The Uhu02 appreciation thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Z

Zathros

When UHU is ready, he will do what he is going to do, let's just leave it at that! O.K.? Thanks! He has put enough models to last quite a long time for even the fastest modeler.

uglyguy9

Mar 7, 2008
i morn the loss of possibly the greatest paper engineer of this decade...if not all time.....my thanks to you UHU02 for the many great models you have given us....i have enjoyed building and watching others build your incredible models.
cheers mate
:wave:

Eric Ferguson

Sep 13, 2005
I agree. THANKS Uhu for the joy you've given people. Wish io someday have the skills to build even one of yours. But have enjoyed seeing what can be done. First saw your Proteus and Black Pearl. Proteus was genius, complete with interior. Love old sailing ships, and thrn saw the 2001 models. THANKS!!!

oriod01

Nov 16, 2009
This is the UHU appreciation thread.

No more "What's happened" questions, Please!

That's cool. Just understand all the 'what happeneds' come from the fact that most here respect UHU deeply and follow his work closely, yet were not privy (as were some obviously) to why he suddenly and without a word just vanished. It is a very valid inquiry and it is a show of appreciation to be concerned. There are many different reasons why a designer/modeler would suddenly fall off the face of the earth. I personally was concerned some personal tragedy had happened.

UHU means a great deal to any true paper modeler. I think I speak for just about everyone that it is fine if he never releases another model. We are just concerned that he is ok and curious as to the sudden disappearance. I watch closely the progress of all the models he designs (even those I have no interest in building) because his work his so freaking amazing.

Thanks for everything UHU and good luck to you. You are by far one of the best... if not 'The Best' and you are missed. We love you man!

Gixergs

Jul 10, 2007
I believe UHU02 has pulled his site because of pirating issues,without getting involved with the whys and wherefores it seems that something has occurred to make UHU02 feel that his trust and talent has been abused.I have just become aware of one incident that happened and honestly believe that a misunderstanding has happened in this particular case BUT ultimately it is UHU02 that has to decide on the use of his models and what he decides is therefore law.I hope as a big admirer of UHU02's art that a solution is forthcoming and his incredible works are available again however should this not be the case then I would like to say thank you UHU02 for the fabulous works in the past and hope you will at least pop in here from time to time to show us more creations,enjoy your fishing with respect and admiration
Gixergs.

Z

Zathros

I look forward to when we reunite with UHU!! Sometimes, the bush needs to be trimmed to help it grow fuller, as is done with Bonsai Trees. Much trimming, and a work of living art! We UHU admirers are this living tree, sometimes, bad pieces are trimmed for the benefit of the tree. That's how I see it anyways. In my humble opinion.

paper hollywood

Darned shame. UHU, in my mind, is the greatest card model designer we've got right now. I would love to chat with him about his pirating issues. I believe it's because a jerk or two have posted his models for sale on eBay. I think if he tried a different approach he might be able to hedge that better. I like the way Paper Replika handles model downloads. He passwords the PDF with the site name-- as well as making downloaders check an agreement form. The truth is, of course, that there is no perfect way to foil piracy on the web. The best approach, I think, is to not worry so much about the occasional grinch and concentrate on what Gary Vaynerchuk calls "the thank you economy". The theory is that if you put out good work on the web, the majority of your following will support your efforts. You can't have a perfect system, though. The basic concepts of quantum physics kind of apply to the Web as well, I think.

Wade

oriod01

Nov 16, 2009
I think this board as well as all the others should consider posting a sticky (the first sticky) in every Category regarding piracy and respecting designers (as if it really needs to be explained). Furthermore, each and every new member should have to read and agree to respect designer's rights and their creations, whether they be members here, offer their creations here, or not. No more being able to claim, "I'm new to the hobby/forum and I didn't know."

eatonad

May 6, 2011
UHU one of the truely great designers

I likewize am saddend that UHU has pulled his site. I have read the many comments concerning piracy. In a way this itself is a tribute to the greatness of his work. If it wasn't that good they would not steel it. This is still no excuse. UHU I love your work and concider it among the very best ever produced. Your models are popular because not only are they exceptional designs but you also seam to know what everyone would like to build.

oriod01

Nov 16, 2009
Dear UHU,

Although we are all deeply saddened by the fact that we may never be able to build another of your incredible models... We all understand, respect, and support your decision.

Hopefully you may eventually consider opening your site back up to at least show us what you are doing, even if you can't share your work anymore. It is truly a joy and privilege to just see the magic of your creations and a very generous gift beyond measure to be able to actually build one.

It has been such a joy to watch you work. Thank you so much for the priceless gifts you have given us over the years. You are a god in this realm.

We love you man!

Nov 29, 2010
Lakeland Fl.
Hi all ok stupid question. I am working on the Black Pearl and love uhu02 models...will post some pics.

Question about instructions. My daughter is a big fan of PotC so I thought I'd build the Black Pearl for her, luckily I was able to download it the day before the shut down. The problem is all I have for instructions is two color pages with pictures of different sections of the build, mostly just the small details. Did I miss something in the down load? I think sequence of assembly will be crucial in this build. There's waaay too much detail here to attempt it on what I have.

Z

Zathros

I am not sure. This will be a problem for a while. I sugest if you study the models pictures and search the forum for previous builds, may Google it too, you will find some help till this gets cleared up. I have great hope that UHU02 will revive his website, and I personally will continue to adhere to any and all of his desires concerning his models. The persons who have equivocated and feel justified in their actions are not helping the situation but they are not here, and any posts supporting this blatant disregard for UHU will be dealt with accordingly. Do a good Google search, try searching under images, and you may be able to discern the proper assembly. Posting pictures in a build thread will also allow others to give you some suggestions.

Fiver

Dec 14, 2007
Michigan
This is devastating.

There was nothing I looked forward to more than what the master was creating next...that he would share them freely with us was a true gift in and of itself. The loss of his site and works is a blow to the entire hobby and genre. Like all of the rest of us who truly appreciate his work, I stand by his decision and am grateful beyond measure for what he has given us. To say that he will be missed is more than an understatement.

So passes and era. I am so grateful I was part of it.

Z

Zathros

Last time UHU's very minimal requests were not respected, he came back with a new way of getting his models. Let's have a little faith, and when you download a model ANYWHERE, download the instructions, and if you need to archive the models, for any reason, burn them to a disc. Simple standard computer information management, right?!?:yep:

Chrispysurfer

Jun 13, 2009
UHU's work is so lovely and detailed that I haven't yet felt up to the task of building one. My goal though is when done with my masters, I will try and tackle the black pearl. Here's to UHU and all the joy he has given us modelers!! Love seeing everyone builds of his work!

Z

Zathros

UHU has left enough models out there to last quite some time. That's for sure. A whole bunch of quality models. Kind of reminds me of the "Got Milk?" commercials. I got mine!! :)

Yorokobi

Zealot Valued Friend
Mar 12, 2004
I hope you made copies of the website pages with all the build information and pictures.

These things don't come with instructions - the instructions were part of what came down.

Status
Not open for further replies.