The "somebody finally asked" answer

Tyson Rayles

Sep 25, 2001
Poverty Acres, North Carolina
Visit site
Well I've heard of a BL-2 by EMD, made back in the late 40's and considered one of the ugliest locos (I liked it) ever made. The style and fonts of the "press release" are like those done in the 50's and 60's yet the one date I can make out says 1992????? Pulling our leg are we???????:p

C

Catt

DUH!!!! Geez I should have recognized them for what they were seeing as I've done 3 of them in HO scale.

The BL20-2 was esentually a rebuilt locomotive,or rather built from the buyers refurbished parts.If memory serves me right it had new sheet metal but was built on a GP9 to GP20 frame with all of the mechanicals and electronics refurbished.EMD sold exactly none of them.

Tyson Rayles

Sep 25, 2001
Poverty Acres, North Carolina
Visit site
Let me get this straight, it was built with the buyers parts but none were ever sold so no buyer ever furnished the parts so no BL20-2 was ever built??????????? In other words it is a bogus loco cause due to no buyers it never existed?????????? Don't do this to me at my age I get confused easy.:D :p :D That aside it's good to see you posting again Catt, we missed you!:D

kettlestack

Jan 18, 2002
Scotland UK
Visit site
Tyson, you silly boy you! Catt! is effectively telling you he sent a heap of bits to EMD who built 3 units for him. Catt! simply paid for the refurbishment. (They didn't use the caboose chimney though, there wasn't space for it)
Am I having another of those "Senior Moments"? :D
I need another drink :confused:

Errol

Woodie

Mar 23, 2001
Northern Rivers NSW Australia
:eek: I've got one of those!! A Bachmann thingy I picked up for $20 second hand. Dog of a runner, jerks and stuff, but used it to bash it into a Victorian Railways lookalike! (it was a yellow Union Pacific one) It's got one of those vertical "orbital" looking motors in it. (Is there a name for those motors)??
Anyway, some pics of it (Dont have a proper side-on pic)

Attachments

• bl20stitch.jpg
    bl20stitch.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 92
C

Catt

The information I have states that beyond the demonstrators there were none of these built.Unless of course you count the models.:D

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jan 19, 2002
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Visit site
1992 sounds about right for the date. EMD actually did three of these. They were based on GP-9, GP-7, provided by the "buyer", and were upgraded with engine work and a new carbody. The rumor I heard is that EMDwanted $700,000.00 TO $800,000.00,
plus the original GP- ", for these locos, and the whole idea fell apart. THe BN actually ended up with the three "prototypes".

Catt,
Is there any way you could post photos of the three you built.
In the relm of different and interesting diesels, the BL20-2, and the SDL-39 share the top of the list .

To all those who " played the game", thanks.
Pete

Woodie

Mar 23, 2001
Northern Rivers NSW Australia
confuddled

Please explain...... Have I missed someting here????

You're saying none of these were sold????
Going on the CSX paint scheme thread...... then isn't this the same loco as the one above?????

CSXT_6027_1.JPG

Have I missed something here???

Perhaps there is something subtle I have missed???:confused: :confused: :confused:

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jan 19, 2002
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Visit site
Woodie,
While looking most like a GP60, because of the angled blower housing, and the virtually identical dynamic brake blister, the BL20-2 does have one distinctive feature, that being left over from GP7,GP9, the air tanks behind the fuel tank.
As for "never being sold", the three units that were built were leased to the BN. As far as I know, they are still in a "leased" status, and therefore have never been "sold".
Pete