Tires

rockislandmike

Nov 6, 2001
Edmonton AB
dayfornight.qazam.com
Speaking of household items, I was wondering - I've got a tire store I'd like to stock the lot with tires of different sorts. But I don't really want to buy any.

Does anyone have any other good ideas for what I can use for tires that would be quite inexpensive ???

F

Fred_M

I recently made a mold from silicon of scale tires and have been casting them from plaster for use in a junkyard scene. FRED

Attachments

• junk tires.jpg
    junk tires.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 200

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
Originally posted by Bill Pontin
Depending on scale, rubber "O" rings look pretty neat.

I second this one, Price Phister has a 1/4" one that is especially effective. In my line of work, I retire worn out ones from leaky faucets to my junk yard. If you model in N scale, I used the insulation from 10 gauge wire sliced about 1/16" and glued in a pile back when I had eyes for that scale.

Vic

Feb 1, 2002
Columbus GA
Visit site
Also on the subject of tires.....ever notice how you vehicle's just don't seem to sit on the road realistically????

I got this tip from a master of military models......file a flat spot on the bottom of each tire where it will touch your road....it makes the plastic tire look like it has the weight of the vehicle on it.

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
www.2guyzandsumtrains.com
Good tip, Vic, I wonder if heating them a bit and pressing a flat spot would make a more realistic bulge and less of a sunken in look?

A point to ponder: bias plys don't bulge unless they are really underinflated and radials bulge a lot unless overinflated. So vintage may determine the bulg, if you are a, um, rubber tire tit counter. People used to wear the center tread out of radials in the 70' when they became popular, because they tried to air them up until they didn't bulge. "Ya, better put another 75 punds in der, it jest don't look raht."

F

Fred_M

Biggest problem with O rings is cost. They cost about as much at the hardware as a scale tire does from the hobby shop. That and they are pretty smooth and round.

And Vic, I tried that and now my train makes a terrible clicking sound when I run it. FRED:D :D :D

Vic

Feb 1, 2002
Columbus GA
Visit site
Originally posted by dash10

And Vic, I tried that and now my train makes a terrible clicking sound when I run it. FRED:D :D :D

Well look on the bright side:) ....the wheels are only flat on one side:eek: :D :D :D :D

Seems every time I go to the grocery store I always ge the the cart with a flat wheel:eek: :eek: :D :D

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
Dec 28, 2000
Georgetown, Ontario,Canada
I have tried to make tires by slicing through some different sizes of plastic or rubber tubing. The only problem is the edges are square instead of rounded so look more like racing slicks. Not too bad if you don't look too close.

Vic

Feb 1, 2002
Columbus GA
Visit site
Originally posted by jon-monon
Good tip, Vic, I wonder if heating them a bit and pressing a flat spot would make a more realistic bulge and less of a sunken in look?

Good idea Jon, Since all my roads are dirt:eek: I prefer the sunken in look but for paved roads a bluge would be just the thing.

F

Fred_M

Originally posted by jon-monon
This belongs in the use for houshold items thread, ie. another use for the electric frying pan. :D Ever use a frypan to heat up a circuit boards to remove components? FRED