Tin Shed From Computer Ribbon Cable

Discussion in 'The Academy' started by Fred_M, Dec 5, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fred_M

Fred_M Guest

I want a small (HO) 12’ X 28’ tin shed to fit a rock foundation I made a while back. In the past I have embossed aluminum foil on to computer ribbon cable and glued it to cardstock. I decided why not skip some steps and use the ribbon cable itself? So I cut 6 sections out of ATA 100 cable which has 80 conductors and is finer than the older style cables. I also picked out four leftover windows that looked appropriate. -x

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      14.1 KB
      Views:
  2. Fred_M

Fred_M Guest

Step2

Next I glued 2 of the pieces together with CA gel to form the long walls. After it dried, I mean cured, I cut the walls with scissors and a knife to 28 feet long by 10 foot high on the sides. The ends are 12 feet wide and the peak is 12 feet high. The window openings were cut to size along with the door which is 10’ by 10’. I then painted it with Metallic Aluminum paint. It took three coats to cover the red stripe and printing.-x

Attached Files:

3. Fred_M

Fred_M Guest

Step3

Next I glued in the windows and glued acetate to the backs for glass.

Attached Files:

• win3.jpg
      win3.jpg
      File size:
      12.9 KB
      Views:
  4. Fred_M

Fred_M Guest

STEP4

Next I glued in a basic frame from 1/16 X 1/16 basswood to hold it rigid with CA gel. Notice how I left a gap at the bottom in the framing so the building will slide down onto the foundation.

Attached Files:

5. Fred_M

Fred_M Guest

STEP5

I then assembled the pieces with CA gel in the corners and then installed cross beams. I then reinforced all the wood/wood joints with Elmer’s Glue All, the glue of the gods. I then had to stop. I’m going to install this with the doors open so next I’ll need to do some basic interior detailing and I need the glue to set so the shed doesn’t fall apart. I’m a klutz at times so it needs to be strong. -x

Attached Files:

6. Fred_M

Fred_M Guest

I work on computers for a living and I'm out to prove they are good for something. So far I have made an overpass from a piece of a case, guard rails from ribbon cable, case fans to dry my layout, old CDreaders for weights, LEDs for lights, power supplies for power, and old towers were used for temperary legs. Now I'm building a shed out of cable. I'm also in the "thinking about it" stage for using stepper motors for animation, and a ribbon cable for an animated garage door scene. I can't seem to find a SIMPLE and CHEAP circuit to run a stepper motor at a constant slow speed. Any help would be rewarded with an attaboy. -x AND if notebooks with DVDs ever get cheap enough I'm doing a drive-in with one.
  7. Fred_M

Fred_M Guest

STEP6

I'll try anything if it's free:D TGIF (thank god it fit). The building went right on the foundation nice and snug. I added some crude interior details made from toothpicks, wire, balsa, paper and paint. I guess I'll put on the roof next, before it rains. x-2x

Attached Files:

8. Fred_M

Fred_M Guest

STEP7

Roof and doors went on along with a stove pipe. -x

Attached Files:

9. Fred_M

Fred_M Guest

:thumb:
    ATTABOY as promised. I'll give it a try. All the circuits I have found so far use odd components that I have trouble finding locally, such as 1.8 mfd 200v caps or 5K 5 watt resistors, or an obsolete IC chip. Sure I can order them off the net, but shipping kills the cheap part.:) -x
  10. Fred_M

Fred_M Guest

I know this sites suppose to be commercial free, so I'll make this short. If you have a model Crosley I now have an authorized one bay service shop to fix the best motor car ever built by man. Whether it be a leaking cylinder braze or a broken shifter fork we can fix ‘er right up. That’s Dash’s Authorized Crosley Service, RFD 1, Pleasant Ridge, Missouri. We ain’t got no phones down ‘ere yet so yall just hitch up your horses and pull ‘er on down. Weall get right on it. DASH

Attached Files:

11. Fred_M

Fred_M Guest

It goes in the side of a hill, the door will be at grade, the back fully exposed. Down here in the Ozarks the only flat areas are on plywood layouts and the tops of marine's heads...:) DASH
  12. Fred_M

Fred_M Guest

Something like this. The grass is still wet and it needs some more brush, but it's the general idea. DASH

Attached Files:

13. Fred_M

Fred_M Guest

Made a crude floor jack out of basswood and toothpicks to hold up my Mopar so I can put in a new driveshaft. Dang Chargers make to much power. Need to get it fixed so i can drive in to Robin's AW this weekend and blow everbody's doors off. DASH

Attached Files:

14. philip

philip Guest

Explain where this saw (laying on the floor) was hijacked from.

A computer part from where?

Show us...this needs to be in the woods!

Attached Files:

15. Fred_M

Fred_M Guest

Ok Philip, it's contained in the end of the 80 conductor Ide cable plug. These may also be called ATA100 or 133 IDE cable, and were what the shed was made of. You open the top on the plug and remove it from the cable. The center metal is the "saw blade". Then split tooth picks were CAed to the ends. Fred

Attached Files:

• saw.jpg
      saw.jpg
      File size:
      63.5 KB
      Views:
  16. Fred_M

Fred_M Guest

Thanks Philip, but it's not all that great :oops: . Just a way to use for some junk rather than buying some real supplies. :D You are right, I sawed it into the log where it was displayed with about three strokes. Sorry about the quality, but I had to crop an existing picture. Fred

Attached Files:

• saw2.jpg
      saw2.jpg
      File size:
      53.7 KB
      Views:
  17. Fred_M

Fred_M Guest

I think that's 40 conductor IDE cable Philip, it doesn't have that piece in them. Only the 80 conductor IDE cables have them. Email me some prices on the biggest stumps when you decide. Fred
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.