Thomas the Tank Engine: Yes or No?

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by CNWman, Jan 30, 2007.

?

Thomas the Tank Engine: Yes or No to normal running?

1. No, Thomas is a kid's toy, not real modeling

3 vote(s)
    4.5%
  2. I like Thomas, but wouldn't run him on my layout

13 vote(s)
    19.4%
  3. Yes, I have no problem with Thomas at all on my layout

50 vote(s)
    74.6%
  4. Who's Thomas the Tank Engine?

1 vote(s)
    1.5%
  1. AndyWS

AndyWS Member

There was an N-scale layout at the Mad City Model Railroad Show & Sale that had Thomas and James...they liked to doublehead Thomas with a Genesis locomotive on the point of a long Amtrack train...with Annie and Clarabel bringing up the rear. Always got a kick out of that. :)
  2. CNWman

CNWman CNW Fan

Hey, is it possible to put normal knuckle couplers on TTTE trains? HO scale, of course:D
  3. nkp174

nkp174 Active Member

I intend to get some Thomas for my nephew for use on "grandpa's" train layout. I also intend to get Thomas stuff for any kids I have. If my only layout is On3, I'll convert Thomas to running on On3 track...which is actually a much closer track gauge for OO than HO track that is currently used (On3 is 0.75" gauge...which is 57" gauge in OO).
  4. Cannonball

Cannonball More Trains Than Brains

I wouldn't know why not.... Might take a little modifying, but I'll bet it could be done with the right tools.
  5. CNWman

CNWman CNW Fan

I want to do that mainly because I only want Mavis of Bachman's line so her big couplers won't work on my layout and She's going to pul some of my trains alone/with my F3 in a consist so I want her to work with my American trains (She's based off of a BR 04 desiel shunter (British for switcher) which oly operated in GB.)
  6. nkp174

nkp174 Active Member

I'm sure there's a simple way. I'd recommend emailing Kadee...they helped me with coupler conversions early on in my kadeeing days. Now I'm probably going to go the other way with sergenting. ;-)

Another alternative would be to use an idler car. My Bachmann Liliput (Bachmann's continental HO line) would require an undershank coupler...just removing the existing coupler, gluing a kadee #5 box, and installing a coupler in the box.
  7. 60103

60103 Pooh Bah

CNW: there's a good chance that the Bachman Thomas stock will have NEM coupler pockets. However, they have not been consistent in their application and some of the pocckets are too high. Kadee makes NEM-shank couplers that just snap in, unless you have to drop the pocket a fraction.
  8. D&Hp-burgh

D&Hp-burgh New Member

I love watching the Thomas series with my 6 year old. There's a lot of scenery and buildings on them that inspire us on our layout. As for running on layouts - I think a side spur station decorated like the "Day Out with Thomas" would be a hit on any clubs layout (Well maybe not any he would look a little out of place on a logging line from 1800's) But hopefully you get my meaning. Toot Toot

Gordon ROCKS!!!
  9. CNWman

CNWman CNW Fan

Or just get my LHS to do it for me, if I'm to lazysign1

60103: what's NEM? (remember I'm still a noob at this stuff:D )

D&Hp-burgh: Welcome to The-Gauge!
  10. 60103

60103 Pooh Bah

NEM is the European modelling standards association (like NMRA). I think they've defined things like wheels standards and the coupler pocket. Most new European stock has the NEM pocket so that you can pop the coupling out and pop your preferred coupling in.
    There has been some pressure building for the pocket to be applied to British stock. Hornby and Bachman are doing it, but Bachy has decided they don't always have to mount it at the standard height; they developed a coupling with a step in the shank to compensate. I think this just applies to freight cars and the locos and coaches are OK.
  11. CNWman

CNWman CNW Fan

Ah thank you 60103. On a different note, why don't most of Bachy's engines have frontal couplers? I know at least Spencer does (even though he technicaly SHOULDN'T because he's a private passinger train).
  12. hiscopilot

hiscopilot Member

It looks on our stuff it would be easy to convert the couplers. I plan on doing it on all of them... one day when I can afford enough couplers! LOL

Brighter note, our neighbor found a troublesome truck from his trains when he was younger and gave it to us. Now we have 4! WOO HOO! Can NEVER have enough troublesome trucks.
  13. CNWman

CNWman CNW Fan

Hey hisco, Looks like you'll need to add Ffarqhuar when Mavis comes around! On the couplers subject, you curently don't have to worry about it because most of your Thomas stock has all the same couplers. I, on the other hand, have normal knuckle P2K couplers and last I checked, the p2K's don't work with the Bachman Thomas stuff. When I got my F3, it was around their transistion time between 1K/2K so my ONLY P1k had P2k couplers. My 4 boxcars (also P1K) have P2K couplers. Why does it say they're magnetic? I never saw any adds for THAT feature....
  14. Cannonball

Cannonball More Trains Than Brains

I wonder why he felt the need to spell Ffarqhuar with two F's?
  15. hiscopilot

hiscopilot Member

I am not going to add anything after I lay the track. I will have some items in there that will accommodate her I think. I am going to try to make Salty and 'Arry and Bert as well someday.

I need to reload my updated trackplan. I have changed so much and its still a guideline as I know it will take a lot of finagling when the time comes.

As for the couplers, we want to be able to use the other cars we have. I have some other stock and he wants thomas and friends to pull it... and some of the second hand items we got are missing couplers, so I figure Iwill just convert everything to one in our inventory! :)
  16. 60103

60103 Pooh Bah

about ffahrquar: ff is an olde waye of writeing a capital F. You'll also find it in ffestiniog (the town) but the rly is Festiniog. (IIRC).
    Front couplings is a little sore point. With the detail that's been added lately, all the assorted pipes and whatnot, front auto couplings get in the way (or does the detail get in the way?) The real railways use that hook in between the buffers with 3 links of chain.
    It does interfere with proper operations, because when an extra loco ("pilot") was needed, it was added in front of the train engine. So bachman are now supplying locomotives missing the front coupling. One of the latest releases has a tank in front of the coupler pocket -- you have to remove the detail to add the coupling.
  17. Mike14xx

Mike14xx New Member

If you mean the silver one his name was Spencer. Most of my Thomas trains are hornby but I will hold off on Emily. I also found this out from sonmeone who works at hornby- the Emily they have pictured on their site looks nothing like the Emily that is in stores. He said she will look extremely close to the actual one. And I just placed an order on their Edward. i know a guy who will professionally shorten Edward's boiler and side rods to make him more realistic.
  18. slekjr

slekjr Member

In our tourist operation you would be amazed at how much the Thomas train has brought the little ones, both boys and girls, into the fold. Many will never outgrow trains even if they do outgrow Thomas.
    As for me, I'm waiting for the George Carlan outtakes
    Charlie
  19. Mike14xx

Mike14xx New Member

Whats your tourist operation?
  20. slekjr

slekjr Member

We are just 30 miles northeast of you in Schenley, The Kiski Junction
    Charlie