Thompson Machine Gun

Discussion in 'Dream Kits & Wish Lists' started by Ziga, Apr 15, 2007.

1. atamjeet

atamjeet Member

has anyone tried M41-a pulse rifel? i have made it using ivory card... and its 1:1 model. downloaded it free from aliens web page...
  2. Clashster

Clashster Member

Atamjeet, very cool build! Of course, you don't look as menacing with the fuzzy chick in the background!

Chris
  3. sprintx

sprintx Member

That model... i know it is from aliens.humlak.cz hehe
  4. MOS95B

MOS95B Member

I downloaded that once, looked at it, freaked out, and moved on. One of these days though.... :twisted:
  5. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

The sad fact is the M41A was a Thompson sheathed in fibreglass. =(

Why do sci-fi movies have a thing for taking WW2 rare firearms and cutting them up/modify them for props???

ps. I tried a hand at papering the thompson in my above pic. It's half done but can be at best a static prop. No working charge handle (not even a handler per-se) and the ammo clip is fixed. The barrel is misshapen and since it's a game model the texture is somewhat ... less than satisfactory.
  6. Ziga

Ziga Member

Stev0, I don't see the picture :(
  7. paperbeam

paperbeam Member

Try Clicking On The Webdude's Site

Worked for me.:twisted:

Terry
  8. goney3

goney3 Member

Oooh can I please get one? ... I need a prop to finish up my halloween costume in 2 weeks :mrgreen: I don't mind finishing up the model, looks like fun!
  9. goney3

goney3 Member

10. goney3

goney3 Member

ok, I spent 30 minutes working on it last night and got it down to a low-polycount model (just for a prop). I ran it through Pepakura and it unfolded okay. But i forget how to make something to scale...

I'm at work right now, otherwise I would post a screen shot and the kmz/pdo file.

Cheers!
  11. goney3

goney3 Member

12. rowiac

rowiac Member

Nice job so far. What app did you use to reduce the polygons?

If I get some time I might give Pepakura a go with it. If we can get it to unfold properly, the model could use some retexturing too.

Roger
  13. goney3

goney3 Member

Hi Roger,
    I used SketchUp and pretty much reduced the model manually. The original file was a good template, the rest was just simplifying it as must as I could.

Today it looks like my uncles hosting server went down, but the file should be up again soon. :thumb:
  14. goney3

goney3 Member

So I am almost finished with the build... just two more parts to glue on tonight and its all done :D

For unfolding I used the sketchup unfolding rb script (works really well when you figure out how). I then moved the parts around in Pepakura, and added tabs by hand on the printouts.

Sadly I can't post the files/images yet ... my uncles server lost a fan last Thursdays and kinda died. And I don't really feel like signing up for hosting sites, I'll just wait till its fixed ;)

Its not to scale at 6 pages ... but its large enough to make a good prop if anyone needs a copy for Halloween next week. :)

So far I only made one painfully obvious mistake (missed a small area in front of the trigger, must have botched it when unfolding) but as a prop no one should notice.

:needpics:
  15. dansls1

dansls1 Member

If you attach the files directly to a post, they'll host here...
  16. goney3

goney3 Member

Hmm... let me try that.. :)

Ok, so attached is the one I am currently building... please note the trigger part is sorta messed up (as the front end doesn't mate correctly with the receiver -this picture is from Tuesday and doesn't show it).
    Their are no tabs in this version... I hope to get the pdo and skp files posted at some point so others can play with it, but I'm still stuck at work ;)

I am really rushing this build because I am leaving for Vegas tomorrow night for the Halloween party. (yes im driving and don't plan on taking this anywhere near people I don't know) :twisted:

Attached Files:

17. goney3

goney3 Member

All finished and ready to go :mrgreen:

You can see where the trigger has a small gap... but as a prop for a costume party I think it'll be fine.

Anywho, hopefully soon I can fix the gap and have a "proper model" with tabs posted later on (as well as the pdo and skp files). But I'll be out of town for a few days. Cheers!

Attached Files:

18. sr5nm

sr5nm Member

Very cool. Can't wait to see it available.
  19. Ziga

Ziga Member

It looks good. I am waiting for the final release ;)
  20. JackFrost

JackFrost Member

MMM, very nice, aways was a sucker for a Chicago typewriter .Cant wait for it to be done .