The Trench

Elite Lancer

Hey, it's been about a year since I've last been to these forums. Anyways, I'm trying to find pictures and information on something that I saw on the Discovery channel referred to as "the trench." It's a rail system that is used to transport cargo from harbors on flatbed cars.

I'm trying to design a harbor with a railroad system similar to the one that I saw on TV and create a 3D model of it. I haven't had any luck with my current research, but then I remembered this community of model railroaders so I hope you guys can help. :)

Elite Lancer

I'm not sure where it is. I know it's referred to as "the trench" because the tracks are actually in a trench in the center of a highway. I know it has three tracks going through it, but that's about it. I think I saw it on "Modern Marvels" on the history channel. Supportingly it's a cost effective way to transport all the cargo on low flatbeds. I know they double stack the cargo. That's about all the information I got on it.

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
Try a google on "Alameda Corridor".

Wayne nailed it right on the head, it is indeed the Alameda Corridor that I think you are talking about :thumb:

The Alameda Corridor is in Long Beach California and runs from the Port of Long Beach (One of the Largest ports in the USA) to Los Angeles and is a 20-mile stretch connecting the Port of Long Beach to Los Angeles to the Transcontinential Rail Network near downtown Los Angeles. The Alameda Corridor seperates trains from normal street traffic making it more efficiate for both moving frieght out of the area and for everyday traffic

Here is the Alameda Corridor's website to learn more about it: Alameda Corridor Transportation Authority - Home

Everytime I drive along this stretch of "trenchs" I am amazed by how awesome it is, I would love to model something like this in the future :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Also as Wayne said, go to google or your favorite search engine and type in "Alameda Corridor" for tons of pictures and information. Hope this helps you out

Elite Lancer

Yes that's just what I've been looking for. Thanks a lot for that information. :cool:

Like I said, I plan on designing a port and railroad system similar to that. I don't really create real models (I'm only 18 I don't have a lot of money) so I actually create virtual models. Once I create the 3D models I can actually animate or apply programming to them. So if I wanted to I could created an automated virtual cargo transport system (try saying that 5 times fast). However, I don't know much about programming so it'll be a few years before I know how to do that. I'm also working on designing a virtual city among other things.

Anyways, I'll post back here if I ever manage to make a decent 3d model of a train being loaded at the port.