The Rock River Cannon Ball

AndyWS

Here is 2' gauge 0-4-0 #3, built as a switcher tank locomotive by Henshel Locomotive Works in Germany. After retirement it was brought to the United States (specifically Edgerton, Wisconsin) and through the diligent work of Walter Durst and the other founders of the Rock River Thresheree, it was restored and modified to resemble a classic 19th century American locomotive.

Modifications included:
Conversion from a tank to a tender locomotive
Balloon smokestack (even though it is a coal burner)
prominent cowcatcher and headlight
bell and large whistle
enclosed wooden cab
the number 3 (same as that carried by the famous Confederate locomotive General)

I have many more pictures, but Photobucket is being a scumbag right now and won't upload them properly, so I'll finish this post later.

a4d7f42f.jpg

ee584218.jpg

4cfb8101.jpg

c8b938b8.jpg

AndyWS

Got the rest of the pictures done.

09-02-06Cannonball5.jpg

09-02-06Cannonball6.jpg

09-02-06Cannonball7.jpg

09-02-06Cannonball8.jpg

09-02-06Cannonball9.jpg

09-02-06Cannonball10.jpg

09-02-06Cannonball11.jpg

An unrestored Henschel locomotive the Thresheree aquired later. It looks more like what #3 looked like originally.

09-02-06HenschelLocomotive1.jpg

09-02-06HenschelLocomotive2.jpg

09-02-06HenschelLocomotive3.jpg

kf4jqd

Those are nice pictures Andy. I've been to the Natioanl Railroad Muesum in Green Bay. I use to live in Wausau a year and half ago. I don't miss Wisconsin but I do miss all the railroad stuff the state has to offer.

Andy:wave:

To me, it is amazing how things have progressed. I knew Durst when it was a very small operation in Shopiere, Wis. Matter of fact, he welded my sled runners when they would break. It must be the son, or grandson that rejuvenates those locos.

I've been to the thresheree several times, but not since my sister and bro-in-law died, some few years back. I just may get back up to Wisc. some time to see those locos.

Lynn