Thomas takes the mainline

It doesn't take long for a two year old to figure out how to operate Granddad's trains.

Every visit to the train room now requires a run on the mainline by Thomas and friends.

Attachments

• thomas1.jpg
    thomas1.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 262

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
It is so cool to see young ones enjoying model trains.

My son who is now 4 and a half is why I got back into model railroading two years ago. My 7-year-old daughter loves to run the trains and actually likes to do switching moves. Her interest is why dad will be tearing down the current layout and expanding it to accommodate some more switching. Other favorites things she likes to help with are dipping the paper towels in the plaster solution, and painting the hard shell.

I also love to see Thomas. He has probably done more to help promote model railroading with the young kids than anything else has. If my son had not gotten interested in him I would not be here now.

NYCentral

Very Cool Gavin!! I so much enjoy watching children run layouts!! Now my youngest is 17 but she still loves to run my layout from time to time.

davidstrains

Gavin,

Nice photos. It is fun to watch the kids and the trains. i wish our grankids were closer. They are out in the Seattle area and we are here in Virginia. We don't see then often enough.:(

But they do have a train to run when they do come.:)

Chessie

It is always fun to see the magical look that comes over a childs face when they are watching or running a train.

I an lucky, My grandson lives next door and I see him often.
It's a great hobby :D

Mike

roryglasgow

I agree, Tom! Thomas has helped to kindle and rekindle a lot of interest in model railroading--myself, included! I'm thinking of modelling part of Thomas' branch line. The Complete Collection book, which has all of the original stories by Rev. W. Awdry, has a map of the Island of Sodor that labels where each of the significant events occurred: the tunnel that Henry got stuck in, Gordon's Hill, Mrs. Kyndley's house, etc.

Nice pics, Gavin. I love to see kids watching the trains. It's fun watching their little gears moving! :)

shamus

Registered Member
Very very nice to see the young ones running traind Gavin, my grandchildren like to run my little lot when they come over.

BTW, nice looking layout you have my friend.

Shamus

msh

Nice Gavin - thanks for the pics!
I too enjoy watching my five year old run the trains. Recently I got the Hornby HO Thomas and James engines from across the pond and I must say on DC those locos run great. Decoders on order - will modernize upon arrival. Then Christmas he gets them!

brakie

PEEP! PEEP! That young man appears to be enjoying what he is doing.I am always glad to see dads and sons enjoying the hobby.I recall those happy years with my dad when we operated our layout and recall the many days we went railfanning together.

Clerk

Gavin.
I loved those photos of you Grandchild. My youngest Grandchild, a girl, is 11 years old and lives in Oklahoma. Believe it or not, her daddy has a layout, and this girl has her own engines and cars she runs on it. The last visit out there (3 years ago) she showed the wife and me how to run trains. She even has DCC and she ran her trains like a pro. She is partial to the Shasta Daylight and keeps adding cars to her passenger consist. So far she has 10 passenger cars for her engine to pull around the track.

Larry,

She's a GIRL (Elaina). If she could talk she would probably send you an email scolding you for calling her a young MAN, he heh.

I have another grandchild "on the way" but ultrasounds indicate it is another girl. I told my daughter she is going to have to produce a grandSON or else I am going to turn her two girls into railfans :)

Gavin

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
Great photos Gavin, What a thrill it must give you.
Nothing like family support to keep us going. The look of concentration on Elaina's face is priceless.
You are indeed blessed.

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Gavin,
She's two, she has the throttle in hand, Thomas has obviously moved, and is still on the track.
I'd say you have already made her a rail fan !!!:D :D :D :D
Pete

Pooh Bah
Gavin:
That looks like N gauge. Is the Thomas a commercial model, or did you customize it yourself?

David,

Yes, it is "N".

Thomas, Annie & Clarabel are by TOMIX although, before these models were available, I had actually customized a Thomas engine myself by repainting a Graham Farish N scale 0-6-0 Tank engine. So now I have TWO Thomas's!! (My effort doesn't have a face though ... the TOMIX model came out before I had tackled that problem).

Here's a photo of MY conversion.

Attachments

• n_thomas2.jpg
    n_thomas2.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 47

Vic

Thanks for the pics Gavin. Looks like the youngster is really enjoying the trains. I gotta admit...if I'm channel surfing and come across Thomas and Friends on TV I'll stop and watch it:) :D

The rest of you guys and gals "fess up" too:D :D :D :D

N Gauger

1:20.3 Train Addict
Originally posted by Vic
Thanks for the pics Gavin. Looks like the youngster is really enjoying the trains. I gotta admit...if I'm channel surfing and come across Thomas and Friends on TV I'll stop and watch it:) :D

The rest of you guys and gals "fess up" too:D :D :D :D

I'll admit it!! I'm a "Closet Thomas watcher - surfing only" IF I see it I'll stop for a bit.

I bought the Thomas G-Gauge set - ran it around the X-mas tree one year. Then lent it to a friend for one x-mas (his girl was 8 - mine were about 16 & 14).

Then I ran it on the layout for about 3 months then retired it to the original box - that was about 4 yrs ago.

~~ Mikey