The original Springfield Southern is no more

RobertInOntario

Mar 22, 2006
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I could never imagine my wife ever saying she is going to do any serious damage to anything I own.

The same with me. But I think the points about balance and priorities are well made.

I'm saying this to myself as much as anyone because I can be very obsessive -- once I get into something, I can easily over-do it! So, I tell myself that -- by putting the layout aside occasionally -- is not only good overall, but it actually helps to improve my hobby :mrgreen: by keeping it fresh and not overly-familiar.

If I had to spend 8-10 hours a day working on my layout, I'd probably end up despising MRR! :eek:

Rob

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
Rod Stewart, Micheal Gross of "Family Ties" and "Tremors", Niel Young...we're everywhere...:eek::p:mrgreen:

Micheal Gross quit model railroading and has been selling off all of his models. When I met him at a train show, he said modeling in 12 inches to the foot scale was much more fun and his real railroad makes money whereas the model railroad just cost money!

By the way, I don't think your marital problems are probably not so much a problem between her an model railroading as it is other marital problems and the model railroad is just a way to lash out. I would second the recommendation of Gary Chapman's book, there is also a magazine that my wife and I subscribe to called "Marriage Partnership" published by "Christianity Today." We read it and then pass it on to our married children when we finish it. There are a lot of ideas on how to strengthen a marriage in that mag each month.

Dirtyd79

Aug 17, 2007
Pittsburgh,PA
Not to be the bearer of bad tidings but I think maybe it's time to tell her to hit the pike. If she can't at least tolerate your hobbies and it's gotten to the point she wants to trash your stuff there is no relationship to save. I had enough heartache and pain that came from putting women on pedestals in my life and going along to get along it turns from love to codependancy and you don't want that.

Maybe my answer isn't going to be the most popular and maybe I do sound like a chauvinist pig but like everyone else I've taken my lumps and figured out what I have to do. We all know relationships are a compromise but compromise is a two way street. When you're the one bending over backwards to appease your partner and they're not contributing then it's not compromise.

logicman

Greybeard
Apr 30, 2008
Kent, UK.
Greetings, Shaygets, greetings all!

The orator models in one dimension - the single dimension of speech perception.

The artist models in two dimensions - the dimensions of flat canvas.

The model-builder models in three dimensions - the dimensions of space.

The scarcest modeller's resource is the fourth dimension - we can never have enough.

If you find that time is too scarce, give it to others, and they will give it back tenfold.

:wave: