"THE" Timesaver- Just how good are you?

MCL_RDG

Dec 8, 2002
S.E.PA.
Visit site
You've seen the "Timesaver" switching module- you know- where you have to switch some sidings in the most efficient manner, least amount of moves- kinda thing.

Well, let's see if this applies to model railroaders.

I started a new job a couple of months ago. This proximates a condensed map of my ride to work. Home is in the upper left hand corner, Work is down to the righ (both marked "X"). Along the way there are many rail sidings. It's about 5 miles and on a Saturday morning-takes 8 minutes (no traffic- green lights all the way), during the week- with traffic, 20 minutes. That's taking the beaten path- so to speak.

Assume your (in my case) girlfriend is expecting you at 7:00PM (and you're normally home by 5:30PM)- has worked hard all day, raced home and prepared a special meal for a relaxing, romantic evening. She lives 5 miles further away.

Just a couple of blocks away are a major junction/commuter terminal/freight yard, Lansdale, PA, two super hobbyshops (in blue) and a barbershop where ya can still get a straight razor shave.

Answer the following:

How long does it take to get home on a Friday night? Why did you spend so much money? Don't you own a watch? You don't really love me do you? "What do you mean you can't make it tonight"?!!! And, most importantly, which route do you take and why?

Explain here!!! (I could use some good explanations so be creative!)

Oh yeah- how many moves did it take- both in getting home and smoothing things over with the girlfriend/spouse???

Mark

Attachments

• maze.gif
    maze.gif
    15.8 KB · Views: 133

txcavgr

Jan 20, 2003
auburn, ME - SLR mile 29.34
Visit site
Mark
I think the key is to fake sick at work, bail about three hours early, find the best ATM location, and then fight your way home through the trainwatching and hobby shops. Skip the shave, or get a cordless and do it at the grade crossings waiting for trains to pass. If something good at the yard is happening, you might want to make sure there is a flower shop on the trail too...

When I still had my house, I crossed tracks 9 times each way to get to and from work! No hobby shop enroute though since Train and Trooper moved...

brakie

Nov 8, 2001
Bucyrus,Ohio
Visit site
Gee Honey,The rail traffic really picked up!I had to detour around the crossing.

Honey,there was a stalled train and I had to detour around the crossing..

Sorry Honey,I just had to finish that Franklin report and worked over, had a union meeting,I worked over tonight, ect ect.

We had a last minute sales or ?? meeting.

Honey,I ran out of gas and had to walk to get some then walk back to the car and take the car to get gas..

I had a flat and had to get it fix.

I had to stop and get a new battery for my watch,the band broke and I had to get it fix ect.

Honey I stopped at the hobby shop to see if my detail parts came in and just happen to see a boxcar kit that I liked and just had to buy it.

Honey I am not spending all that much money..The prices keep going up!

If all else fails,

Stop and get flowers,when you get home give her a big old kiss and hug and say Honey I love you and miss you so much today! :D

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
Originally posted by MCL_RDG

Answer the following:

How long does it take to get home on a Friday night? Why did you spend so much money? Don't you own a watch? You don't really love me do you? "What do you mean you can't make it tonight"?!!! And, most importantly, which route do you take and why?

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D
ROFLMAO here!
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Here are some answers that might work:
1. Gee honey, it usually takes 3 hours but I left early today.
2. I spent all this money cuz nothing's too good for you (haul out present)
3. I dropped my watch off at the jeweler's for repairs and saw this while I was there (see 2)
4. Of course I do
5. No no - I said I "can't wait" for tonight.

Route? Via flower/gift shop. Have fun making up!

cheers
:D Val

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
Mark,

Below is the plan for "Relationship Saver". It conforms with suggestions already offered above. Running time: quick as possible. You can also upgrade and add the "Expensive Restaurant" switching option. I'd recommend it.

Ralph

Attachments

• saver.jpg
    saver.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 82