This is Bad, real bad!

rcline

Jul 26, 2004
Byers, Tx. 76357
www.geocities.com
A few minutes ago I did a search on google for my little company,(a friend of mine e-mailed me and said that he could not find me on the net) my company is called Volkstech Inds. at volkstech.com , and what did I find? :confused: My e-mail address, (rcline@volkstech.com) and when I opened it, I found every post that we "all" had made under the heading of "what size soldering iron", :curse: I dropped out of PC101 a long time ago, anyone have any idea how that happened? :cry:

Hi Randy, :wave:

You had posted your e-mail address in the thread on all-model-railroading
forum. Your search returned that entry, along with the rest of the thread
from AMR. I didn't get a result from a Gauge thread, but it might be there,
also.

I'ts quite common to get search results within threads posted on these
forums. I have no idea of the mechanics of it, or whether it's a security
concern. The-Gauge forum (and AMR) keep your e-mail address confidential,
but, if it's posted in a thread, it becomes available for anyone.

Hope this helps some. :)

Doc Holliday

Oct 27, 2002
Big Valley, California
It's not just the Gauge forum. I regularly search for my name in the better know search engines. It's amazing what comes up. Forum postings, webpage guestbook comments, documents posted on web pages (press releases, meeting minutes,) etc. Some of if is even me, some is others with the same name. It's the information age.
Doc

nolatron

Nov 17, 2004
Katy, TX
railroad.sodh.net
Unless the webmaster puts a robot.txt file in the forum folder forbidding the site to e indexed, search engine robots will crawl and index every single page on the site. This why you'll find individual threads from a forum come up. Like said, since you typed out your email address in the topic, that's been indexed for that page and will come up for search results.

It's not security risk or anything because a non registered user could just load up the forum and see the same info if they'd had just gone the normal route.

make sense :)

F

Fred_M

One of the reasons the gauge software was updated was to make it EASIER for web spiders to index it. The more indexes, links, hits, and bandwidth the forum uses the higher it gets indexed in google, yahoo, etc. If you google "train forum" the #1 site returned is the gauge. On yahoo the gauge is #2. Then the owner can charge the sponsors at the bottom of the page more $ for their ads. That helps keep the forum on the internet. OK? Fred

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
Following your lead I did a search on my handle in MSN's engine. Lo, and behold, my webpage came up first in line. Made me feel all warm and fuzzy inside...maybe should start addin' payin' links.... :thumb:

N Gauger

1:20.3 Train Addict
Dec 20, 2000
South Eastern, PA
mywebpages.comcast.net
Google just went public with their stocks. They have plenty of capital to improve the search "robot" they designed. :) Down side is - if it's out there - Google Will find it!!

Try not to actually put your e-mail on any Bboard.. Use yournameREMOVETHIS@Thegauge.com EX.: rclineREMOVETHIS@volkstech.com This way - mailbots will get a false e-mail & any legitimate person should figure out to "remove this" before e-mailing you :)

The gauge does hide e-mails, as do most other decent sites... Banks - AMR - E-bay - Half.com etc :) :) But you cant put them inside posts - it doesn't work that way :(