The Rock in Weatherford

rockislandmike

Nov 6, 2001
Edmonton AB
dayfornight.qazam.com
Welcome to Weatherford Oklahoma, just 69 miles west of Oklahoma City on Rock Island's route through to Amarillo and Tucumcari.

This first shot shows two of the town's industries - Weatherford Machine Works and White Grain. Rock Island 4309 is moving some grain hoppers around behind the buildings, while 4345 leads a transfer movement in the foreground. The truck is a brand new purchase, which I picked up yesterday at the Edmonton Model Train Show. It's from a local fellow who custom builds trucks - he goes under the name Top Dog Models (http://topdogmodels.8m.com/ ).

sep21a.jpg

From farther back, you can see 4328, another Rock Island GP38-2, and ODOT's storage yard for construction equipment working on the Route 66 resurfacing project east of town.

sep21c.jpg

Here's the rest of the deadheading locomotives, 4345 and 4321, as well as the third industry, Reynolds Trucking Services. All three industries are based on prototype "names" - this is the only one actually based on the prototype building itself.

sep21d.jpg

IAIS 604

Aug 31, 2003
Visit site
Very nice work, Mike!

Gotta love those GP38-2s!
Do you have any of the new P2Ks on order ???
I have heard that the fans are a bit too small, but that the drive has been improved. Will see when mine gets here. I am also superdetailing my Athearn model (instead of getting the second P2K GP38-2 of the same roadnumber).

Good looking truck - Top Dog does good work, too!

I'm working on the Iowa town of Fairfield, where the Rock Island Line crosses the BNSF/Amtrak line (I model the RI as a regional in 1996, if you recall). Just bought a grain elevator and some storage silos for Fairfield the other day - hope mine looks as good as yours!

Keep the Rock rolling !!!!