Therapy plane...pick a card....

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by cjwalas, Apr 22, 2007.

1. cjwalas

cjwalas Member

My shoulder problem is slowly getting better and for therapy, I'm doing a scaled down GPM JU-87B trop. The reason I'm doing this is for two reasons;
    I need to move up from just paper to heavy paper and light cardboard; and
    I already had this one printed!:wink:
    I printed it a while ago and I don't remember what I scaled it down at; somewhere between 30 & 35%, I think.
    View attachment 10427
    I can't handle big pieces of paper yet, so this seemed like a great option.
    I'm trying to use all the parts I can and the framing pieces are glued to 1/2mm cardboard (about all I can handle so far!).
    I'd done a 1:33 build of the GPM Stuka, so I wasn't worried about any surprises.
    The funny thing is that I had the same ill-fitting couple of pieces on the little one as I did on the regular one. But the nose came together with no real trouble;
    View attachment 10428
    I'm not really worried about the model here, this is all about relearning to manipulate and hold things (carefully!), so glue blobs and misfits are just fine. The fuselage went together well enough;
    View attachment 10429
    The surprising thing was how much easier the wings were to build and how much better everything seemed to fit!
    View attachment 10430
    Anyway, that's as far as I've gotten so far. This may take me a while to finish, but it's a nice little challenge. My secret idea here is to eventually scale down the really nice GPM JU-87D with its great coloring and weathering.
    Chris
  2. cjwalas

cjwalas Member

My shoulder problem is slowly getting better and for therapy, I'm doing a scaled down GPM JU-87B trop. The reason I'm doing this is for two reasons;
    I need to move up from just paper to heavy paper and light cardboard; and
    I already had this one printed!:wink:
    I printed it a while ago and I don't remember what I scaled it down at; somewhere between 30 & 35%, I think.
    View attachment 10427
    I can't handle big pieces of paper yet, so this seemed like a great option.
    I'm trying to use all the parts I can and the framing pieces are glued to 1/2mm cardboard (about all I can handle so far!).
    I'd done a 1:33 build of the GPM Stuka, so I wasn't worried about any surprises.
    The funny thing is that I had the same ill-fitting couple of pieces on the little one as I did on the regular one. But the nose came together with no real trouble;
    View attachment 10428
    I'm not really worried about the model here, this is all about relearning to manipulate and hold things (carefully!), so glue blobs and misfits are just fine. The fuselage went together well enough;
    View attachment 10429
    The surprising thing was how much easier the wings were to build and how much better everything seemed to fit!
    View attachment 10430
    Anyway, that's as far as I've gotten so far. This may take me a while to finish, but it's a nice little challenge. My secret idea here is to eventually scale down the really nice GPM JU-87D with its great coloring and weathering.
    Chris
  3. Dyna-Soar

Dyna-Soar Member

Good work, especially in such a small scale.
  4. Dyna-Soar

Dyna-Soar Member

Good work, especially in such a small scale.
  5. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

Wow. Are you using ALL the parts???

I'm kind of boggled about this since we are hitting the 1/90 or 1/100 scale area on a 1/33 model no doubt there is only so much one can slice from already a 1/33 small part to begin with.

Love it though. Wish I had the nerve and patience to perform at that level.

=O
  6. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

Wow. Are you using ALL the parts???

I'm kind of boggled about this since we are hitting the 1/90 or 1/100 scale area on a 1/33 model no doubt there is only so much one can slice from already a 1/33 small part to begin with.

Love it though. Wish I had the nerve and patience to perform at that level.

=O
  7. cjwalas

cjwalas Member

The only parts I haven't used so far are a couple from the cockpit interior and the tailwing formers. The cockpit parts came out so dark that I couldn't see where the parts went!
    The tailwing formers didn't want to sit right for some reason and I had to abandon them.
    I'm sure I'll skip a couple of other parts, almost certainly the former circles for the bombs. But I'm using all the exterior detail parts, for sure! I've had to print the whole kit again on regular paper for the really tiny parts, but so far...so good!
    Chris
  8. cjwalas

cjwalas Member

The only parts I haven't used so far are a couple from the cockpit interior and the tailwing formers. The cockpit parts came out so dark that I couldn't see where the parts went!
    The tailwing formers didn't want to sit right for some reason and I had to abandon them.
    I'm sure I'll skip a couple of other parts, almost certainly the former circles for the bombs. But I'm using all the exterior detail parts, for sure! I've had to print the whole kit again on regular paper for the really tiny parts, but so far...so good!
    Chris
  9. Texman

Texman Guest

Exxccelllent! Another one comes to down scaleing side! My evil plan
    is progressing nicely, much the same as you Stuka Chris. It is looking
    well done. Off hand, I would say it looks in the neighborhood of 1/72
    scale.

Ray
  10. Texman

Texman Guest

Exxccelllent! Another one comes to down scaleing side! My evil plan
    is progressing nicely, much the same as you Stuka Chris. It is looking
    well done. Off hand, I would say it looks in the neighborhood of 1/72
    scale.

Ray
  11. cjwalas

cjwalas Member

Well, it's not really well done, Ray. But it will get done!:grin:
    It's definitely smaller than 1/72 by a good margin. I think the 1/90+ something is a closer guess from what I can tell. My biggest problem is the thicknesses. Most of what I'm doing is 67lb. paper and it isn't scaled to the 1/2mm formers. The slight difference can be awkward with some of the fitting, but overall, it's not nearly as difficult as you might think. I thought I would be using more of the regular paper, but the 67 is overall easier to work with. The best part is that my shoulder seems to be handling it OK!
    Chris
  12. cjwalas

cjwalas Member

Well, it's not really well done, Ray. But it will get done!:grin:
    It's definitely smaller than 1/72 by a good margin. I think the 1/90+ something is a closer guess from what I can tell. My biggest problem is the thicknesses. Most of what I'm doing is 67lb. paper and it isn't scaled to the 1/2mm formers. The slight difference can be awkward with some of the fitting, but overall, it's not nearly as difficult as you might think. I thought I would be using more of the regular paper, but the 67 is overall easier to work with. The best part is that my shoulder seems to be handling it OK!
    Chris
  13. thewoodengraver

thewoodengraver Active Member

Awesome...so far...!:grin:

One would think, the smaller you build, the thinner the paper.
    I found the opposite to be true...for smaller that is.

I find 110# cardstock is quite workable at this and smaller scales. In fact, I find it necessary. I have fumble-fingers, and the 110# prevents ALOT of boo-boos. If I modeled in " paper" I would have lots of tightly rolled balls.

Very nice Chris!...er...Lefty!:twisted:
  14. thewoodengraver

thewoodengraver Active Member

Awesome...so far...!:grin:

One would think, the smaller you build, the thinner the paper.
    I found the opposite to be true...for smaller that is.

I find 110# cardstock is quite workable at this and smaller scales. In fact, I find it necessary. I have fumble-fingers, and the 110# prevents ALOT of boo-boos. If I modeled in " paper" I would have lots of tightly rolled balls.

Very nice Chris!...er...Lefty!:twisted:
  15. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

Inspiring work, Chris! 8)
    I was always scared of the tiny stuff, till one day Phil pushed me into it!
    Now I know better, thank you Phil for helping me to see the light!
    There is no turning back for you now, Chris!
    Once you realize it's not so bad, your hooked!:twisted:

Beautiful work, Chris! Keep it up!

Russell
  16. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

Inspiring work, Chris! 8)
    I was always scared of the tiny stuff, till one day Phil pushed me into it!
    Now I know better, thank you Phil for helping me to see the light!
    There is no turning back for you now, Chris!
    Once you realize it's not so bad, your hooked!:twisted:

Beautiful work, Chris! Keep it up!

Russell
  17. Padre

Padre Guest

I am also thinking about building "Tiny". I am running out of room with what i have already and need more space. maybe I will make a friend happy with a gift of what I have and start over smaller. Then I will have more space and can build more.
  18. Padre

Padre Guest

I am also thinking about building "Tiny". I am running out of room with what i have already and need more space. maybe I will make a friend happy with a gift of what I have and start over smaller. Then I will have more space and can build more.
  19. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

This looks great! Thanks for sharing the progress with us.
    Chris
  20. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

This looks great! Thanks for sharing the progress with us.
    Chris