Thomas the tank engine...

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
Anyone out there installed a decoder in Bachmann's Thomas? The kiddies loved his debut at our club open house today but he has an especially energetic "Double Ott Dance" that can only be tamed with a decoder.

Howdy! :wave:

I put a DH121 in a Bachmann Thomas and it works fine as long as the wheels and wipers are clean. The little guy has quite a bit of gear noise but kids don't mind.

The decoder fit (barely) in the cab. I popped the top off and connected the decoder to the little PC board (cut the other components off the board or just ditch the board.)

One of the new DZ123s would fit much better and make an easier installation I think.

Oh! You can seen Thomas in my avitar on this post.

Have fun!

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
jwmurrayjr said:
I popped the top off and connected the decoder to the little PC board (cut the other components off the board or just ditch the board.)

Oh! You can seen Thomas in my avitar on this post.

Have fun!

I saw that board and wanted to make sure I could just ditch it. I couldn't imagine what I'd lose with no lights or anything else inside. He's about as basic a lokey as they come. I suspect ol' Thomas will be making an appearance from time to time in my work as well---he looks decent and runs well, a really useful engine ;) :p