Time line of the Layout

chessie4155

Thought we would have some fun with the layout. Here's a time line of our layout from the 1940s to the 1980s..

Attachments

• 1940s.JPG
    1940s.JPG
    37.9 KB · Views: 163
  • 1950s.JPG
    1950s.JPG
    50.1 KB · Views: 160
  • 1960s.JPG
    1960s.JPG
    50 KB · Views: 162
  • 1970s.JPG
    1970s.JPG
    54.1 KB · Views: 165
  • 1980s.JPG
    1980s.JPG
    42.1 KB · Views: 165

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
That's a clever series! I like the way you thought to change the eras of the automobiles in the photos too. Suddenly I'm wanting to do something similar and add things like a small tree that gets bigger over time, business signs or billboards that change with the times, a railway station that eventually is abandoned and boarded up...what else?

Ralph

Gary Pfeil

It is a great idea. How many here remeber the series in Model Railroading (back in the 70's, under a different publisher) called the Time Machine? The idea was to build structures on a base that could be lifted right off the layout, and replaced with another. One had a water tank that could be replaced with a scene with the footings, some debris and weeds. Another was a station modeled with various changes over a period of time. A great idea for someone who actually has time to finish even one time period!

Russ Bellinis

Ralph said:
That's a clever series! I like the way you thought to change the eras of the automobiles in the photos too. Suddenly I'm wanting to do something similar and add things like a small tree that gets bigger over time, business signs or billboards that change with the times, a railway station that eventually is abandoned and boarded up...what else?

Ralph

Some of the business buildings would be demolished and replaced with more modern buildings. Another common thing done out here on Cali is to take historic old buildings and restore them, but break up large wharehouse type buildings into a bunch of small boutiques or antique shops with some cutsey name like "Ye Olde Antick Mall."

UP SD40-2

i liked it Mark!!:thumb: :D i think it was a GREAT IDEA!:thumb: i have been through small towns that looked like nothing has changed for YEARS, except for the cars(and some of them hadn't changed:rolleyes: ) and trains;). NICE touch:thumb: THANKS!:D -Deano

doctorwayne

Neat idea, Chessie 4155. At one time, I had hoped to do something similar on my entire layout: '30s, '50s, and '70s, changed maybe every year or so, but it's difficult enough trying to get the 1930's part done.:rolleyes: I eventually sold off a lot of locomotives and rolling stock for the '70s, but still have a fair amount of '50s stuff left. Who makes those automobiles in your first photo?

Wayne

spitfire

Great idea Chessie and a neat series of photo's. It would be fun to do a diorama challenge along these lines... expensive though - oh well, just thinking aloud here. Thanks for the cool idea though! :thumb:

Val

chessie4155

Sorry I haven't replied till now, I've been out of town. Thanks Guys:)
DoctorWayane, The only name I could find on one of the cars is Wiking, the others look to be resin with no markings. These were given to me and if you give me a couple two or three days I'll see If I can get an anwser on the other cars.

doctorwayne

My guess is that the one on the right is the Wiking: an older Walthers catalogue shows a Horscht that looks quite similar. If the other one is a solid resin casting, it may be from Greg's Garage. Thanks.

Wayne

chessie4155

An update on the vehicles.
DoctorWayne, you are correct about them being from Gregs Garage. I'm modeling the 70s early 80s and it's really hard to find vehicles for the 60s/70s/80s.
I've found some here and there but they are far and few between. Not much of a choice either.:curse: Oh well life goes on.:thumb:

chessie4155

Good evening Mr. and Mrs. America and all the ships at sea. This just in ;;;,
Some of those resin vehicles were made by Jordan.
Thank you and good night..