The Unseen University

Discussion in 'Architecture Models' started by kenw, May 14, 2007.

1. Clashster

Clashster Member

Congrats on POTW! Quite spectacular when you log onto the site!

Chris
  2. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

well deserved too I might add. :D I love buildings - hopefully one day I can make one that turns out square!
    Chris
  3. 60103

60103 Pooh Bah

Ken: your thread was mentioned in the MR section.
    I've had the book since I saw it but it's still in good condition. I've been looking for a shop-worn or damaged one that I can buy cheaply and actually cut up, but they seem to have disappeared from the shelves; I'll have to order a new pristine copy.
  4. maltedfalcon

maltedfalcon New Member

I love this model, I just got my copy of the book and am working on the best way to proceed, I only have two problems with the model, the first being the spiral staircase on the observatory, But I see that has already been addressed by another modeler. So my only problem with this model is the Tower of Art.
    It's about 1/2 as tall as it should be and it doesn't taper. I am going to start with the tower and I am currently working on fixing those issues. I photoshopped an explanation of what I mean and will post it shortly.
  5. OhioMike

OhioMike Member

Absolutely amazing work! The diaorama work involving the river especially so!
  6. OK after several trips thru this thread i still can't find where this model can be purchased. Help?
  7. John L.

John L. New Member

A great model. I just don't have the heart to cut my book up. I will have to find another copy of the book. Thank you very much for posting yout photos. John L.
  8. maltedfalcon

maltedfalcon New Member

At this point your only option is probably going to be Ebay
    After about 2 weeks of searching - one came on
    I got it for about 19$ unfortunately it was in Australia and it is a big thick heavy book, shipping cost more than the book...

on the plus side, I got it it, it is fantastic,
    Yesterday I took a deep breath and started cutting up the binding.
    I am going to scan each piece and test build it before I build the actual.

I scanned it at 300dpi and printed it on 110# cover using a color laser printer
    and the quality of the print is almost perfect.
  9. jagolden

jagolden Guest

10. archangel1

archangel1 Member

It's still showing as being in stock at Chapters/Indigo, here in Canada, for about $25 CDN.

chapters.indigo.ca: Search in Books for unseen university

Cheers,
    Mike :wave:
  11. Traveller

Traveller New Member

Now that is one amazing diorama! I have never read any of Terry Pratchet's books but have heard great things about them. Il'l also bet it was easier to build that paper model than a similar model of resin or plastic. Especially since you would have to scratch build all of tha stuff in plastic. It would also be cheaper too. Imagine if you had a teeny electric train to run around between the buildings!
  12. Bas Taller

Bas Taller New Member

Well done! Thanks for you work! Thanks for you photos!

Precious! Really magic world! Really atmospheric scene! Really inspiration diorama! Really huge amount of work!

May I ask you: from what you maked your river? If it's not a secret, of course.
  13. PaperRonin

PaperRonin Member

YES!

I got my hands on a copy of the book :D :D
    As soon as I noticed this thread, I needed to get it for my wife, who is a HUGE Pratchett fan...

Wasn't easy to obtain, but it look like it will be more difficult to build ;)
  14. Jackrum

Jackrum Member

I'm currently building this. Having lots of fun so far but I can't for the life of me find part 20 of the observatory! Does anyone know which page the little sods on?
  15. alang

alang Member

"Missing" Observatory part 20.

Jackrum

Page 73, right-hand side, just below half way, amongst all the 50s and 60s.

I wonder whether these "misplaced" parts are some sort of Pratchettian joke.

Alan
  16. Jackrum

Jackrum Member

*sigh* Looks like I need to have my eyes tested! THANK YOU Alan; I thought I was going nuts!
  17. OhioMike

OhioMike Member

Just got this off amazon for $18.00. Im not real big on the wizard fantasy thing but i do enjoy a little of the Victorian sci-fi thing. So maybe a diorama along those lines with a "steampunk Airship" involved somehow????
  18. MKABear

MKABear New Member

Son of a gun. This is the first post I went to, and this is IMPRESSIVE.

Wow, just wow!
  19. AlanB

AlanB New Member

Ken, this is a fantastic job. I'm the fella who designed and illustrated the model for the book. I stumbled across your model and this forum while googling the UU Book and felt compelled to join. Your model is exquisite, probably better than the one I built for the front cover. How long did it take you?
  20. Marco Scheloske

Marco Scheloske Member

Hi Alan,

cool that you joined here. Please let me say "thank you, thank you, thank you!!!" for that wonderful piece of art you created!!

Meanwhile I bough the UU book 3 times: One to build (I already started, but just the "wall of names" and the "river wall" are finished yet), one to put it into the book shelf (because I like the book itself so much), one "just in case".

I`ld love to see more Discworld papermodels from you!!