Thinking About Building My Own Locomotive

Cannonball

More Trains Than Brains
Dec 4, 2006
St. Joseph, MO
Just thinking out loud and wondering how hard it would be to start my own model train line. Possibly just building locomotives to start. Nothing fancy, no bells and whistles. Maybe a working smoke unit and definately a headlight. I just want to build something good and solid that will run for days like the old engines without all the fancy stuff. I don't think it would be too difficult to get aftermarket parts of some sort to build the motors, trucks, drivers and all the inner workings. I think the hard part would be fiding a way to get the body fabricated.

I wonder how Joseph and Mike went about it when they started?

Smoke

SOU is for you!!
Sep 4, 2006
www.crescentmodelworks.com
Cannonball said:
Just thinking out loud and wondering how hard it would be to start my own model train line. Possibly just building locomotives to start. Nothing fancy, no bells and whistles. Maybe a working smoke unit and definately a headlight. I just want to build something good and solid that will run for days like the old engines without all the fancy stuff. I don't think it would be too difficult to get aftermarket parts of some sort to build the motors, trucks, drivers and all the inner workings. I think the hard part would be fiding a way to get the body fabricated.

I wonder how Joseph and Mike went about it when they started?

You could start here.
http://www.6axlepwr.com/
This guy is good, really good.:thumb:

Good luck

jbaakko

Jun 25, 2006
San Diego, CA
rr.blockchoice.com
WELL the easiest way is to approach a company that can do "rapid prototyping", that is, a CAD file of a unit. THEN approach a mold making company with the CAD file, and tell them to make a mold to fit it. If you want you can inject the plastic, but I suggest just going the resin route. I looked into getting resin molds made before (self aerating style), and I was quoted $1500, but then I wasn't very specific. I want to make resin detail parts.

Cannonball

More Trains Than Brains
Dec 4, 2006
St. Joseph, MO
shaygetz said:
"The best way to make a small fortune in model railroading is to start with a large one.":thumb:
I'm not looking to make a fortune. (Although I wouldn't turn one down either! :D )
I would just like to make a solid engine and not have to worry about all the malfunctions that seem to plague the modern stuff.

Cannonball

More Trains Than Brains
Dec 4, 2006
St. Joseph, MO
COMBAT said:
Like what? :eek:ops:
Go read the O Gauge forum.... you'll see what I mean.
It seems like every other thread that pops up in there is about somebody's new train set taking a dump on them in one way or another.

MilesWestern

Sep 20, 2005
CA
protopaintwest.googlepages.com
COMBAT said:
Like what? :eek:ops:

Yeah, Like what? We've NEVER had better running locomotives as those in the market today!!! :thumb:

What locomotives do you currently own, and why are you dissatified with them?

What would cause you to spend THOUSANDS of dollars on a locomotive that may never make it to the market successfully, when you can find a beautifully running locomotive for well under $200.00 in most cases!?!! (HO &N, and O I suppose)

Just wondering... :)

EDIT: Trainsets nowadays are throw-away commodities sometimes, the great american quest to save a dollar had rippled through our culture, causing companies to outsource jobs to cheaper locations, where the trains are built with cheaper materials, weaker warrantees and no quality control. Like the old Russian saying "You pretend to pay me, and I'll pretend to work." Simple as that.

COMBAT

Oct 28, 2006
Phoenix
Ahh.... doing HO only I never go there. I always thought there would be a good market out there to under sell the makers of this stuff. The mark up is outrageous. I mean over 100% mark up, it seems a little steep. Can you imagine how cheap it would be if you could buy train stuff at Wal-mart. LOL

Cannonball

More Trains Than Brains
Dec 4, 2006
St. Joseph, MO
MilesWestern said:
Yeah, Like what? We've NEVER had better running locomotives as those in the market today!!! :thumb:

What locomotives do you currently own, and why are you dissatified with them?

What would cause you to spend THOUSANDS of dollars on a locomotive that may never make it to the market successfully, when you can find a beautifully running locomotive for well under $200.00 in most cases!?!! (HO &N)

Just wondering... :)

I'm not dissatisfied with anything I currently own because all of mine is older stuff. I just wish some of the newer stuff worked as well. However, it seems like Lionel, MTH and all the rest are slowly sinking into the crapper. I know a lot of people blame forgien construction but the fact remains that the more complicated you make something (Trainsounds, DCC, remotes... etc), the harder it will be to make and do it correctly. If there was someone who got back to the basics and just made a reliable engine without all the fancy gadgets, I think there would be a market for them.

Cannonball

More Trains Than Brains
Dec 4, 2006
St. Joseph, MO
MilesWestern said:
Ok, now you're talking! :thumb: The only thing is that most people will think "Lionel!" when they think O gauge, even if it has to survive another General Mills era! :eek:ops: :curse:
Actually, most of my stuff is from the General Mills/Fundimensions era and still going strong. Plastic, yes. But those motors are kicking butt and taking names.

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
Cannonball said:
If there was someone who got back to the basics and just made a reliable engine without all the fancy gadgets, I think there would be a market for them.

And then if they'd also make cars, appliances, or whatever, keeping the same principles in mind.

Wayne