Thursday 10-26; How Did You Get Here?

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
Oct 15, 2002
Drexel Hill, PA
www.trainweb.org
Good morning folks

I was still moving stuff out of the way of the new dryer which I am sitting here waiting to be delivered as I type. I did glue some more pink foam in the gaps. I also played around with the track layout again. I started figuring out the Power Plant Spur. Also I think I finally figured out how to add an off layout interchange track. It will require removing and replacing some of the foam however to extend the useable area of the layout. The mountain may not be as large as originally planned as I may have also figured out a place for the cannery.

How did you find out about the Gauge? I belonged to another forum that was shut down due to a rather nasty flame war. AT that time I only belonged to that forum and Atlas. Several members of the closed forum posted on Atlas that they were going to the Gauge. I followed and have been here ever since.

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
Chris (Interurban) or Robin (Matthyro) are to blame, I can't remember who first invited me and who first greeted me. I was sent an email asking if I would come take a looksee from a chat board or forum I had stumbled upon.

Ray Marinaccio

Aug 4, 2003
Dewey Az.
Visit site
After finding the forums hosted by manufacturers and Magazines and got the impression that this hobby had become nothing more than a bunch of whiners complaining about not getting what they want and flaming each other. I did a google search to see if there might be any real modelers left that actually enjoy the hobby and also do kit-bashing or scratch-building.
I came across a thread of a guy building an HOn30 Climax from an N scale RSD12.
I was so happy to find someone else doing the kind of modeling I liked to do that I spent the rest of that night and half the next morning reading every post on The Gauge and then joined. (this was the first forum I felt was worth joining).
So blame Shaygetz.

kitsune

Sep 10, 2006
I've been a member of pretty much every forum for modelling except Atlas and TO. None of them felt very comfortable.

The people here aren't jerks or morons, and the quality level of what gets posted is generally good. If I post a question I'll probably get a few responses that are worth reading. So by default this is the only model forum I still post at, except for one that is hosted by a particular modeller that is centered around his layout.

N Gauger

1:20.3 Train Addict
Dec 20, 2000
South Eastern, PA
mywebpages.comcast.net
I'll have to "ditto" shaygetz on this one, although I've been here a tad longer :) :)

Catt & I have been here from the beginning :D :D :D And I have joined other forums, I've modded on other forums... but I still think this is the best....

'course, I might be a bit biased goldtoth1 :eek: goldtoth1 :eek: goldtoth1

TerrapinStation

Oct 18, 2006
Portland, OR
I did a search too, on google to find how to get started with an old track. I think I found an expensive hobby with my son, now I need to go look at some of those how to get new purchases past the better half posts!

TrainNut

Ditat Deus
Sep 15, 2004
AZ
New category idea...

You know, I'm sitting here reading all the fine comments in this thread and it got me to thinking.... Just how did I discover The Gauge? I don't exactly remember the specifics... I typed in something in the search engine and this site popped up as one of the choices. My first post was something about trying to sell a wrought iron n scale train table, so maybe I typed in "trains for sale." Who knows... ANYWAYS, I digress.... One of the things I was looking for at that time and still like looking at are pictures of "finished" layouts. So, the thought occured to me - or rather re-occured to me, would it be possible to add a new category to the forum where you could go to see examples of finished work. Maybe it could be an academy so to speak of the layouts that have progressed far enough to be classified under that so called "finished" category. I know that you can navigate to all sorts of different places on this site to find pictures of finished scenes/layouts but it's not spelled out anywhere and if you happen to come across them, lucky you. Possibly, "The Gauge member layouts" could be the main title and then under that we could have two subtitles, "finished photos" and "Start to finish" as I'm sure we all like to see just how a layout came to be.
What'cha think? Anybody care to elaborate or further this thought?

N Gauger

1:20.3 Train Addict
Dec 20, 2000
South Eastern, PA
mywebpages.comcast.net
TrainNut said:
So, the thought occured to me - or rather re-occured to me, would it be possible to add a new category to the forum where you could go to see examples of finished work. Maybe it could be an academy so to speak of the layouts that have progressed far enough to be classified under that so called "finished" category. I know that you can navigate to all sorts of different places on this site to find pictures of finished scenes/layouts but it's not spelled out anywhere and if you happen to come across them, lucky you. Possibly, "The Gauge member layouts" could be the main title and then under that we could have two subtitles, "finished photos" and "Start to finish" as I'm sure we all like to see just how a layout came to be.
What'cha think? Anybody care to elaborate or further this thought?
Well, The gallery is the place to post pics... I wonder if we could add 2 more forums there :) It does sound good :)

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
Ray Marinaccio said:
I came across a thread of a guy building an HOn30 Climax from an N scale RSD12.
I was so happy to find someone else doing the kind of modeling I liked to do that I spent the rest of that night and half the next morning reading every post on The Gauge and then joined. (this was the first forum I felt was worth joining).
So blame Shaygetz.

Yikes...:D Scary feelin' when you're three of the first five listings on a Google and Yahoo search:wave: