Think Jays Galactica is lonely, need some help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Master-Bruce

Aug 15, 2007
Paul's Uk based too Nothing. Sorry dude.

I watch it when everyone's asleep. No-one else in my house likes it so you'll often catch me watching it at 2.00am. :)

It has been getting quieter lately. SJ has other things to get on with as well as this. We've been keeping him from them for a while now. I'm still on side though. Can't wait to get a new one to work on. :)

Season three isn't bad. Starts great! Gets a little slow in the middle, but boy!! What a Frackin' ending!! Can't wait for season 4. If I could only travel through time and watch it.

sjsquirrel

Feb 9, 2006
British Columbia, Canada
stevebondy.ca
Oops!

i found a slight problem with the mine ship. the front spar intersects the front disk.

i think ill have to trim the disk cause if i trim the base part down the gear wont be even. or i could trim the spar itself.

Sorry about that one. I was totally aware of that but must have forgotten to go back and do it. I'll have a corrected part for you shortly.

Who unfolded that one? I'll need to know what scale was used in Pepakura so I can make the new part the proper size.

And thanks for the compliments. I really should get off my a-- and write a tutorial on Meta....

SJ

P

paulhbell

sjsquirrel, I've just noticed you are looking at the 'seaview'. One of my fav's.

How come we in the UK got hold of season 3 before the US. That normally doesn't happen. Look at the star trek collections, we had to wait from 6 months to 1 year after you guys. Can't you import the dvd's, most players actually play all reagons now anyway.

Nothing

Longtime Member
Sep 13, 2006
yankee44.webs.com
well i would pay double for one thing with the exchange rate. and ive been hearing the uk release is supar in quality.

"SJ has other things to get on with as well as this" i understand, im paitient.:thumb:

as far as thre tutorials they would be great. i figured how to edit the meshes in meta but the textures dont apply corectly(probsbly cause i dont know how to fiddle with them in meta) and when i edit in lightwave i lose the uv maps.:cry:

P

paulhbell

Yes, the exchange rate is a bit in our favour at the monent, sorry. Anyway, I hope you can get hold of the dvd's soon.

sjsquirrel

Feb 9, 2006
British Columbia, Canada
stevebondy.ca
Project overload.....

sjsquirrel, I've just noticed you are looking at the 'seaview'. One of my fav's.

Hey Paul. I've always loved the Seaview too. It's one of the first sci-fi series I watched as a kid. I got a very high quality (and high polygon) mesh from Luis Ramos Janeiro and got his permission to develop it into a paper model. That was almost two years ago now. Between building models and learning Meta and Pepakura, and the rest of life, I keep getting distracted with other projects like this one. I'm also building a paper model of the 1957 Belvedere (the car used in the movie Christine) for my father-in-law. It was his first car. I'm trying to get that done for a Christmas present, so that's taking some of my time these days.

There are 4 or 5 more ships in this package that aren't available elsewhere, and once we get those out I'm going to start focusing on the Seaview and get that project done. Now, I have a plan, I just have to stick to it sign1

@ Nothing - I have the corrected spar for the mining ship ready. I fixed up the textures on it while I was at it too. I honestly can't remember who unfolded it and I'm too lazy to look back through the thread right now, so whoever it was send me an email and I'll fire off the PDO. You can do up a correction sheet or whatever and post that in the downloads too.

P

paulhbell

sjsquirrel-I would like to learn how to use Meta and Pepakura better than I can now, but all you guys give me no spare time with the new models that you keep turning out.

Master-Bruce

Aug 15, 2007
It was I who unfolded it buddy. Go ahead and send it to me and I'll get on it.

About season three, I think I read somewhere that we here in the Uk have got every season before you guys in the States. That's really weird, when normally as Paul pointed out, we're always waiting for you guys to get it first.

I personally would love to get a tutorial. SJ, as you know I have a few things I'd like to get out there but am in your hands for fixing and cleaning meshes first. If you were to have some time, I'd much appreciate a tut' so that I could release you from my grip so to speak. I always feel bad when I ask you about cleaning this or how long for that. We're keeping you tied tightly to this project and we know you have other things on you plate too.

Please get off your A#* and write one??? LOL! :)

Master-Bruce

Aug 15, 2007
Abso-bloody-lutely! I'm having too much fun here to stop. As I said I have loads of ships I'd like to do. I really want to revise or rather do new Galactica and Pegasus models but don't want to keep SJ from his projects.

Now if there were a nice tutorial out there.... :) LOL!!!

Nothing

Longtime Member
Sep 13, 2006
yankee44.webs.com
well i figured how to clean a mesh in meta i just get stuk on the uv and texture issue.im looking forward to the redo of galactica and pegasus as well.

i fixed the prob on my miner. i just cut out were needed on the spar.
tram.jpg

Master-Bruce

Aug 15, 2007
Looks good buddy! :) I've done the replacement part for it and will upload it shortly to the downloads section. Sorry Nothing.

It's just one sheet with the revised part. 22Kb zipped I think. :)

Nothing

Longtime Member
Sep 13, 2006
yankee44.webs.com
thats why i didnt go into detail on what i did.

i found one disadvantage to doing these smaller.these landing claws are a real pain! took about 40 min to get this one done! ill have to wait awhile between each one as i dont know if my nerves will take it.

tram 001.jpg

Master-Bruce

Aug 15, 2007
Looks superb!! Things like that are partially what drive/steer me to bigger models. It's not just me being selfish. :)

You did a fantastic job though, very crisp. :)

Off now to upload the replacement part.

sjsquirrel

Feb 9, 2006
British Columbia, Canada
stevebondy.ca
Platform ship

Thought you all might appreciate a little behind the scenes look at what goes into getting one of these meshes ready. Here's a couple good examples from the platform ship. The first image shows four spheres on + shaped stands that sit at the right-rear of the ship. You can see how the textures are a little off. The second pic shows what the spheres look like after the textures are adjusted.

The first job though is splitting the stand and the sphere into two separate objects so we can work on them independently. When I did that I found the stand was two criss-crossed sections that actually pass through each other. For a cardmodel this has to be altered so you can actually build it. The stand also just extends up inside the sphere - another issue to deal with.

The third pic shows the original stand, and what it looks like after it's been adjusted so you can actually build it, and stand a sphere in it. More often than not, this process also creates distortions in the texture, so then you have to go back and fix that up.

There are some time savers though. You'll notice there are four spheres, two large and two small. I really only have to clean up one of each, then clone the cleaned up ones, and delete the other two originals.

For the stands, I fixed up one, cloned it, scaled the clone up a bit for the larger spheres, then cloned each of these once more to get the four stands.

That's 8 of the 60 objects in this mesh. Many others had similar intersections as well, each requiring individual attention.

I'm getting close to finished with this ship though. I still have a number of parts to clean up, and the main platforms present some challenges. I'm going to have to cut it up here and there so that the parts won't be excessively large. I'll also have to add some reinforcing pieces here and there too.

Of all the ships we've done so far this mesh has taken the longest to prepare. I've probably put between 15 and 20 hours into cleaning up this mesh so far, and I estimate at least another 5 hours yet before it's ready for unfolding. Considering that's 2 and half working days, you get an idea of why it sometimes takes a few weeks to get one of these out the door (and why I'm seriously thinking about that tutorial sign1).

Stay tuned,

SJ

Attachments

• AG-1.jpg
    AG-1.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 15
  • AG-2.jpg
    AG-2.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 11
  • AG-4.jpg
    AG-4.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 11

Nothing

Longtime Member
Sep 13, 2006
yankee44.webs.com
i fully understand.which is why i say you deserve the lions share of credit on this project.fixing the texture part i havnt been able to figure out.

Master-Bruce

Aug 15, 2007
Thanks SJ. I understand what is wrong when a mesh has intersection and know what needs to be done to fix it. For me the problem is I don't know how to do it. LOL

I've edited a mesh in Meta with some success in the past. I've been able to alter the wireframe to work as a papermodel. Then again, sometimes I've tried it and have no idea what I'm doing. :) Like Nothing though, the textures get screwed up and that's what I can't fix.

I'd like to be able to do this succesfully.

Thanks for the peek into what you do for us all. I appreciate it. Makes me appreciate more the fact that you're here helping us. :)

I have roamed the site first, looked for the models and where what is.

Now I'f got the models, and got a few links in my F.F.
I have a couple questions.
- What's the best thickness of paper to use?
- What's the best (easiest) model of the fleet to start whit?

p.s.
What I wonder, is the new galactica that difficult?
I mean there are ships of the fleet that have a lot of curves, some more than the Galactica but she has really allot of sharp angels.
Do not shoot me, I'm just wondering.

Status
Not open for further replies.