There once was a layout....

MilesWestern

....that was given to me at the tender age of three. It was N scale partially scenicked, but without a single tree. I played with it very much, until I lost intrest as such, and continued onto a larger gauge made by the deustch. (Dutch) (and HO scale.) It sat forlorn in an open barn, until we moved from our farm after which It had a stint in the my room, but soon it was moved out to the shed, and persumed my layout was dead. (lame rhyming, huh? :rolleyes:)

Just yesterday, my N scale friend, CaddilacSD_9 (on the gauge) and I unearthed the old layout, and with much eagerness by my parents, restored it to running condition!

So that brings us to my layout. N scale, 3X6ish in size, double track main, siding, and my problem: the industrial spurs and yard.

MilesWestern

The Photographs never lie...

This is a 'satelite photo' of the entire layout.

Attachments

• trackplan.JPG
    trackplan.JPG
    24.6 KB · Views: 297

MilesWestern

As you can see, the spur tracks aren't laid yet, this is would like some advice on.

Attachments

• yard.JPG
    yard.JPG
    26.4 KB · Views: 291
  • siding.JPG
    siding.JPG
    24.3 KB · Views: 289

Triplex

There's nothing there yet that I (or anyone else) would call a yard. The layout definitely needs more spurs. Build the spur in the corner that you're clearly planning to. I also suggest making one of those unlaid spurs branch into two - the resulting tracks won't be long, but they'll allow spotting cars at different locations. For switching that isn't so convenient, put two industries along the same spur. Or make one into a a switchback.

MilesWestern

If you look at the overall view of the layout, the spur on the left will become a four track yard. This is the "Eastern" terminius of a MYTrak layout. My trak is like Ntrak, but built to standards that my friend and I set up a few months ago.

I have some questions however.
-Should I include and "escape track" for inbound freight locomotives in the yard?
-What industry Ideas might you have for trackage on the right side of the layout?
-Would this track better be hidden with buildings, or scenery? (I cannot find a reasonably good location for a tunnel, keep that in mind)
- should there be a spur off the siding leading to an industry?
-How can I integrate my inner/outer main operations? (like passenger/freight?)

If you weren't going to add any more space, I'd suggest building a small yard off the passing siding, and adding a spur in the space between the outer and inner tracks at the top.

webmaster

If you didn't want to many buildings in the center, you could always put a switchback in opening up in to a larger multitrack yard.