tips & tricks

nolink5750

Oct 12, 2007
I was reading a thread in the tips and tricks section of this forum. Kinda like a thread that talked about everyday house hold products and things people throw away that can be used on there layout. It seemed to me most of the people responding were in the HO and larger gauges. Has anyone ever seen a simular thread that is just for N. If so, can you point me there. Or would it be OK to just start one here, just for "N" ? Just wondering, cause there were a lot of good ideas there but most would not work for me. Let me know your thoughts please.

eightyeightfan1

Now I'm AMP'd
Jun 18, 2002
Torrington, Ct.
I don't see why most of the tips in that forum can't be used for other scales as well. You just have to think, and build smaller for N, or bigger for the "larger scales". Lots of the tips in that forum are "Scale neutral".
I have used some of the tips, though originally done in HO, worked fine for doing projects in N. In fact some that I posted were originally done in N scale.
If you have some ideas that you have done in N scale, post them there. Maybe someone can use it in the scale that he's working in.

Chaparral

Feb 5, 2007
Calgary Alberta
If you have some ideas that you have done in N scale, post them there. Maybe someone can use it in the scale that he's working in.
I know what nolink5750 is getting at.
Take siding and roofing materials.
A person can come up with some pretty respectable hand scribed clapboard in HO, but in N, well, not so respectable.
A great tip for cutting shingles in HO is not usually acceptable for N.
Then there’s the ubiquitous round toothpick as pylons, power poles, logs, bridge pillars, stumps, tree trunks… etc.

I'd like to see a tick box that would alert members to the immediate relevance of a tip or trick cuz I’ve endured the faux fur grass debacle in N.
It reminded me of the upper forearm on the Bearded Lady.