Tiny Starships - U.S.S. Constitution

bgt01

Exemplary Confidant
Why a man with hands as big and clumsy as mine would want to try and build a tiny starship is a mystery. But, try I did. Yesterday I decided to do a quick build of one of Glenn Jupp's ships. A while ago I repainted these files to add more detail (markings, windows, etc.), a gray base coat and new hull markings for different ships.

So, here is my attempt to wander into @linweseregon territory and "build a wee beastie for m'self.":D

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    357.3 KB · Views: 12

bgt01

Exemplary Confidant
Since this is the first one I've done, it was only right to build the first ship of the line: the U.S.S. Constitution. First up was the saucer. I wanted to add a little detail so I raised the bridge area by gluing it to 67 lb. white card. I glued the bottom of the saucer to 2 pieces of 67 lb. white card to get a proper saucer thickness. I used a pen to add the 3 windows to the front saucer edge. That gave me something to line up the front marker light (which really shouldn't be there) with so the top would go on straight. The top and bottom saucer parts were curled with a toothpick and glued. Both parts were then edge glued to the saucer bottom.

I glued the neck to 67 lb. card, cut them apart (with the tabs off) then glued both parts together. That gave me a study neck. I used gel Super Glue to attach the neck to the saucer.

Attachments

• 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    207.6 KB · Views: 18
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    276.5 KB · Views: 13
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    298.6 KB · Views: 17
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    417.5 KB · Views: 18
  • 6.JPG
    6.JPG
    314.6 KB · Views: 16
  • 7.JPG
    7.JPG
    356.6 KB · Views: 20

bgt01

Exemplary Confidant
Since this thing is so small, I made "sturdy" the goal. I glued the pylons to 67 lb. white card and then glued the fronts and backs together (without tabs).

I rolled the engines up and glued them together. The thinner card stock I get from Hobby Lobby made these pretty easy. I glued a piece of toothpick into the forward ends for the sturdy factor and to make a flat end for gluing. I used 12mm Light Siam Glamour Glitz crystals for the bussard collectors. They were the perfect size. I glued them on with gel Super Glue. I ran a black felt tip marker inside the rear of the engines to take away the hollow tube look. I should have done that before gluing for a better result. Unfortunately, I didn't get the spacing right on the engine details so the inside details wound up almost on the top of the engine.

Attachments

• 8.JPG
    8.JPG
    369.4 KB · Views: 18
  • 9.JPG
    9.JPG
    303 KB · Views: 14
  • 10.JPG
    10.JPG
    335.9 KB · Views: 15
  • 11.JPG
    11.JPG
    328.8 KB · Views: 17
  • 9.JPG
    9.JPG
    303 KB · Views: 15

bgt01

Exemplary Confidant
I rolled up the secondary hull and glued it together. I cut a small piece of card to cover up the open shuttlebay. I made a small piece to cover the open area under the fantail that includes the red square. I glued the forward deflector part to 67 lb. white card before attaching the whole front section to the hull. The pylons were glued on with gel Super Glue, along with the engines and the saucer.

Attachments

• 12.JPG
    12.JPG
    294.6 KB · Views: 14
  • 13.JPG
    13.JPG
    363.4 KB · Views: 10
  • 14.JPG
    14.JPG
    346.2 KB · Views: 15

bgt01

Exemplary Confidant
And done. Finally, a build done in minutes instead of days! It was a fun little experiment and I can see how these would make great pieces for starship games. I've already made files to build all the other Constitution class ships (I know! Crazy right!) and have some other classes to play with so you might see some more of these in the future.

Attachments

• 15.JPG
    15.JPG
    343.2 KB · Views: 23
  • 16.JPG
    16.JPG
    270.8 KB · Views: 22
  • 16.JPG
    16.JPG
    270.8 KB · Views: 24
  • 17.JPG
    17.JPG
    368.9 KB · Views: 24
  • 18.JPG
    18.JPG
    370.2 KB · Views: 23
  • 19.JPG
    19.JPG
    311.1 KB · Views: 20
  • 20.JPG
    20.JPG
    398.4 KB · Views: 22
  • 21.JPG
    21.JPG
    401.4 KB · Views: 26

Rhaven Blaack

!!!THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
Staff member
Administrator
This little guy is REALLY COOL!!!
You did a GREAT job on it!!!
I am looking forward to seeing the rest of the fleet!
As for having BIG HANDS and making tiny models. I know the feeling all too well.
I (myself) have HUGE (BEAR PAW like) HANDS. I still work on tiny greebles for most of my models.

KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK!!!

spaceagent-9

Right Hand Man and Confidant
had to comment because of the big hands thing lol, i think we do it because of what jack kennedy said,]
not because paper models are easy, but because they are hard!
when i ended a long standing job back in 2008, i went looking for something to do to pass the time that winter.
one was learn to play the piano. which i dropped after realizing i hated it and loved the guitar, and, paper models.
the first one i saw was the grissom and marvelled at how much it looked like a plastic model, then i searched pictures and found the over 6 foot titanic pm, again, astonished.
so i joined.
it was harder back then to find things, i started in a yahoo chat forum.
i was chewed out for being a newbie so i re-started my ambitions with cereal boxes and cut up my romulan bird of prey i drew in pencil and poked holes in it with the pencil, used a christmas light led and testors silver paint. glue for the nacelle globes. it was pretty darn good!
at least for me.
and i was hooked.
i am 6ft and a bear of a man, surfed, lifted weights, martial arts, but i have little japanese lady hands and feet. LOL! its always been hard for me to do basketball or play lead guitar or keyboard, get any torque with tools and balance was learned the hard way.

i respect you ham hands and the great work you do. dont feel awkard about it, you guys are the first men on the moon to me!
keep up the great work!

linweseregon

Great work! It's a helluva lot better than my first attempt at one of Glen's; mine ended up with grey nacelles from adding too much PVA and having cheap ink dissolving in it ;).