Tips using common items

Discussion in 'Tips & Tricks' started by Woodie, Apr 24, 2001.

1. hooknlad

hooknlad Member

More ideas from work...

While daydreaming at work, i discovered many barrels of green sweeping compound.. This stuff is cheap and abundant for many landscaping schemes.. All sweeping compund is, from what i gather is, green colored pine sawdust, used to cut down on the dust while sweeping a floor.. i know,,next question, Michael, When do you find time for work?? lolsign1
  2. TruckLover

TruckLover Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer

1. For pipe loads on flatcars or truck trailers, use straws and paint them what ever color you like and then get some lumber and put them in-between the pipes verticaly and then get some kind of string or thread to tie them off.
    2. For sewer or drain pipes, get some small sprinkler pipes and cut them into short pipes (1" to 1 1/4" or evern 2") and then paint concrete color.
    3. Also go to your local hardware store and just browse throught it to see what could be useful for loads of things around you layout.
  3. TruckLover

Go to your local hardware store and pick up some black sand paper to use for roads and on the tops of your industrial buildings to simulate tar. You can also get other colors to simulate dirt roads or yards. Grey Sand paper would be useful for rock roofs, gravel roads, yards, or get a really fine paper for concrete walls or sidewalks. I think you might have to paint the sand paper a greyish color cause im not sure if they make grey sandpaper.
  4. Relic

Relic Member

I like grapes, alot but I never noticed 'till the other night that after you gobble down all those yummy grapes your left with wait for it.... TREEZ!. Yeah well they need a little detailing but you can see it too....right???
  5. Joepomp

Joepomp Member

HO Scale screen!!!!!!

Talk about super duper detail! I went to get a cup of tea the other day when I looked at the tea bag I noticed the tea bag as made of the finest cloth lace I had ever seen. This stuff is perfect for window screens in HO or even N scale. The tea is from Harney & Sons
    http://www.harney.com/.:thumb:
  6. Tayder

Tayder Member

I make strips of shingles from masking tape (not as nice as Campbells shingles but not bad either!).

Lay out a chunk (I usually work on pieces about 5" long) then start nicking the edge to represent shingles. Currently I'm using a roll of 1/4" green coloured painters masking tape. Lay your shingles on your roof as you would a real one...start at the bottom and work your way up, overlapping apprpriately. Paint or stain to finish.
  7. Pitchwife

Pitchwife Dreamer

When you are doing your track work, ballasting, painting, gluing etc. take some plastic straws and cut a straight slit down one side. Place the straw over the rails, one on each side laid end to end, and do your spraying, dribbling and whatnot. Then when all is dry, simply remove the straws and expose your nice clean rail tops. No more sanding, scraping or polishing
  8. zedob

zedob Member

:thumb: Now that's clever.:thumb:
  9. mr. bubbles

mr. bubbles New Member

these are good ideas
  10. TruckLover

:thumb: Thanks pitchwife for that clever idea.

Track laying can be fun and easyer now that you don't have to clean the rails when your done. :D
  11. Relic

Relic Member

I dunno how "common" this is but....I came accross a winter hatch for an F unit but it was just too ugly to use, really just a square lump of pewter(or whatever) this gets really scary.
    Anyway I'm lookin' at this thing and just then Dee hands me something and says "this any good to ya?" Was some screens off the top of her 'lectric razor.
    Little work with the dremel and file and sizzers "NOT MY GOOD ONES!!!"and I had a much more realistic hatch (that I have yet to install, but it's onle been four months)
  12. slagpot

slagpot Member

This is for you scratch building industral modellers out there. I come across this all the time at work. You see... I work for county goverment in the solid waste division. I come across many things to use for the future layout { stuck to work bench for now }. Being a steel mill modeller, I can't just go out and buy a BOF structure, so I have to scratch build it.

One of the things I run across is big screen TV's. The protective covering that goes over the screen looks like HO scale sheet metal. I take that off of the TV and BAM..... a three foot by four foot piece of HO scale sheet metal siding to work with and cut to any size needed.

You would be surprise at what people throw away, day before yesterday I found a 4X8 N scale layout. Seeing I don't model in N , I gave it to another one of my train buddies. I find all scales of model trains in the trash and I have to say....if I can get to it , I'm taking it home.

So being a trash guy does have its own rewards. Although I don't handle trash { I drive a tire recycle truck } I'm all over the county finding model railroad related treasures !!!!

Oh one last thing... for you wooden scratch builders. I stopped off at a gas station and discovered that the wooden coffee stirrers make great planking for flatcars when you stain them with alochol and indian ink and then cut them down the center. I bought a box of 1000 from the attendent for three bucks....still have a crap load of them ......

Patrick
    Beaufort,SC
    Dragon River Steel Corp {DRSC}
  13. beegor

beegor New Member

What about egg boxes think of the things you could with them
    and cereal boxes
    post some ideas in for these well see what you think off
  14. MasonJar

MasonJar It's not rocket surgery

Beegor,

Welcome to The Gauge!

For cerealboard creations, see Robin at his best. Robin created some incredible buildings using this common material - and in Nscale to boot!

I recently packed my smallest paint jars (1/2 ounce size?) in egg boxes for shipping... You might be able to make the old style coke ovens by turning them upside down.

Looking forward to your contributions!

Andrew
  15. beegor

beegor New Member

o cool thnks i will have a look later today

also as well as using cereal boxes you could use things like the boxes jaffa cakes come, which mean a new addition to your train layout and some tasty snacks mmmmm:) see if we can think of some more little bits n bobs
  16. beegor

beegor New Member

also as well as using cereal boxes you could use things like the boxes jaffa cakes come, which mean a new addition to your train layout and some tasty snacks mmmmm:) see if we can think of some more little bits n bobs
  17. beegor

beegor New Member

18. CNWman

CNWman CNW Fan

I just found this thread and these are GREAT ideas for cheap scenery and tools.

I just found a MR article on that. They are really strong, have a long reach, and are very cheap. They are great for almost anything, but their only problem is that the wooden parts are hard to atach to the spring again. That's their only con, though. I made four for my assembly of my grain elevator!
  19. myltlpny

myltlpny Member

Well, I'm new to the forum, but I've got a few.
    Many people have mentioned clothes pins as clamps. I found some tiny ones used for crafts that are maybe a 1/2 inch long that are great for small items.
    A great flat car load can be had for free from any archery shop that cuts arrows to length. The leftover ends of the arrows can be cut to make a great pipe or tube load.
    I have a ladies makeup applicator, the big poofy kind they use to apply blush and such, and it makes a great duster. It cleans the dust off cars and buildings but is soft enough not to break any of the details off.
  20. Amrap1

Amrap1 Member

Excuse me if I missed this one.......

Kitty Litter for Ballast!

Kmart 20lbs Tidy Cat for $6.99, matches Woodlands coarse grey blends $9.25 for 32oz!

Ed