The "Original" Kittom Lumber Company. Part #2

Discussion in 'Logging, Mining and Industrial Railroads' started by Doctor G, Jul 2, 2017.

1. zathros

zathros -----SENIOR---- Administrator Moderator

Circlips for lifting tongs!! Brilliant!! :)
  2. Doctor G

Doctor G Active Member

Here is a short video of the operating steam donkey loading logs at the landing on the mini layout.

Hope you like it. Doc Tom
    zathros and lyter1958 like this.
  3. Doctor G

Doctor G Active Member

Putting the finishing touches on the mini logging layout.
    I painted the river and stream bottoms and their shorelines using acrylic paints.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Using an interesting product Dave Frary liked called “ModPodge” I applied the river and stream surface using a fan brush.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Following are pictures of the completed streams and river.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I would appreciate your comments on this product / technique and if you have ever used it to create river and stream scenes.

Thanks for looking. Doc Tom
    swampdaddy41 and lyter1958 like this.
  4. Gandolf50

Gandolf50 Researcher of obscure between war vehicles... Moderator

It looks very nice! I always found Modpodge to remail a bit soft and slightly sticky ( used it over decals and images on board or woodworks). I always used a casting resin in 3 layers minimum, tinting each layer from dark to light with a hint of green and blue, up to a clear top coat... Adds a great deal of depth but is messy and takes a long time, as well as a risk that it will warp from the heat produced and pull your layout apart. As far as your technique, apart from the lack of visual depth ( judging by the pix here), the effect is virtually the same with a great deal less work or mess!!
  5. Doctor G

Doctor G Active Member

Yes, it is not so messy. Particularly with the water effect at the very edge of the mini layout I elected to hold off on the casting resin. I have like you successfully use the casting resin in the past. Doc Tom
    Gandolf50 likes this.