Thinking about DCC

ctmpwrdcamry

Mar 30, 2005
I am looking at my layout and trying to plan ahead. currently i am running on loco with no switches on a cheapo power pack. How much would it cost to get a DCC system set up?
Thanks

SteamerFan

Sep 3, 2004
depends on how you want it to work. you can get an el-cheapo entry level, bare bone basic set for $75-150, or you can get a well rounded, good for years system for $250-500 or you could shoot for the moon and get Zimo for around $1000-1200.

Check out Tony's sight for comparrisons: http://tonystrains.com/
I personally have the NCE system and love it, other use Digitrax or lenz and love it, the new MRC Prodigy Advanced seems to be making waves as a new contender, so you may want to look at that one too.

if they look like they cost to much, figure how much it would cost you to wire, block and power every section of a layout in a conventional DC controled setup and they come out about the same.

you could always get a bachmann or atlas entry system for now, seeing as you say you have a very basic layout. this woyuld allow you to test things out, and later you could use the basic system for a test circuit and a programming track useage, while your main system works the real deal.

CalFlash

Oct 31, 2004
central Florida
SteamerFan said:
if they look like they cost to much, figure how much it would cost you to wire, block and power every section of a layout in a conventional DC controled setup and they come out about the same.

I've never seen a good solution to using more than 2 cabs on a DC layout. I never liked rotary switches (and you have to put an SPST in series to avoid problems). My friend had a pushbutton setup like a car radio giving 5 cabs but it was a surplus item and not generally available. DCC allows you to add as many cabs as you want (well within some limits depending on the system).

ctmpwrdcamry

Mar 30, 2005
Thats why i was thinking about DCC. I am ok with wireing to begin with and all that to make the switchs and all the cabs work is just crazy. For now I am going to stay with DC but when i get more than one cab, ill really have to decide on a DCC system.

CalFlash

Oct 31, 2004
central Florida
ctmpwrdcamry said:
Thats why i was thinking about DCC. I am ok with wireing to begin with and all that to make the switchs and all the cabs work is just crazy. For now I am going to stay with DC but when i get more than one cab, ill really have to decide on a DCC system.

I don't how big your layout is, but if you are going to have fairly lengthy wire runs (30' or more) do yourself a favor and twist the buss wires 3 or 4 turns/ft now to avoid potential problems when converting to DCC.

MikeRR

Mar 25, 2005
NEWYORK
trestles

can anyone tell me where they might sell open tresltes so my trains run thought them i am builting upper level need to put trestles on angle 4 trains to pass over .

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
MikeRR...

You could try your question in a new thread, maybe in the HO (or other appropriate forum) to get more responses.

Also, the Scratchin' & Bashin' forum has several threads about building trestles.

Good luck with your project... and welcome to The Gauge! :)

Andrew