The Orlik DH98 Mosquito

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by David H, Jan 24, 2007.

1. paper warrior

paper warrior Member

Try rebooting, happens to me every time I clear the temp folder.
  2. Lukasz Fuczek

Lukasz Fuczek New Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Ɓukasz F. ;-)
  3. David H

David H Member

Hi Ben and Luckas

I am willing to learn from my mistakes and card thickness may be a problem. But surely only on the dimensions fore to aft? I did a lot of sanding to achieve a good front to back fit.

My little problem stems from girth or roundness and following the printed pattern between segments.

Lukas's pictures are great and show the little buggers should fit perfectly.

I will just keep on going... now wwhat will I use to stuff the belly tray?
  4. Ben Gal

Ben Gal Member

"I am willing to learn from my mistakes and card thickness may be a problem. But surely only on the dimensions fore to aft? I did a lot of sanding to achieve a good front to back fit."

Yes, I thought that it would only affect fore and aft, but if you push a sectional former half a millimeter north or south it will affect the fit of the skin - if the curve on the fuselage is heavy at that point. This is what happened to me with the Bf-109. Because everything was elongated fore an aft the skins were also off line.

This may have nothing to do with the issues you have, but from my limited experience with kits that are highly engineered it is better to keep the underlying structure the way that the designer meant it to be.

Keith
  5. David H

David H Member

Good. I don't consider this to be a show stopper and I am sure I can bodge a solution to my 1.5mm gap. It is all part of card modelling! Next time I will sand it some more!

But I will be a wee bit worried about the wing mountings until they are done.

No shame on Orlik then! Other than this one area the (former 24) the fit has been great.

D
  6. Lukasz Fuczek

Lukasz Fuczek New Member

7. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

Great job on that nose, Lukas, that is a hard part to get looking good and yours is excellent!

Russell
  8. Clashster

Clashster Member

I agree! Great looking nose! I envy your skill at that! One of the things that scares me about planes! Thanks for the pics!

Chris
  9. shoki2000

shoki2000 Active Member

Word of explanation here....
    Lukasz Fuczek designed the Mosquito and when David showed the problem with the fit I contacted Lukasz to let him know about the issue.
    Lukasz build the nose of the Mosquito to verify fit of the parts.
  10. Ben Gal

Ben Gal Member

Thanks Mike

That helps a lot with the understanding of this. I really like this subject and I think I will buy it. Is Lukasz going to go further with the build on this site?

Keith
  11. shoki2000

shoki2000 Active Member

If I understood him correctly, yes, he will continue the build in his spare time.
  12. Ben Gal

Ben Gal Member

And while we have the designer listening . . . I hate petals. Is there a posibility of doing this nose with the more common graduated sections?
    Years ago I tried the Mary version of this plane which also had petals, and I resorted to the "fill and sand" method to make this complicated nose. Here is a picture of how far I got. I was unhappy with it and junked the project. The big problem is that you have to do a lot of painting - which is counter to the whole concept of paper models.
    As I mentioned on another thread, I have never finished a model so don't lean heavily on my input here.
    This looks to be a wonderful model and someday I will definitely do it.

Keith

Attached Files:

13. Jim Krauzlis

Jim Krauzlis Active Member

That's awesome, Mike...it's invaluable to have a kit designer check in and respond to a build thread of their design, as you have done as well. I rather doubt you see that in any other hobby.

I am enjoying the photos from everyone's build of this kit, a beautiful design of a beautiful airplane. Thanks to all who have posted photos of their work.

Cheers!
    Jim
  14. Lukasz Fuczek

Lukasz Fuczek New Member

15. Ben Gal

Ben Gal Member

Wonderful build of a great model - it's on my list!
  16. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

Lukasz, that is one of the cleanest tail assemblies I have ever seen!
    Your modeling skills are outstanding! Beautiful work!
    I for one, would love to see more of your work!!

Thanks for sharing with us
  17. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Lukasz, excellant workmanship. I guess you showing us how it is done lays to rest any misgivings about the fit and design of the kit!
  18. Fishcarver

Fishcarver Active Member

"The big problem is that you have to do a lot of painting - which is counter to the whole concept of paper models."

Wow. There is a whole field of discussion right here....:)

I'll let some others take up the cudgel if they wish. I see nothing wrong with painting/filling/sanding whatever.

Jim
  19. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

I agree, there are no rules for building these things. However and whatever you do to build a model that You are pleased with is fair game. If you wanted to spray the whole thing pink and handpaint hearts allover it and you liked it consider it mission accomplished. (me personally would think that a little odd but that's just me).
  20. josve

josve Active Member

It's really nice to see the goal I have to aim for when I get my copy :)
    Do you use the lasecuts here Lukasz?