Geno Member

MarcO,
    I'm into modern 3 rail scale, so the vast majority of engines and rolling stock I have are pretty much what you see on the rails today. I have alot of intermodal- MTH and Lionel Husky Stacks, K-Line DTTX 5-unit well cars and TTAX 5-unit spine cars, 'Atlas 89 flat cars- easily over 40-50 cars there. I also like modern Autoracks- have about 25 of the '75 MTH corrugated Autoracks, and 5 of the Atlas 140' articulated Autoracks (these guys are monsters, each about 3' long).

I probably have over 200+ assorted freight cars as well- MTH 50' high cubes, MTH 75' I-beam flat cars, Atlas 33k Unibody tankers, 17.6k unibody tankers, 50' box cars, all kinds of grain hoppers, etc. It's safe to say it took me years to amass this inventory (over 16 yrs.), but it's easy to buy what you like when you know what it is.

Since you bought a scale engine I'd recommend staying with scale cars as well- they're about 20-30% more expensive than the semi-scale or traditional cars, but will look better IMO with your engine. I'd recommend putting together an intermodal double-stack train- very common everywhere. I like Lionel's Husky Stack 'scale' version better than MTH's even though it's slightly off (less than 1/2"), because it's diecast and has far better detailing. They are about $60 apiece, or about $110-125 for a two-car set, available in a variety of roadnames- TTX, SF, BN, CoeRail, AZCA, CSX.

Pick up a copy of O Gauge Model Railroading or Classic Toy Trains magazine- there are plenty of mail order advertisers with good deals on scale rolling stock. I recommend Charles Ro, Train Express, Justtrains, Jim's Train Shop, and AM Hobbies- all good mail order shops with plenty of inventory.

Geno
  13. MarcO

MarcO Member

Ok sounds good. I like the huskys but I dont want to go doublehigh yet. Also found these for a good deal at charlesro: 6-11653 Fruit Express Mechanical Refrigerator Car 2-Pack. I always saw them around when i was a kid.
  14. Geno

Geno Member

MarcO,
    I know about the Lionel 57' Mechanical Reefers too- I passed on them because the Weaver version is more realistic, and also can be ordered with generator sounds for the same price. The BNSF 4427 CD 3-car hopper set (6-21853) is a nice deal for $90- bought that when another dealer blew them out.

You've got plenty of time to put together a train for your TM- there's plenty of available rolling stock out there. I'd keep checking the mailorder websites for more deals.

Geno