Tightest radius for HO

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
What is the tightest radius for HO Atlas Code 100 flex? I am hoping to make a little diorama, but would still like the trains to run contiuously. I have a little HO docksider (0-4-0) that I presume can take a pretty tight corner.

How far can I bend the flex track? I was hoping to keep the diorama no more than 18x18.

I was inspired by Micro Layouts for Model Railroads. Lots of neat little (literally) stuff there.

Andrew

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
www.2guyzandsumtrains.com
I think you could bend it further than that even, eventually, I guess the rails will pop out of the ties. I don't think they will break, and I don't think there will be a problem until it's bent to the extreme. If it's the type where the rail slides in the ties at only one side, it would be best to have that side on the outside of the curve.

You might get out of gauge before you get to the point of breaking anything too. 0-4-0's like to pop wheelies, and I guess would get sensitive to derailment when accelerating on a very tight curve, or any curve for that matter. I have several, differing brands and they all behave this way. Front wheels jump track easy. ADHD kids of model rail.

I would get one, try it, and consider it a sacrificial lamb.

interurban

Aug 21, 2002
Pickering. Ontario. Canada.
Visit site
Andrew,, I have used curved set track 18'' radius.
then cut out alternate plastic spacers underneath the rail, and curved it right tight then cut the excess track off the ends.
SW 15 will go round it and frieght if you do some fixing:D
My traction loop is 20'' wide

How tight do you want it:eek: :confused: :D

Atlas still makes 15 inch radius track. I really wouldn't want to take flex tighter than that because the ties will start to skew and you'll lose gauge.

Now, that said, you can always hand lay just about any radius you want if you use a 3 point track gauge in construction.

brakie

Nov 8, 2001
Bucyrus,Ohio
Visit site
I would not use anything less then 15" curve if you are using 40' cars.The shorter 36' cars should be ok down to 14" curve.However I would not go less then 14" on my curves.

Pete

Jun 2, 2001
New Brunswick, Canada
www.hioutput.com
That's going to be a really tight circle in HO, having a radius of slightly less than 9". Remember, R=½D with D being the width of the platform (18"). You'd be looking at using just over 1&frac12 3-foot sections of flextrack.
I'd tack up a 'test track' and try that first before committing to the 18" square.

Pete

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
My Christmas layout uses C100 Atlas flex track turned to 12 and 3/4" radius. It has been this way for 7 years now and shows no sign of fatigue. I run an Athearn GP35 on it as well as a Rivarossi 4-4-0 Genoa, a Spectrum 44 ton switcher and a AHM 0-4-0 Docksider. All regular length cars I own run on it with no problem.

Lighthorseman

Jul 24, 2002
Out in the sticks
Visit site
From My Planet...

While I was asking about On30, (that is still HO gauge) a fellow named Jim Favre, a guru from the On30 Conspiracy, wrote back to me about how he makes super, super sharp radii in HO gauge track.

He handlays...and starts with a basic template of the curve he wants. He then puts on a pair of work gloves, and bends the rail to a close match by running the rail many times through the gloves he's wearing. This puts a gentle, even curve in the track without big bent kinks. He stressed that it must be done gradually. He used HO scale Atlas code 100 to create a Gn15 loop around a tree. The radius? TWO INCHES. :eek: A modified Bachmann On30 Porter makes the rounds.

Is this REALLY any help to you? Somehow, I doubt it.:D

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Thanks for all the tips and suggestions!

I think I will try to tack the flex track down to foam or something first, and see how tight I can make it go...

Stay tuned!

Andrew

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Andrew:
back when Peco streamline was new (1960 ish) they had pictures of it tied in knots, twisted lengthwise and otherwise tortured. I had a traction layout on a small piece of plywood that had curves muchless than 12" radius -- using streetcars, small locos and Roundhouse old-timer cars.

marc gast

Nov 16, 2003
Grand Rapids, MI
hometown.aol.com
Radius

I have 15 and 16.5 inch radius on my logging module. MDC shays and also the Mantua 2-6-6-2 logger will negociate these curves, also the new Bachmann 3 truck shay. My module is 36 inches wide and has a continous loop.
I wouldn't suggest going any sharper than 15 inch on the radius.
A 9 inch radius is out of the question.
An 18 x 18 would work in "N", however, a pipe dream in HO unless it was a small point to point.
Hope this helps out.
Marc