This is why I quit.

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
I just tried to post a reply in the On30/advise? thread. Got the "done, freeze", and no reply posted. I tried again, and got " this is a duplicate post".
My reply never made it to the thread.
As a member, I can simply walk away.....irritated, muttering, tempted to never return. As a Mod, I couldn't do that, and the frustration of not being allowed to "do my job" became "not worth the effort"
Ever since The-Gauge was sold to this current "task master" it has been wrought with glitches, slow to respond, and too controlled, and frustrating to enjoy.
What really irritates me, is that this problem has been here far too long!!
F I X IT !!!!!!!!!!!!! ( and yes, I am shouting!)

phoneguy

Well it showed up here but not in the total visits or reply. So far there are no replies per the first page.

ezdays

Out AZ way
Well I think Zealot is having posting problems like we've had in the past, slow to respond and sometimes double posting as a result. I'm no longer in the loop, so I can only guess.

Ronson2k3

I agree it's not 'The Gauge' it's Zealot. I've been having similar difficulties posting as well. I've had posts go arie and sometimes shows that it's a duplicate post.

jeffrey-wimberl

It works good for me most times but sometimes when I post something I get the 'Duplicate Post' message or it doesn't post at all or it doesn't show up for several hours or even days. Sometimes (20% of the time) when I try to access a thread I get server problem messages.

EDIT: As a matter of fact I just got the 'Duplicate Post' message when I posted the above reply. I will also note that the reply DID NOT show up on the main page.

jeffrey-wimberl

Sometimes the response is immediate, sometimes delayed, sometimes doesn;t happen at all - as in Database Error. If I had a nickel for every time I saw that one.

Mountain Man

However, to return to the actual thread, since this is happening after the fact, it can't actually be the reason why anybody quit.

There were problems with the forum in the past, which were repaired, and I'm sure these will be fixed as well.

It's the Internet. One of these days, it's going to implode and we're all going to get googled in our wiki's. :cool:

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
sign1sign1sign1
It's the Internet. One of these days, it's going to implode and we're all going to get googled in our wiki's.
sign1sign1sign1

"Googled in our wiki's"........I love it!!!

sign1 I needed a good laugh! Thanks! sign1

MidnightRR

I just tried to post a reply in the On30/advise? thread. Got the "done, freeze", and no reply posted. I tried again, and got " this is a duplicate post".
My reply never made it to the thread.
If you quit, then why were you trying to post?

People who make a point of saying they are leaving don't actually do it--the ones who do, just disappear.

EDIT: In fact, the post just above this one is yours, too. But you said you'd quit. Which is it?

ezdays

Out AZ way
If you quit, then why were you trying to post?

People who make a point of saying they are leaving don't actually do it--the ones who do, just disappear.

EDIT: In fact, the post just above this one is yours, too. But you said you'd quit. Which is it?
I suspect that you don't understand what he meant by "quit". He didn't quit posting, he was a moderator here for years and that's what he quit doing. Most of the ex-mods and ex-admins from here still support this forum and still post here when possible. There were periods of time that doing just that was at best, difficult. Perhaps these problems have all been resolved by now, they appear to be.

steamhead

I too migrated to the "New Gauge"...but that doen't mean I quit this one. There are many old friends here, and I enjoy seeing new faces showing up here as well....The mods that quit moderating here did so due (as I understand it..) because there existed "irreconcilable" differences with management. But they, like all of us, still enjoy their trains, and I suspect, still have strong feelings for this forum, as they poured thousands of their "free" hours keeping things "on track", as it were....

nkp174

I suspect, still have strong feelings for this forum, as they poured thousands of their "free" hours keeping things "on track", as it were....

And continue to post here regularly despite the problems that were an issue.

Sumpter is a valuable member of the NG community here. He also suffers from "dial-up syndrome"...and so errors which irritate us, are much worse for him. I can understand his frustration and am glad he stuck around as a poster despite the frustrations.