The old 32 to 40 foot wood reefer

Discussion in 'HO Scale Model Trains' started by toptrain1, Oct 3, 2008.

1. johnflys2

johnflys2 Member

The last on my Heinz reefers

This is the last of my Heinz reefers. The screen shot shows the reefer as it passes through St Thomas north bound. John

Attached Files:

2. toptrain1

toptrain1 Member

This is happening again. Last time you restored my ablity to edit only new posts. I put up with this. Now I have to many things. New photos and discriptions to replace old ones. If I can't edit, I can't put my work here. A partial repair woun't be enought. Please fix my editing ability.
    toptrain frank
  3. CNJ999

CNJ999 Member

Here's another reefer not seen very often, originally offered by MDC about 25 years ago.

[​IMG]

NYW&B
  4. Bill Nelson

Bill Nelson Well-Known Member

refer cars in operations

I just stumbled across this thread and like it a lot.

I don't have many refers (I model a railroad whose traffic is mainly logs, lumber iron ore and iron, but I do have some through traffic. In the City which makes up my northern terminus , I am working to add a coal and ice distributor, and I am adding a small icing platform, so that icing refers can be added to operations. this won't happen all the time , due to the nature of most of my trafic, but should be an interesting wrinkle to operations.

Bill Nelson
  5. toptrain1

toptrain1 Member

MDC 36' reefer Schlitz beer

MDC 36' Reefer Schlitz beer

Attached Files:

6. toptrain1

toptrain1 Member

Re 34' reefers

Here is the IGA grocery stores reefer

Attached Files:

7. doctorwayne

doctorwayne Active Member

I finally replaced all of my home road's steel reefers with Accurail's wood-sided cars. I replaced the steps and grabs with metal parts, added some brake rigging, and Tichy ice platforms:
    [​IMG]

This Red Caboose kit, originally lettered for a California winery, sat on the shelves of the LHS for several years. Too unusual for southern Ontario, I guess, and, at $35.00, too expensive for me. When I walked in one day and saw an $8.00 price tag on it, I couldn't resist. :thumb:
    I stripped and repainted it, then, since it's modelled after a PFE prototype, lettered it with a combination of Champ and Microscale decals:
    [​IMG]

Wayne
  8. johnflys2

johnflys2 Member

Jacob Dold & Son's Reefer

Again, I am sorry these aren't HO scale but it is a rendition of a wood reefer.
    This Jacob Dold & Son's reefer appears in St Thomas Ontario on the virtual railroad London and Port Stanley. It was made using Clover House decals as a reference. John

Attached Files:

9. toptrain1

toptrain1 Member

10. doctorwayne

doctorwayne Active Member

Thanks, Frank. :)
    The colours do seem a little too vibrant in that photo and perhaps a little bit "off", too.
    I didn't weather the car too heavily, as it represents one re-built in late 1936, very close to my late '30s modelling era. ;-)

Wayne
  11. toptrain1

toptrain1 Member

Wayne. The PFE reefer is just fine as it is. It looks very good. I do not weather anything.
    frank
  12. toptrain1

toptrain1 Member

IMG_0769.JPG Here ia a couple of old wood reefers. And yes they are made from old wood reefer kits. Decker Meats, and Schlitz Beer.
  13. Bill Nelson

Bill Nelson Well-Known Member

I like those. am going to have to pay attention to reffers soon, I got a Tichy train groups Icing platform kit, very detailed, and designed it segments, so it should be easy to build to whatever length. In my new Harlow area I'm going to put it on a siding near the yard, I can put iceing tabs on cars , along with thier destination tabs, to indicate which refers need to be iced as they pass through Harlow, which should add some operational interest, if I get more reefers.

Bill Nelson
  14. toptrain1

toptrain1 Member

These are a couple of shorter wood kit. Maybe 35 or 36 feet long. A common road name.
    frank