The"P" in LC&P....

steamhead

Thanks Jesso, Lester, Sarge....

I just placed an order with Walthers for chain I'll be needing to dress up the water tower, and some LPP....

Won't be long before this place is jumpin'...!! :mrgreen:

steamhead

S'more...

Well, I finally was able to detail the water tank....Here's what it looks like today.....

DSCF0962R.jpg

DSCF0963R.jpg

DSCF0958R.jpg

Comments, suggestions....always welcome....:thumb:

doctorwayne

Nicely done improvements on the water tank, Gus. :thumb::thumb: The low angle from which the pictures were shot shows-off well both the tank and the loco, too.

Wayne

cnw1961

Gus, I love your Portales yard :thumb::thumb::thumb:. The scene is absolutely convincing. Really looks like the places in NM in the pictures I found when I was looking for ideas for my ATSF layout. I did not model NM in the end, because I did not have enough space to do it right, so I even more enjoy seeing your layout. Great job.:thumb::thumb::thumb:

steamhead

Thanks to all you guys....You have all in one way or another contributed to my "ratchin' it up a notch"... Your posts and input has been invaluable in getting things done. Thanks again....:thumb:

Too Much Deatail Work To Go

He Gus, personally I wouldn't post these pictures with so much fine detail work left to do, but that's a matter of personal pride.:mrgreen::mrgreen:sign1. Seriously Steamhead, your work is so "GREAT", it gives us all something to shoot for, and I have taken the liberty of saving all your pictures to my hard drive to use for when help when I get that far along. Thank You for sharing Gus. :wave:

Duane

steamhead

Duane...I'm flattered that you think enough of my efforts to serve as a guide to your future activities. If it helps you, it will have been well worth the effort. Thanks a lot for your comments. :thumb:

Nazgul

Gus....somehow I missed this update to your layout progress (you should have PM'd me) :curse::winker:

WOW!
Beautiful work! It is hard to know where to begin....
I think that the most important thing is that the over-all feel or look of the locale is spot-on!:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:
The barren landscape, your use of color, texture, interesting topography, all come together beautifully!.

Your structures are extremely well done, weathered just right (to my eye). They all look like they belong there.

Gus, my friend, you have out-done yourself!:thumb: That is one sweet layout already.........and it isn't done yet

GOOD FOR US!:thumb:

steamhead

Steve...I guess there's more posts being missed here...Just ran across your last one....:eek:
How's your new layout coming..?

Have a Good New Year...all the best to you and the family...:thumb:

Kanawha

Gus, your layout is looking fantastic! :) I had a couple of quick questions. How steep are your grades, particularly leading to the overpass on the peninsula. Also, how long ago did you start work on the layout?

steamhead

Alex....Thanks for the kind words. I've been at this layout for about 5 years now and still have to build the center peninsula from the ground up. As I told a visitor the other day...I'm in no hurry to finish it, 'cause what would I do next..?? I'd have to tear it up and start all over again...:mrgreen:

The steepest grade is a 3.2% which is the line that comes up from the large yard and crosses over the main line on the bridge which can be seen in the background on a couple of pictures. It's also got an "S" curve in it, which I understand increases the "effective" grade. But the locos slated to work that line (a Spectrum Mountain and a Connie) can handle it without any problem. :eek:

nkp174

Do you have any custom decals on the way for your power? I like the touch of the Chinese Mike...it makes it look distinctive...I recognized it immediately, because my LHS had one for a while. The difference that basic scenery makes to a scene is quite amazing.

steamhead

NKP...I've tinkered around with the idea of making my own decals, but haven't gotten around to doing it. I've also looked into ordering them from someone who knows what they're doing, but that's about the size of it. :cry:
The only "local" power & rolling stock was lettered using dry transfers...one letter at a time...Ugghhh....:curse:
Any suggestions..??

nkp174

NKP...I've tinkered around with the idea of making my own decals, but haven't gotten around to doing it. I've also looked into ordering them from someone who knows what they're doing, but that's about the size of it. :cry:
The only "local" power & rolling stock was lettered using dry transfers...one letter at a time...Ugghhh....:curse:
Any suggestions..??

I haven't adequately solved this problem either. I'm probably going to just get custom ones made (I know it can be for around $30 for an 8.5"x11"). Pulsar Pro fx sounds interesting, but I suspect that the 4-6 sheets of custom decals I could have printed for the price of the custom system would be more than I'd need. Otherwise, I've done the dry transfer thing just like you and used expensive commercial decals (On3 decals are frequently $8-$9 per car :rolleyes:). If you've found the dry transfers to be tedious, I'd suggest getting some blank decal sheets and first apply the transfers to these, clear coat them, and then apply to your models...I think that would be easier...and a mistake wouldn't hurt the paint job on your model.