Tires made from "O" rings.

Discussion in 'Tips & Tricks' started by Dave Harris, Oct 18, 2008.

1. Dave Harris

Dave Harris Member

I was asked a while back how I made the tires in my service station from O rings. Perhaps this will help to explain it.
    It is actually simple, first I mount the O ring on a piece of brass tubing, held in a hemostat, then using a cut off disk, I flatten it out a bit. One flattened is shown next to the mounted O ring. Next I heat a piece of screen , I have a few different ones, but these were done on a piece of the Spatter screen I got for a buck at the dollar store. When the screen is red hot press & rotate a section of the "tire on it. It cools very rapidly so you have to do it in sections till you get all the way around. Not every time produces a tire , sometimes you ruin an o ring, of course with a little work these can become "blow outs" for the station scrap pile .
    I use a wire brush in my dremel to clean the burned rubber out of the screen every couple of sections.
    Thats about it , let me know if any of you have any luck with it.

Attached Files:

2. MasonJar

MasonJar It's not rocket surgery

Dave,

Thanks again for another great tip!

Have you found any flat rubber washers that would be suitable? Just thinking that this may eliminate a step. Unfortunately, in practice, the smallest I have seen is for my garden hose... :rolleyes:

Andrew
  3. Ralph

Ralph Remember...it's for fun!

Dave that is fantastic! Great looking effect!
    Ralph
  4. Ralph

Ralph Remember...it's for fun!

Dave that is fantastic! Great looking effect!
    Ralph
  5. Dave Harris

Dave Harris Member

Thanks Charlie -- I'm sure you are hiding your light under a bushel as to your abilities.:goldcup

I have replaced tires on some of the cars in the junkyard-- the few that have any!:twisted:
  6. Dave Harris

Dave Harris Member

Thanks Ralph.
    What I'm really having a problem with for the junkyard is coming up with an easy method of making wheels, both with tires & bare rims. Stock looking rims that is, very few of the 1/64 cars have stock looking wheels & stock are what I need, not mags or spokes like street rods . Frankly , I'm about stumped for an EASY way , I am not wanting to have to produce them on my lathe, I need too many for that. Any ideas anyone?
  7. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Active Member

Can you use on as a master for a mold and resin cast the rest?
  8. Dave Harris

Dave Harris Member

I suppose I could, however I have never done any resin casting . I've read up on it just never invested the moneyfor the supplies.
  9. MasonJar

Dave,

Have you got a picture of what kind of rim(s) you are looking for?

Andrew
  10. Dave Harris

Dave Harris Member

Andrew , I just want to make something that looks like a plain old standard 15 or 16 inch steel rim like all cars have from the factory. Almost all models I have have fancy mag or some other type rim or if std rims they have hubcaps molded in . I want bare rims in some cases ,others with tires --no caps -- stuff like you would see in a junk yard.

I have formualated some what of an Idea today( sure glad the boss doesn't know what goes on in my head while I driving their bus around all day!! :eek:)
    on how I may be able to do some. I'll give it a try & let everybody know how it works unless it doesn't ,then I'll probably not announce my screw up!!:cry::curse:
  11. MasonJar

I remember getting a pair of jeans or some other clothing that had a cardboard label "rivetted" to them. I think I ended up using the rivets for pulleys - maybe suitable for rims? They were "double-sided" i.e. not like pop rivets with the expanded back that is usually hidden inside whatever you just rivetted.

Andrew
  12. Dave Harris

Dave Harris Member

Wheels for O ring tires WIRE no less.

Ok I finally found a way to make decent looking wheels for the junk yard cars. Some easy --some a bit harder --the Wire ones take a bit of time . As the pictures show , the wire wheels are much bigger than the others-- thats because they are for older cars that had 21 to 28 inch tires-- plus they would be a b&*&##H to build small!
    Here are some pics of the raw material & some finished , also the jig I made for the wire wheels. The "Raw" materials are 10/24 thin metal anchor nuts & 10/12 wire terminals, the nuts are perfect when cut to proper width, the terminal has to have the "lip" thinned a bit. Centers are disposable aluminum baking tins cut with a punch made from sharpened piece of brass tube , hubcaps too.
    Look close at one of the tires & you will see how I solved the problem of a realistic looking "flat" tire. Just grinding a flat spot on it won't look right- a real flat has the tire bulged out on the bottom. I found that grinding it flat then glueing on a piece of a rubber band, leaving a bit sticking out & dabbing some black paint on it works well.
    The wire wheels are not perfect , but its a junk yard!!

Attached Files: