This section needs a build thread - Modelik MAN box truck

Discussion in 'Commercial & Civilian Vehicles' started by modelperry, Jul 9, 2008.

1. modelperry

modelperry Member

Now that I'm done with my sailing ship, I can get back to my roots a little bit. In the plastic world I build automotive almost exclusively. Lately I've been dabbling in different genres in the paper world and now its time to get back to my favorite type of subject.

I will now be building the Modelik 12/06 MAN LE 180C Box truck. I chose this one because it uses the same frame and powertrain as Modelik's Star aerial truck and I figured I could work out any bugs before I built the aerial version. I believe this is also the same basic kit as the Star military box truck that Modelik offers.

Here is a photo of the book cover.

Greg

Attached Files:

2. Tim Crowe

Tim Crowe Member

Good luck with this build

I have noticed a complete lack of rigging with this model! - I can see a trend developing here

Tim
  3. modelperry

modelperry Member

Thanks for the encouragement. Yes, I deliberately chose this one as there is no rigging or tracks!:twisted:

Greg
  4. Soaring

Soaring Guest

Sweet! Can't wait to see some of your updates ;)
  5. David H

David H Member

Hey Greg,

Great choice. I have a new project just started, it's on the same lines but more wheels... However, I think yours will have more components and more detail.

D
  6. modelperry

modelperry Member

the last two evenings I've been working on the basic frame. Parts fit thus far has been good. The paper is glossy and the ink seems to be a little touchy so I've had a little bit more clean-up on the color that I thought I would have. All in all though I am pleased with these early results.

Greg

Attached Files:

7. modelperry

modelperry Member

Here is some more progress on the frame assembly. The springs are built and mounted in the first picture. I made a mistake that I did not catch until too late on these springs. There is no lamintation note on the main spring parts, so I incorrectly assumed that there was none. There are patterns for the laminated parts because the entire length of the springs are not laminated. Since I missed this step, I've made blocks to put between the axles and springs to make up for the difference and correct the ride height.

The second (out of focus) photo is of the completed front axle. The core styrene rod could have been a little bit longer than the pattern for it called for, but I got it to work.

The third photo is of the rear axle. What's there built up easily.

Greg

Attached Files:

8. Soaring

Soaring Guest

Crazy good so far! The frame is so realistic!
  9. modelperry

modelperry Member

I began working on the wheels. The first wheel I built according to the drawings and parts provided. Most of the parts were to be butt glued to each other. The wheel came out OK, but I was not comfortable with the potential lack of strength so I decided to build one up with 1mm card inserts to support the tread and provide a better gluing surface for the sidewalls. I used the sidewalls to size the inserts. I think this is a better way to go so I will do the same with the rest of the wheels. The unsupported one will now become the spare.

Greg

Attached Files:

10. David H

David H Member

Cool, don't you sleep Greg?

I have have been building my Laiz tractor unit wheels too. Same issue so I used the patent "bobbin" method to make an oversized hub to which I will stick the printed parts(see Canon loading shovel thread). Quick. easy and strong.

D
  11. modelperry

modelperry Member

Sure I sleep. When the dogs, kids & wife let m....zzzzzzzzz.
  12. David H

David H Member

I wish I could sleep at the office it would be so much more efficient and leave more time for building.

And now to state the obvious The Patent Bobbin rendered in Sketch Up. Two discs and a tube, then recess one or two smaller discs inside the bobbin and attach to axle.

bobbin.jpg

bobbin3.jpg

D
  13. modelperry

modelperry Member

Thanks for the suggestion. I think it is similar to what I am doing. I will keep this in mind for future wheels. I got plenty of projects in my stack with wheels! :mrgreen:I still think they are easier than tank treads.:twisted:

Greg
  14. modelperry

modelperry Member

Here are some photos of the wheels in a couple of different stages. Also the frame with the axles mounted and the frame with the various tanks and boxes hung. The axle placement is not well defined and I ended up trimming the U-shaped cross member to position the rear axle correctly. When I build the aerial truck version I will be moving this piece back on the frame so I don't have to repeat this mod. The spare tire mount build up was a little vague in the diagrams, I'm sure the Polish text explained things properly:rolleyes:, But I got it figured out.

Greg

Attached Files:

15. CK Styles

CK Styles Senior Member

Those wheels are very nice. Kudos!
  16. modelperry

modelperry Member

I have started on the engine. Here's the first picture of it.

Greg

Attached Files:

17. modelperry

modelperry Member

The engine is done and somewhat installed. Somewhat because I haven't glued it in place yet since the drive shafts are not installed!

A couple of issues to deal with on this engine:

You need to make a belt for the front of the engine. This is no problem, just use a thin strip of masking tape and paint it black.

Part 40a, which is the fan, is non-existent. I made a photocopy of the one in the aerial truck version which is printed with the aerial boom parts and not with the engine. Since this box truck is derived from the aerial truck, I can see how this error was made, although better "proof reading" on Modelik's part would have picked this up.

Here is the one "in focus" engine install picture I have right now.

Enjoy,

Greg

Attached Files:

18. milenio3

milenio3 Active Member

My congratulations to you, Modelperry. This truck is looking very very good! Great job on the tires, and I can see you didn't sweat it... perfect!
  19. David H

David H Member

You are steaming ahead Greg!

I hope to get a couple of good sessions in over the weekend but if I finish the engine, I will be very, very amazed!

D
  20. modelperry

modelperry Member

I've been on vacation to Maine and haven't posted for awhile so here's the latest update.

the cab has been started. I'm through the floor, dashboard and seats. I'll be building the front bumper next and then back to the cab.

While on vacation, I built a GPM lighthouse. It was a nice 2 day project.

Greg

Here are photos, enjoy:

Attached Files: