Three new heavyweight flatcars ready for the paint shop

tomd81

I have just about completed three new flat cars. The first two started out as Athearn Heavy Weight Flat cars. They need a little filler and brake stands (on order) before heading to the paint shop.

The first one is an 40 foot, 8 alxe heavy weight flat, the second is a 8 axle, 20 foot well hole flat. They will be painted for one of my shippers on my future flat. Still trying to decide which color scheme to use: TTX yellow, or LNAL red. I need to get going on the decals too.

The third is a 12 axle Easter Car Work F-38 flat, straight out of the box. This may be the WORST kits that I have built. It will be painted and lettered for the PRR. I have a second one of these kits, which will be done with the short deck and painted and lettered for the Southern. It will be a while before I tackle it.

flat.jpg

Many more flats to come!

Still putting the finishing touches on my Concept Models schnabel car.
Today, I ordered a second schnabel kit. Now I will be able to ship all of the components (transformers, generators, reactors, and steam generators) to the new nuclear power plant.

Now, I need to learn how to use my air brush!

Guess that I need to start working on some loads too!

Tom

Visit my schnabel and large flat car web site!

shaygetz

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: especially the well car. Articulated flats are the bomb, I'm about to start scatchbuilding a 20 axle Schnabel car using 4 of the Athearn flats as a starting point. I noticed you're using the roller bearing trucks, what era are you modeling? Keep it up.... :wave:

tomd81

I am modeling the 70's when there was a boom in construction of both coal and nuclear power plants. I am building a huge fleet to support this effort. I enjoy these large flat cars, see my web site for a couple thousand photos!

I really making both the well and the 8 axle flat from the Athearn cars. I think that I have a couple more of the Athearn kits around, and will do a couple more. I will probably buy a couple more, because the blue boxes are getting hard to come by. My LHS inventory is starting to get low.

I still need to come up with a large load for the well car, any suggestions?

Schnabels
WECX 101 - Concept Models (generators)
WECX 200 - scratch built, trusses completed working on the bases (transformers)
WECX 202 - Overland (transformers)
WECX 203 - Overland (transformers)
WECX 301 - Concept Models (reactors)

CEBX 100 - scratch built - not started yet (boilers)
CEBX 800 - scratch built - now working on plans (steam generators)

GE 40017 E & P Models

Large Flat
PRR 400275 - Railworks

Numerious other flat cars (QTTX, KRL and private owners)

I am hoping that Concept Models build the GEX 40010 schnabel and 80003 flat car. I will then add these to the fleet. I am also planning to build a CAPX 1001 - 18 axle flat. This should be easy, no curved section just angles.

I am also starting to work on the associated cabooses that accompany these loads.

My layout will be based in South Carolina - from the port in Chaleston to Aiken. The Southern moved a lot of high wides out of Charleston on this line.

Russ Bellinis

tomd81 said:
I am hoping that Concept Models build the GEX 40010 schnabel and 80003 flat car. I will then add these to the fleet. I am also planning to build a CAPX 1001 - 18 axle flat. This should be easy, no curved section just angles.

Concept Models is a one man operation. The owner used to be a member of the modular club I belong to before he moved from So Cal to the Reno/Carson City area. If you want a particular model, contact him with a request. If you have some pictures, send them to him as well. There is no guarrantee he will be able to make what you want, but he is probably more responsive than a large company run by committee. His models are resin castings because he can make a mold from anything he can kit bash or scratch build. He doesn't have the high overhead of expensive tooling like the plastic model companies.