Think Jays Galactica is lonely, need some help

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by jwhawk04, Aug 16, 2007.

1. Revell-Fan

Revell-Fan Co-Administrator Administrator

Hi there!

If you would like to customize a model you may use your favourite 3D and 2D program. I use SketchUp for editing the mesh and The Gimp to adapt the texture. I am not used to Meta, and Blender is far beyond me. I mostly revise the unfolded pattern since it is easier for me to work with Gimp instead of applying a new texture on the model. You have to choose your own favourites; Meta, Photoshop or PaintShop may do it as well.

Good luck with your model; but remember to clean up the mesh first to avoid intersections. :wave:
  2. Revell-Fan

I have sent the whole package to ekuth and asked him to upload the kit so that it can be found in the download section. Unfortunately he hasn't answered yet. I'll PM him again.
  3. Revell-Fan

Here is a sneak peak of my Colonial Movers. I have revised the texture and corrected the proportions. This was the main part of the work; the kit itself is very easy and suitable for beginners. I suppose the most difficult steps might be aligning the mounting clamps and sliding the middle part over the spine. The test build is nearly complete. However, at this point I may say that I should have reduced the size a bit. The model will be veeery big in the end. I think I'll prepare two kits, a big one and a smaller one. Stay tuned!

Attached Files:

• cm2.JPG
      cm2.JPG
      File size:
      94.2 KB
      Views:
    • cm3.JPG
      cm3.JPG
      File size:
      78.7 KB
      Views:
  4. paulhbell

paulhbell Member

I'm gona do something I don't like doing here. :oops:

Is there any news when the Colonial one will be uploaded?

Would it be ok for someone to host the file for you, until it's uploaded. Still not sure on the links rule here after the uproar.
  5. Revell-Fan

Hello again! I have adapted the texture of the red LIN container to give you the Apogee and the ZOIC version. The engine exhaust was revised extensively and is a combination of Apogee and ZOIC. It comes much closer to the original now. I am now working on the radar array on the cheek nacelle. All of the other parts are standing by for final assembly, so I guess you will see the finished model very soon. CU!
    :wave:

Attached Files:

• cm4.jpg
      cm4.jpg
      File size:
      75.7 KB
      Views:
    • cm5.JPG
      cm5.JPG
      File size:
      69.6 KB
      Views:
  6. Revell-Fan

Just asked ekuth for a status report. I'll keep you posted.
  7. actias

actias New Member

God I wish I had this kind of talent
  8. Revell-Fan

In for a move?

Here comes the Colonial Movers. The reason why it took so long to prepare this ship is that it is flawed like the Blackbird; upgrading the Gemini was a walk in the park compared to this one. As I said before, parts are missing, the rear section is simplified and I spotted some severe texture issues (wrong colours, missing stripes, mirrored text). Patrick York's model is much more accurate (but not perfect either; coloured version by Nothing available here:
    http://www.zealot.com/forum/showpost.php?p=624265&postcount=1 ).

I changed the proportions a bit, altered the texture and created some additional parts to make it more authentic (and up to 66 cm / 26" long). This model is not perfect either but it surely is better than it was before. The biggest compromise was the texture of the containers. The filming miniature and the ZOIC CG model feature much more ribs. Feel free to adapt the texture so that they look more authentic. Please send me a copy if you do so.

The kit will be available in two different sizes, a big one (66 cm) and a regular one (46 cm).

During assembly I noticed one interesting thing: The ship components are modular, which means that it can be modified easily to make a whole Colonial Movers fleet. For this reason I give you some raw containers which you may paint yourself and additional mounting clamps which enables the ship to hold eight or ten containers. And yes, you can build the Apogee AND the ZOIC version.

I have contacted ekuth concerning Colonial One again and asked him when the files will be added to the BSG download section and if he could add the files for the Colonial Movers, too.

Have fun! And don't forget to post pics of your builds; I'd love to see a whole CM fleet!

RF :wave:

Attached Files:

9. sjsquirrel

sjsquirrel Member

Fab!

Revell-Fan you continue to amaze and mesmerize us. Great job on the movers ship.

I suggest you try contacting Zathros (he's one of the moderators) about the uploads as well. If Ekuth hasn't responded by now something is amiss.

I look forward to your next project.

Steve
  10. Revell-Fan

Yeah, thank you very much for the tip! I'll give it a try. I'm glad you like the models. BTW, your new website is great! :thumb:
  11. mcusanelli

mcusanelli Member

Trouble opening zipped BSG Colonial 1

Ekuth,
    I'm having trouble opening the files for the Colonial 1 model. I'm really terrible at doing anything on the computer. Is there a way you can help me, as I don't understand the instructions....I downloaded Winzip, and I have Winrar, but nothing seems to work. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated, this model is really beautiful (Thanks Revell-Fan, your work is incredible!) - I really cant wait to build this! Again, thanks for your help,
    Mike:
  12. paulhbell

paulhbell Member

Opened ok for me. You have to download all the model files, don't alter the first file, then you need to alter the extension for the other files. You just need to deleate the .zip from the files, leaving the z number. So for example change BSG-ColonialOne1.z01.zip to BSG-ColonialOne1.z01 .Do this with all 6 files, then click on the first file BSG-ColonialOne1.zip it will then extract properly.

Some computer operating systems (windows) may not show the extension, so you need to go onto your start menu, click on control panel, click on folder options, click on the view tab, scroll down till you see ''Hide extensions for known file types'' make sure that the box is empty (no tick), you should then be able to see the extension. Then make the alterations above.

Good luck.

P.S. the model is excellent, well done Revellfan.
  13. Zathros

Zathros Guest

Paul, Thanks for the info, I was about to download that and am sure i would have started banging my head.! :)
  14. mcusanelli

mcusanelli Member

Thanks Paulhbell,
    I had only downloaded the first three files, and then I was told I exceeded my download limit for the day..... I did what you said, and I was able to get rid of the .zip on the second and third, so hopefully, I'll be able to download the rest tomorrow....I'll let you know-
    Mike
  15. paulhbell

paulhbell Member

Glad to help.
  16. paulhbell

paulhbell Member

Don't know anything about a password. Extracted ok without one. Are you using winrar or winzip.
  17. Zathros

Zathros Guest

Wow, I had a hard time doing that. Then I woke up, and it worked flawlessly!!tooth1
  18. mcusanelli

mcusanelli Member

Hey guys,
    I was able to download the files this morning, but more difficulty.... I followed your advice and got rid of the .zip extentions, but I can't get them to open...It says that the files are not recognizable, or are corrupted, ect. Quite honestly, I'm confused, and my lack of computer skill is kicking my butt on this one, despite your kind help. Is there any way these files can be posted in a simpler way? I'm sorry to be a pain, but if it's not idiot-simple, I'm not gonna get to build this! Thanks again.
    Mike
  19. Zathros

Zathros Guest

Make sure that you go to TOOLS/Folder Options/Click the "View" Tab"/ then check the box that has "Hide Extensions for known files types", then click apply and you should see the folders with the full file extension. Modify accordingly. This is for Windows 7 but XP is the same, basically.
  20. mcusanelli

mcusanelli Member

Zathros,
    I did do that, but it doesn't seem to work......for me, that is. I have windows 7, and winrar 32.